• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you drive your boat? *Wind noise*

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A simple question....how do you sit when you are driving your boat?

I sit with the bolster up 99% of the time as I prefer the visibility. However when standing the wind noise is cut down 70% and is much more enjoyable. However I can't reach the throttle well which makes it tough in rough water.

Anyone ever come up with some kind of wind screen to change the air trajectory of the windshield? It literally hits me right in my ears.

'15 sx192

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Being on the ocean I stand 90% of the time. It gives me much better visibility for waves, boat wakes and lobster pot buoys. If I need to adjust throttle for a large wake or wave I sit momentarily to make the adjustment. By standing I see far enough ahead to give me plenty of time for power changes. On the few occasions I've had to make an immediate power change while standing I just reach down, make the change then sit to readjust the RPMs.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I stand the vast majority of the time. When I need to adjust the throttles a lot, tend to do a half sit/half stand on the bolster.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sit with bolster up. There's no standing at the helm on a 190 otherwise I would.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stand up with my right hand on the wakeboard rack for stability

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
stand if its calm..... or turn seat sideways, with knee on the seat. (mine has no bolster)

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That maybe the exact answer I'm looking for. Did this get you out of the jet blast of wind noise off the wind shield?

I boat mostly in open water, I'm not crazy about standing and leaning down to adjust throttles. The 19' gets kicked around too much for that to be safe.
It worked for me beautifully, the range is far better than I anticipated. The "locking groove" does not align witht he boat's axis but it does not bother me at all. If it did I could still redrill the screw holes in the deck, as others have done. I was skeptical about this purchase/project but decided it was worth it as an easy (and fully reversible) $100 experiment.
The OEM pedestal is not going back in!

--

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It worked for me beautifully, the range is far better than I anticipated. The "locking groove" does not align witht he boat's axis but it does not bother me at all. If it did I could still redrill the screw holes in the deck, as others have done. I was skeptical about this purchase/project but decided it was worth it as an easy (and fully reversible) $100 experiment.
The OEM pedestal is not going back in!

--
I'll need to measure mine. I found this thread.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/adjustable-seat-pedestal-install.6447/page-2

Not having the ability to get under the windshield during cooler weather maybe worrysome...I could always swap it back if need be, I'm very rarely out in cool weather anyway.

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
699C4FE6-935D-47B7-A358-4DE4CF39F565.jpeg Bolster up ,sitting up high works for me.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Depends on the situation

If we are cruising, on plane, I’m often sitting, Bolster down.

If we are doing anything else, I’m usually between leaning on bolster and half standing

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Likewise, depends on the situation and the water. Sometimes it's sitting on the seat with the bolster down; even when towing a boarder. This past weekend I needed just a touch more height and in those cases I'll sit on a throwable PDF. I never use the bolster, although others who do drive do....I find doing so gets me too high and the mirror is in the way.

When docking I raise the bolster and stand.

For throttle adjustments, I usually put my hand on the fiberglass above the throttles and make fine adjustments with my thumb/forefinger reaching down. I learned this trick years ago as having the outside of my palm rest on the boat, I have an awareness of how much I'm moving the throttles.

Oh yeah, if I stand, then my first mate is moved from her assigned station...
IMG_1041.JPG

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sitting with bolster up if cruising. Standing if I’m driving and they are doing water sports (tubing, knee boarding etc).

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like the seat pedestal is the ticket. I need to pay more attention to when the wind noise goes away as I raise up.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I stand or sit on the booster bolster.
Until I cant stand how horrible it feels to siton a teeny bolster and stand again.
until I cannot stand the chair (all the way adjust back) pushing against my calves so I sit
over and over...

the 2015's have a really bad teeny booster/bolster to sit on. There is more room than I had in my 2011 though.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to brag but... when the water gets really rough the @Ridesteady is the ticket! At least in the non-E boats.
I push the throttles up far, so there is no need to worry about them dropping and cruise by controlling the RPM (electronically synched!) with the knob. It's awesome.
upload_2018-10-2_22-39-18.png

--

Last edited:

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So real dumb...but I went out yesterday since the first time posting and sitting on the throwable on top of the bolster made a big difference.

Not sure why I never thought of that, I was going to measure how far out of the wind I needed to be but it was still pretty comfortable and cut down 90% of the noise. I did have to sit just about completely straight up and I'm 6'0.

Thanks for the replies folks, and even silly simple idea's help other members!