• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many people realistically on a 252SD?

snowman_audio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I know this might be a stupid question, but realistically how many people can safely ride on a 252SD? It will be in tampa for island/sandbar hopping. Longest distance is just under 5 miles.

I know the capacity is 12/2,600. So in theory that is 12 people at 217lbs each. Yes, that means no other gear in the boat. But what if 10 people with an average weight of 160lbs (8 females and 2 guys). You figure there is 100-150lbs of normal gear on the boat already (anchors, ropes, tools, etc). A fully loaded 36qt cooler is 70ish lbs with a miscellaneous 50lbs of stuff (clothes, towels, etc).

so that’s 270lbs of gear and 1,600lbs of people. 1,870lbs total. By the capacitive numbers it should be ok. Or am I forgetting something that adds into the weight capacity? I know the seating will be tight, but doable.

thoughts?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know this might be a stupid question, but realistically how many people can safely ride on a 252SD? It will be in tampa for island/sandbar hopping. Longest distance is just under 5 miles.

I know the capacity is 12/2,600. So in theory that is 12 people at 217lbs each. Yes, that means no other gear in the boat. But what if 10 people with an average weight of 160lbs (8 females and 2 guys). You figure there is 100-150lbs of normal gear on the boat already (anchors, ropes, tools, etc). A fully loaded 36qt cooler is 70ish lbs with a miscellaneous 50lbs of stuff (clothes, towels, etc).

so that’s 270lbs of gear and 1,600lbs of people. 1,870lbs total. By the capacitive numbers it should be ok. Or am I forgetting something that adds into the weight capacity? I know the seating will be tight, but doable.

thoughts?
Im going to bet that your 2600# is total weight of people and cargo, and your people weight is less than 2600#. Check the sticker on the boat.

On the capacity sticker on my boat the total weight of people and cargo is 2250#, with only 1835# of that being people.

As I understand it, the weight limit has to do with a USCG formula for determining occupancy / cargo weight.

I like your girls to guys ratio!

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I've always ran out of seating space before weight capacity, so do you have a comfortable place for 10 people to sit? You said it's doable, but consider what you are keeping in underseat storage and how you are going to access it with butts in every seat. Weight distribution can be a bitch too if you come across a heavy chop or a strong cross-wind.

And I second @FSH 210 Sport said! Why don't you just drop the other guy and call it a day?

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I've had 8 on-board my 252S, very comfortably. 4 adults in the cockpit, 3 adults and a child in the bow. Could've easily had 2 more adults in the cockpit comfortably. We cruised for a bit over an hour, then stopped to pickup crabs, then back to the dock and had a crab feast. I'd say 10 is extremely doable.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve had 8 adults on my AR230 comfortably, and we traveled 15+ water miles every day.. Although that was on a lake and not on the ocean!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve done 10 adults on a 240. If your just loading up and going out to the sandbar it ain’t bad. People weren’t sandwiched in but it was about full. I wouldn’t have wanted to been on the boat all day like that though. Once at the sandbar everyone gets in the water/on the swim mat/swim deck.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

thoughts?
Your math is wrong...1 guy and 11 females will fit just fine. But I think the 1 guy will be rendered uselessly dizzy with his head on a swivel. Your just asking for trouble and unnecessary attention. lol

Last edited:

snowman_audio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I've always ran out of seating space before weight capacity, so do you have a comfortable place for 10 people to sit? You said it's doable, but consider what you are keeping in underseat storage and how you are going to access it with butts in every seat. Weight distribution can be a bitch too if you come across a heavy chop or a strong cross-wind.

And I second @FSH 210 Sport said! Why don't you just drop the other guy and call it a day?
lol wish I could but he is family so don’t really have a choice to drop him 🤣. Maybe I can pull him behind in a tube out to the sandbar 🤣🤷‍♂️

snowman_audio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length

from my count 11 adults could sit comfortably on the boat and if he wasn’t family his ass would say on shore 🤣