• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ideas anyone?

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have been out the last 2 days with my ls2000, Saturday I had an issue one time with the starboard engine slowly losing rpms and then it dies, thought I had a rope around the shaft or something so popped that port and it was clean. Started it back up and had no problem for the rest of the day for probably 2 more hours. Went out yesterday and after an hour or so of half to full throttle the same thing happened, Started fine again off I went for a few more minutes then died again. It would then start but I couldn't keep it running with the throttle. Limped back home a few miles on 1 engine and started looking into things. Couple things, I had all the oil lines done last year and have no issues with anything popping off oil related, I see nothing fuel related upon a visual, now it cranks over way slower than normal but the boats at my girlfriends house so I can't do anything without tools. I also had a good piss stream from that side the last 2 days so I don't think it was a cooling issue or anything either. My plan was to pull the plugs and crank it over to see if it's still cranking slow and if so is it safe to assume it's a piston ready to melt or severely busted up? I don't hear anything bouncing around in the cylinders like a broken spark plug or anything either. This is too damn early in the season to be waiting 6-8 weeks for a rebuild! Any suggestions guys?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I have been out the last 2 days with my ls2000, Saturday I had an issue one time with the starboard engine slowly losing rpms and then it dies, thought I had a rope around the shaft or something so popped that port and it was clean. Started it back up and had no problem for the rest of the day for probably 2 more hours. Went out yesterday and after an hour or so of half to full throttle the same thing happened, Started fine again off I went for a few more minutes then died again. It would then start but I couldn't keep it running with the throttle. Limped back home a few miles on 1 engine and started looking into things. Couple things, I had all the oil lines done last year and have no issues with anything popping off oil related, I see nothing fuel related upon a visual, now it cranks over way slower than normal but the boats at my girlfriends house so I can't do anything without tools. I also had a good piss stream from that side the last 2 days so I don't think it was a cooling issue or anything either. My plan was to pull the plugs and crank it over to see if it's still cranking slow and if so is it safe to assume it's a piston ready to melt or severely busted up? I don't hear anything bouncing around in the cylinders like a broken spark plug or anything either. This is too damn early in the season to be waiting 6-8 weeks for a rebuild! Any suggestions guys?
Seems like a lot of folks have solved similar issues with a new battery…

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
the plugs are the report card for the combustion chambers silver on them is the kiss of death but also do not rule out something in the pump or a bad bearing locking the pump. Usually if a 2 stroke takes a turn for the worst it does not come back to life like you described once it quits, it quits. To check the rods and rod bearings , remove the plugs and rotate the engine by hand watch for the piston to come to the top and when it starts it's downward travel use a screw driver and push down on top of the piston , it should be tight if it has any play and drops a bit that one is bad check them all and when you remove the plugs check the gap on them if one is closed it was probably hit by a piston.

Last edited:

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just put a new battery in 2 weeks ago and the port side starts and runs just fine so I'm not thinking battery issue. Can't be a starter issue either because it WAS starting and running good. What should I be looking at for a bearing issue? The shaft being able to turn? That's why I was thinking looking at the plugs later when I get home. I had the port side lock up 2 years ago and had to put a SBT rebuild in. I know everyone hates them but I don't know of an alternative. Btw, the port side was the rebuilt on, not the one that's currently giving me issues. Worst case, what's an alternative to SBT? I'd have no problem pulling and swapping an engine but I don't have the ability to rebuild it myself knowledge wise.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have purchased several rebuilt 2 stroke engines from S B T years ago and each one did not last long And the warrantied replacement engines were no better but like I said that was a long time ago I buy a lot of parts from them and have not had an issue but when it comes to rebuilding an engine and surfacing each part perfectly and doing proper torque patterns etc especially on a 2 stroke I think this is where the difference comes into play I did go through the last one they gave me and put it together piece by piece broke it in slow and always warmed it up in the beginning of each day ant that engine lasted forever. The difference between having an interest in it and just getting it done.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very true, I broke in my port side by the book and exactly how they wanted it done. I've had no issues with it yet but just know people seem to not care for their work but I've never seen any company local or otherwise that rebuilds them and ships like they do!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
They have been doing it for a long time I live close to them so I have been there personally many times. They are in Clearwater I am in Pinellas Park probably 10 miles away

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately for me I'm a bit further! Fingers crossed its a spun bearing in the pump I guess. That would be easier at this point.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, I just got a chance to pull the plugs. Nothing looks horrible like a detonated cylinder. I also turned it over without plugs and it spins over as fast as it should without. Here is the plugs. First pic is the good motor left plug is rear right is bow. 2nd pic is motor in question left is rear right is bow. The rear looks slightly different on the questionable motor buy not aluminum covered like should be if cylinder was melted down. I'm running to get new plugs for it now but doubt it'll do anything. I'll let you know in a bit.

Attachments

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Compression test will tell you if the cylinder is good or not. They should all be equal within 10-15% of each other.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I jut thought it was strange that it happened all at once. Unless of course it let go but last engine that did literally locked up and wouldn't turn over. Compression test tomorrow! I found a guy that'll work on it and not have to drag it 2 hours from me. He knew exactly what I was talking about and so on at my local non yamaha dealership. He says he'd rather work on jet boat and skis and that's what he does but settles for outboards because there isn't a dealership around that touches skis.