• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is there less boating than Pre Covid?

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got back from a great day boating on Alum Creek Reservoir near Columbus Ohio. The lake was very empty as was the "beach". Most of my mid week boating days have been this way this year. During Covid it was busier. I'm thinking it's even less than 2019. I was wondering if this is other people's experience.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes. This year is definitely different. Much slower out there during the week.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was out last weekend and 10AM they still have space in the boat ramp, usually if I dont get to the boat ramp by 7am its already full, I believe its because of fuel price too.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Smells like a boat buyers market this fall. The boats going up for sale has already increased as folks are going back to offices more and more. We have noticed it on our lake as well. Post July 4th, traffic dropped off dramatically.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The boat ramp is the quietest since I started going there in 2019. It used to be crazy at 1PM and parking getting limited by 2PM. By 3PM people were starting to park trailers anywhere that it fits. I used to tell people to arrive at 12PM to avoid that craziness, but this year it's not an issue. I've only seen the parking lot at 50-75% capacity. I think its because of rising fuel costs, inflation pressures, and people who bought more boat than they could afford. I'm enjoying it. I have my little 19ft boat that costs me very little and I'm using it a ton this year.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
so I should sell my 2016 242 now before the bubble bursts.....then wait and buy it back for less.....:eek::eek::eek:

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was at Lake Gaston for a week to take a break from the salt water for the wifey as she loves the lake and it was super busy. Gas prices didn’t seem to affect it any more than the last few years

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
so I should sell my 2016 242 now before the bubble bursts.....then wait and buy it back for less.....:eek::eek::eek:
That’s why I sold mine in June ;)

(For twice what I paid for it in 2016)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve noticed that on some days where I’d think there would be a lot of people there hasn’t been… other days there were still the charge of the pontoon boats right at 1000hrs.

I have not been out on a weekend day yet this year but this coming weekend I will be taking a friend of mine fishing so that will be interesting as the lake water should be pretty warm now, it was 74* the other day and we have had a string of very warm days with high overnight lows… Imma head out tomorrow as well… weather looks Bitchin! 🤙

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think not only gas prices, but price increases across the board have something to do with it as well. I calculated the impact on gas prices for us vs 2 years ago is almost $6000 more a year. Food prices, airline tickets, etc. I think it adds up to some people saving money where they can and with what is discretionary income.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Weekends still crowded as all get out, but virtually empty on week days around here

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wow, not like that at all in the Tampa FL area, busy during the week and a zoo on the weekends! Pre COVID it was hardly ever this busy! A couple weeks ago I went out just in the bay to this place called Beer Can Island (Pine Key on Google Maps) on a Wednesday and there were probably 20 boats on that island alone.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There seems to be more used boats for sale this Summer as compared to the last two Summers, so it wouldn't surprise me that the ramps may be a little bit less busy. 🤔

Jim

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After reading some these and thinking about it, it seems the vacation / destination areas might still be busy but the local lakes are quiet since everyone is vacationing this year.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not in my area. Way fewer than before July 4th, but still quite crowded. I saw a huge drop after July 4th that was normal pre-covid but had not been the case in the last 2 years with Covid. I do see prices on used market returning to earth.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, not like that at all in the Tampa FL area, busy during the week and a zoo on the weekends! Pre COVID it was hardly ever this busy! A couple weeks ago I went out just in the bay to this place called Beer Can Island (Pine Key on Google Maps) on a Wednesday and there were probably 20 boats on that island alone.
Yeah, my local ramp is a madhouse on the weekends, not sure about weekdays. I have to get there early to get a good parking spot.
But at the same time, I have seen some local used boat dealers that had empty lots, all of a sudden have way more boats on the lot. None are JetBoats though.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yea doubling down on it not slowing down in my area, got a late start on Sunday and didn't get to the first boat ramp till a little after 1000 and it was completely full. I had to drive another 30 min to one a little less known to even be able to put in the water. If you have ever been in the Tampa / Clearwater / St Pete area you know we have a lot of boat ramps, so when they are all full you know its busy!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We went out today (Tuesday) and it was very busy here still. The weather was a little nicer than normal today so maybe a lot of people had the same idea and ditched work, but I was surprised at the number of boats and jet skis out on a random weekday.

Even saw a boat full of topless girls in full party mode…never seen that on a Tuesday!

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We went out today (Tuesday) and it was very busy here still. The weather was a little nicer than normal today so maybe a lot of people had the same idea and ditched work, but I was surprised at the number of boats and jet skis out on a random weekday.

Even saw a boat full of topless girls in full party mode…never seen that on a Tuesday!
What lake do you boat at, we never have that party here in Central Ohio. We just have the weird old guy sun bathers in their thongs on the edge of the boating beach.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was at Lake Gaston for a week to take a break from the salt water for the wifey as she loves the lake and it was super busy. Gas prices didn’t seem to affect it any more than the last few years
Gaston used to be the common mans lake. It's now full of rich people with 200k+ wake boats that don't care about fuel prices. I was up there a few weeks ago during the week and one day it was dead and next it was a zoo. That lake has been discovered now by the rich folk and has turned into mini Lake Norman. Pushing the OG's out and bulldozing houses to build mansions.