• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this a lot of fiberglass damage? ‘15 AR192

Slurms

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hey all, I got another thread going on 2 boats im looking at, but the first boat I test drove was a 2015 AR192 with 91 hours.

Everything went great, 5 adults on it and cruised nice, thing was super clean, second owner, he said first owner babied it and always had it covered.

okay great! Right? Well a few red flags. I ask how long he owned it, said maybe a month but bough a 242 limited right away after (self proclaimed always buying/selling stuff, and upgrading. Owns a tow truck business and has cash and is always changing his mind).

well I get my hands on registration and he had it for 7 days and never registered it in his name, still original owner. Odd right?

then comes the problem, I see this ding in the bottom, hard to tell how deep, was knocking around it and didn’t seem to crazy, but couldn’t see inside the fiberglass with the felt flooring. Also at the top rail area above where the ding is is a 1/2” split, not big but made me think maybe all part of same incident? Lastly the decal on that side of boat peeled off, guy said it was from sitting in sun, but it is on the same side of boat… maybe not related, but maybe it is?

as you can see kind of odd… pretty good deal tho at 22k, so haven’t totally written it off, I was ready/planning to buy when I saw it but ended up walking and saying I needed to sleep on it.

any thoughts?

Attachments

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any damage like that on the bottom I would consider structural and could easily be a 10k+ repair. I would personally run away from this one.

usmcgoose

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The picture looks as though there was an attempt to cover the crack and it has worn off. To know for sure, you may want to look into a hull certification inspection and maybe a mechanical inspection as well. The hull inspection is comprehensive inspection of the entire boat and let you know of any flaws (other than what you see). The mechanical inspection looks at the engines and provides a detailed analysis of the hours, time spent at different RPM bands for the hours of the boat, any engine codes and at what hour they came in, as well as a visual inspection. I'm not sure your price point but a mechanical inspection as well as the hull inspection may be warranted.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
How will you register/title it? It's still in the original owner's name? Where I live you can't do that.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Follow your gut. You walked away because things keep adding up making the boat highly sus. There will be other good deals along the way!

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also if he has signed the title when he bought it but didn’t register it, run away faster. You can’t jump titles, he has to register it. Had a title issue with a trailer years ago, thankfully didn’t need to register it, but it was a hard lesson that didn’t cost much, thankfully.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey all, I got another thread going on 2 boats im looking at, but the first boat I test drove was a 2015 AR192 with 91 hours.

Everything went great, 5 adults on it and cruised nice, thing was super clean, second owner, he said first owner babied it and always had it covered.

okay great! Right? Well a few red flags. I ask how long he owned it, said maybe a month but bough a 242 limited right away after (self proclaimed always buying/selling stuff, and upgrading. Owns a tow truck business and has cash and is always changing his mind).

well I get my hands on registration and he had it for 7 days and never registered it in his name, still original owner. Odd right?

then comes the problem, I see this ding in the bottom, hard to tell how deep, was knocking around it and didn’t seem to crazy, but couldn’t see inside the fiberglass with the felt flooring. Also at the top rail area above where the ding is is a 1/2” split, not big but made me think maybe all part of same incident? Lastly the decal on that side of boat peeled off, guy said it was from sitting in sun, but it is on the same side of boat… maybe not related, but maybe it is?

as you can see kind of odd… pretty good deal tho at 22k, so haven’t totally written it off, I was ready/planning to buy when I saw it but ended up walking and saying I needed to sleep on it.

any thoughts?
RUN.

That guy sounds nefarious to say the absolute least, he’s already proven to you he is a liar 🤥 Sounds like a car thief to me.

Slurms

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Well thank you all for such quick responses, it’s what my gut said, but my heart didn’t want to believe it lol. Glad I walked… too many things that gave me pause, title issues + damage.

I’m going to leave this one alone and stay on the hunt!

Thanks for keeping me sane!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
$22,000 isn't an amazing deal at this time. I sold a 2014 AR192 with 300 hours last year for $19,500 and had a lot of mods and extras. Be careful of these resellers that buy, never register, and flip it. They have no idea what they're selling and are shady. I bet he bought that boat at a low price, negotiating that it has extensive fiberglass damage, repaired it, and now wants to pass it on to you. My friend and I are constantly on fb marketplace buying vehicles and they're EVERYWHERE since COVID. I've been doing this since 2005 craigslist days so I'm really experienced. These guys received unemployment, government benefits, and worked off the books flipping cars when values were crazy inflated. A lot of foreigners in NYC doing it. Always look at their other listings and when they are selling tons of vehicles, run. Even used car dealers that pick up stuff at auctions, run. They're all crap. It took me a while to find my mom's car, a 2010 honda accord, I bought it from an american guy that his son was driving the car, 100x more trustworthy. 5 months later and 0 issues with the car

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$22,000 isn't an amazing deal at this time. I sold a 2014 AR192 with 300 hours last year for $19,500 and had a lot of mods and extras.
I replied on the other board to his post this way. I agree 100%, especially with new models being announced in a month or so, these will drop back to pre-covid pricing quickly now that we are past the holiday.

FSHER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good call on the walking/running away.

That definitely looks like a shady repair or a band aid on previous damage. It also looks like they painted it and used an automotive type clear coat that's now peeling off. As far as I know, these boats used gel coat and not paint/clear. If he wants to sell it he needs to have the title in his name. You don't wanna get caught up in that mess. Sometimes its difficult enough trying to register legitimate paperwork.

I bought my boat privately a while ago and still haven't registered the trailer. The trailer still had 9 months left on the registration when i bought it and that seller was fine with me using those 9 months but during that time i deleted his contact info and all the communication that we had. the seller lived 4 hours from me and he had signed the title for the trailer but didn't have a price listed on it so they wanted to tax me on the trailer in the amount that I bought the boat for. so I mentioned going to the parking lot and filling it out and coming back and she said nope you need the seller to do it. After a longer argument I left and came back a couple days later with a sale price on the signed title, then they said I needed a bill of sale that I don't have. At that point my response was, I have money, Id like to give it to you today and if you don't take it today than you wont get it tomorrow. Registration expired almost 2 years ago. I made my own choices but I feel like I can either forge the sellers info on a bill of sale, which is illegal or I can drive around with an unregistered trailer, which is also illegal. sort of a moral conundrum if your a literal person.

keep looking, you never know when your boat will pop up.

-Mark

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you have the hull number it may come up and show an insurance claim on the boat it may have even ended up at copart. The sticker missing was probably due to damage if your sticker gets gouged up you peel it off and buff out the gel gloss to make it look better. The sticker missing was it on the same side as the hull repair? Registering a boat should not be a problem I have done the same thing with motorcycles you just write up the bill of sale in what ever name the paperwork is titled, this new sellers name is most likely not written on anything because he knows how to flip a vehicle.