• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

jet boat leans at speed

jumjum01

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi. I am new in the marine world. I build a small aluminium boat with a seadoo 3d pwc engine. I basicly took the complete driveline and fitted into this alu boat. I run great, but the problem is that is at speed it leans to the starboard side. The greater the speed the more it leans. The impeller turn counter-clockwise. The hull seems pretty symetrical and the boat seems to be in balance.

Kristian from Denmark

Attachments

• jetboat.jpg
    jetboat.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 52
Did you try to counter the lean by shifting weight to port side? Fuel tank driver seat etc?

Yes, then it leans to port at low speeds.. It seems like the motor is (torque lifting). But the jet drive should even that out. I have never seen a jetski tilt at speed, so I dont understand why my boat does it..

Attachments

• 20220713_112504.jpg
    20220713_112504.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 53
Maybe you need trim tab or research on tiny boat like this YouTube cleetus McFarland build many of this u can try to message him or put comments in his channel

Yes, then it leans to port at low speeds.. It seems like the motor is (torque lifting). But the jet drive should even that out. I have never seen a jetski tilt at speed, so I dont understand why my boat does it..

I definitely think it is torque tilting.. your boat barely has any draft at least looking at the pictures, and when you get going there is even less, so it is going to settle onto the starboard side at speed… you might just need a couple of fixed trim tabs out back on each side, or a set of motorized ones that you can adjust independently to get rid of that lean.

He needs a special ride plate built for it. I did some for my new Yamaha skies because they have a really bad chine walk that wants to throw you off around 20 mph TOP secret though can not show pictures of it but if you saw it you would do a HOMER SIMPSON instantly DOH however there is a reason p w c's have sponsons and the correct design would probably solve the issue 1657755349895.png

... or simply redesign the boat to have 2 jets. With counterrotating engines, of course. Should be simple. [ha!]

Or, in addition to the above ideas: ballast and/or a keel might help.

Neat little boat. Would love some more pics of it...

Thanks for all your answers.. It seems the best solution might be a different or modyfied ride plate. As an expirement I will try and make the plate angle adjustable sideways, to compensate for the torque tilt. I kind of mabye makes sense the at higher speeds, when the boat planes, the drag area of the boat becomes smaller and most af the balance will rely on the ride plate.. so a ride plate angled clockwise might be able to counteract the cc torque

More pictures..

Attachments

• 20220714_091551.jpg
    20220714_091551.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20220714_091558.jpg
    20220714_091558.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220714_091642.jpg
    20220714_091642.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220714_091724.jpg
    20220714_091724.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
checkout their design seems like swim platform in the back instead of ride plate does it for them but it’s rotax engine not sure if that makes any difference

Back