• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot's New Surf Tech, Thrust Vector Wake

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Will, my boat is a 2015 212X so no surf point....the loss of turning radius may go hand in hand with the heavy steering we keep coming back to, I will say with the vectors I had on the boat previous to the TVW I could turn on a dime, now, not so much......for me that is a larger issue for smaller lakes we sometimes go on. My son agrees with that assessment after driving it, he takes the boat out more than I do....I do know we have to fine tune the upstop feature on the starboard side a touch, but this will not solve these two issues.
Yesterday we tested a modified deflector on a single engine boat and found that the weight in the wheel was reduced by IMO 50%. We believe the modified parts are going to impact the twin in the same way.

We're going to test the twin today or tomorrow when parts arrive. If you're ok with it, we'll send you new parts when they've been tested here and you can swap those out in under 10 minutes. From what I can tell the ride is even drier and the weight in the wheel is significantly lighter.

Thanks for the feedback!

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yesterday we tested a modified deflector on a single engine boat and found that the weight in the wheel was reduced by IMO 50%. We believe the modified parts are going to impact the twin in the same way.

We're going to test the twin today or tomorrow when parts arrive. If you're ok with it, we'll send you new parts when they've been tested here and you can swap those out in under 10 minutes. From what I can tell the ride is even drier and the weight in the wheel is significantly lighter.

Thanks for the feedback!
I know you're working hard on it and will come up with a solution, no one should expect perfection on the first go around....good thing to have the feedback from all the good people here.....I think you're on the right track! I'd be happy to test out the new parts when you have them available, just keep me posted and all that....happy to help where I can

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know you're working hard on it and will come up with a solution, no one should expect perfection on the first go around....good thing to have the feedback from all the good people here.....I think you're on the right track!
Thank you for your patience and giving us some grace on this. We really thought we had knocked it out of the park on the first try but have been humbled in this by several factors.

Like they say what does not kill you makes you stronger. Coming out the other side the product will be better and that's what we're after. Thanks for the encouragement. It is appreciated more than you know right now!

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you for your patience and giving us some grace on this. We really thought we had knocked it out of the park on the first try but have been humbled in this by several factors.

Like they say what does not kill you makes you stronger. Coming out the other side the product will be better and that's what we're after. Thanks for the encouragement. It is appreciated more than you know right now!
No worries. I own my business as well and I understand how it can go sometimes. You’re doing all you can to make it right as quickly as possible. At the end of the day that’s what matters to all of us here. Extending GRACE is the least we can do for each other. Again, I think I speak for all when we say we appreciate your efforts. You’ll get it figured out in time.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No worries. I own my business as well and I understand how it can go sometimes. You’re doing all you can to make it right as quickly as possible. At the end of the day that’s what matters to all of us here. Extending GRACE is the least we can do for each other. Again, I think I speak for all when we say we appreciate your efforts. You’ll get it figured out in time.
Sure, but you still want to use root cause analysis, when it comes to discussion forum like this one.
If your reverse nozzle turning radius is not affected by the TVWs, meaning you can turn the nozzles out the same angle and nothing obstructs the range (you can test this on the trailer) - your turning radius is likely due to the fins dragging in the water.
In other words, this seems to me the issue with turning radius is distinct from heavy steering feel and/or any additional forces it may take - that @JetBoatPilot is solving with a modified deflector.

--

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Its coming along and I'm sure it will be better than before.

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sure, but you still want to use root cause analysis, when it comes to discussion forum like this one.
If your reverse nozzle turning radius is not affected by the TVWs, meaning you can turn the nozzles out the same angle and nothing obstructs the range (you can test this on the trailer) - your turning radius is likely due to the fins dragging in the water.
In other words, this seems to me the issue with turning radius is distinct from heavy steering feel and/or any additional forces it may take - that @JetBoatPilot is solving with a modified deflector.

--
That's my feeling also, the two issues are a combined effect....I'm sure they will get it figured out.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's my feeling also, the two issues are a combined effect....I'm sure they will get it figured out.
Just make sure that nothing is stopping the nozzle from making a full turn next time you're under the boat while on the trailer.

We designed them to clear with no obstructions.

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just make sure that nothing is stopping the nozzle from making a full turn next time you're under the boat while on the trailer.

We designed them to clear with no obstructions.
Will do....can check that easily enough.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Thanks for the feedback!
I just received my TVW's yesterday. I am wanting to go out on the lake this weekend but am hesitant to do all this install work and them not work properly and ruin my lake day. Should I wait to install till this all gets figured out? I have an 07 sx230

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just received my TVW's yesterday. I am wanting to go out on the lake this weekend but am hesitant to do all this install work and them not work properly and ruin my lake day. Should I wait to install till this all gets figured out? I have an 07 sx230
Interested in your feedback. I have the same boat.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Even if they don't work 100% "properly" It won't ruin your weekend. Please put them on and report your findings, the more data points Will has the better he can address the issues. Just my $0.02

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Us business owners know...all guts and sweat..little glory...head down and back to drawing board equals results and a good reputation.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Xmas in June!! came home eary to install. Goal is to get it out Friday and saturday to test. And compare to my old vector xl's. Ill post my entire install with any pointers. 96181

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Milwmarc, I'm so excited for you. Last year I about lost it when I realized what the lateral thrusters can do. I've been finless for a couple weeks now, so I think I'm gonna be just as excited to get Thrust Vectors back on now too!!

I think a person really won't appreciate these things for steering when upgrading unless they are taken away from them for a while. We take control for granted.

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Install complete on my 2019 AR195. I ran into a couple of problems with the install. First was that the epoxy pack was busted open during shipping, so I had to use a different brand I had on hand. Second was the steering clevis bolt replacement wasn’t in my kit, so I ran and grabbed a replacement from the hardware store. It should be noted that Will did offer to ship replacements for both out for free. The last part was that I had to grind down the upstop to get the steering clevis bolt but to screw in. Beyond that it was a very easy installation. I plan on taking the boat out Sunday to see how it works in the water.

Attachments

jak_of_trades

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just finished my install tonight which went fairly well on my 2015 AR210. There wasn't quite enough epoxy probably because of my messiness but I picked up some Marine J-B Weld epoxy to finish the job and more Loctite which I had on hand. I recommend the same for others unless you're pinching pennies as the install is much more relaxing if you don't have to fuss over how much material you're using. Understandable that they only include "just enough" in the kit but slobs like me don't take our time and need the extra. :nailbiting:

Worxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I'm the one Will mailed the prototype to...should be here tomorrow and I will put it on and report back. I have a 2017 AR190 and had the stiff steering and some fitment issues.

1. First and foremost, Will's response at 9 pm the Friday night of Memorial Day weekend to help me speaks volumes about the service from JBP (I sent an email and got a call a few minutes later). Then the 76 emails, 32 texts, and 12 calls and 1 video chat later, we have a test piece on the way. I have built my business successfully on being responsive, whether it was my fault or the customer's...I answer the phone/emails everyday/all day...so I appreciate Will's effort.

2. As a small business owner and engineer that has created many things for the first time ever in the history of the world...I know it is never perfect the first, or, sometimes, the tenth time!

Again, thanks to Will for staying on top of this...hopefully tomorrow will yield some good news.

jak_of_trades

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--
I wonder if the issue with steering radius isn't the fact that the deflector acts as an extension to the pump nozzle in effect creating a longer nozzle (fins up) thus less of a steering angle because of the additional distance from the nozzle pivot to the end of the deflector along with more concentrated propulsion. I haven't taken my boat out with the TVW as I just installed tonight. Curious if I'll have the same experience with reduced radius.