• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Completed LectroTab Trim Tabs Group Buy 2020-Ends March 31 2020

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Find a circuit behind the helm that shuts down when you turn ignition off. It allows deployed tabs to retract when the key is turned off. I will look later today to determine which circuit I tapped into. I don't remember now.
Thanks. Yes, I know what it is supposed to do. Just don't know (off hand) the wiring of the switches to know which circuit to tap (and on what side of the switch). Not insurmountable, of course. So if you happen to know, that would be handy. Otherwise, I will figure out something--probably go to one pole of one of the starter switches and see if it works; if not to the other pole...

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. Yes, I know what it is supposed to do. Just don't know (off hand) the wiring of the switches to know which circuit to tap (and on what side of the switch). Not insurmountable, of course. So if you happen to know, that would be handy. Otherwise, I will figure out something--probably go to one pole of one of the starter switches and see if it works; if not to the other pole...
If you donā€™t mind waiting a day, maybe two Iā€™ll look for exactly which wire I used. It was one coming off the back of the starboard side ignition. They are all put together using butt connectors. I actually just pulled it apart put my wire in and pushed it back together.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. I think I found it in the service manual (but the diagram is reeeeeaallly small). Looks like the yellow stripe wire just next to the black one on the switch... If you happen to be near the boat before I am near mine and can look, much appreciated. But don't make a special trip or anything, please.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone that installed on a 230 have pics to share? I've heard a couple of times now, in posts, about having to mount the actuator at an angle. Would love to see pics to help get me there. I've been sitting on my delivery for over 2 weeks now simply due to a lack of confidence in how to proceed!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone that installed on a 230 have pics to share? I've heard a couple of times now, in posts, about having to mount the actuator at an angle. Would love to see pics to help get me there. I've been sitting on my delivery for over 2 weeks now simply due to a lack of confidence in how to proceed!
What size tab kit did you get? Does your 05 have the step in the hull like the 07-09 230's. I aimed my actuators at the backing plate for the stern tie-downs. It is a lot stronger/thicker there and the screws are barely visible sticking thru from the inside.

20170520_171217_001.jpg

20190131_183428.jpg

Last edited:

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scuba_ref I just started (weather cooperating) and attached is my progress Hope this gets you on a good start.

The short actuators required the mount to be moved aft the @Bruce mount and I decided to go with ā€œbent edgesā€ down.

The distance is 1ā€ from the edge to the hinge.

If you go ā€œbent edgesā€ up, you will need 3ā€ or more to have the actuator clear the hull.

I used a lot of Gorilla (emphasis on Gorilla) duct tape to help with holding things in place during drilling.

Let me know if you have questions
22E94CF2-1FEF-48B5-B2F7-567CD721F78C.jpeg7D36A8F7-BEAB-49E8-AEFA-67DF96F83DFC.jpeg2BE6FBC1-A5C0-4EB8-9FE2-7212C1EB7D8B.jpeg2BE6FBC1-A5C0-4EB8-9FE2-7212C1EB7D8B.jpeg7D36A8F7-BEAB-49E8-AEFA-67DF96F83DFC.jpegF1361A49-7CA0-4EC5-B837-EA160226E489.jpeg7D5C9B5C-5E56-457A-A4D9-1C970130A804.jpeg686EFD9E-69E8-4FCA-9410-EF3811184323.jpeg

Attachments

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What size tab kit did you get? Does your 05 have the step in the hull like the 07-09 230's. I aimed my actuators at the backing plate for the stern tie-downs. It is a lot stronger/thicker there and the screws are barely visible sticking thru from the inside.

View attachment 117206

View attachment 117207
@zipper I went with the @Bruce kit. Russ actually looked it up to make sure he got the same stuff!

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. I think I found it in the service manual (but the diagram is reeeeeaallly small). Looks like the yellow stripe wire just next to the black one on the switch... If you happen to be near the boat before I am near mine and can look, much appreciated. But don't make a special trip or anything, please.
yellow wire with a red stripe

577D4503-F1F9-4949-B49B-C4A16B2FD07B.jpeg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have an opinion on the deflection angle of the tabs.
I was not expecting 90 degrees but expecting more than 19-20 degrees.
Also expecting more throw in the actuators piston. About 2ā€ maybe

C0663C12-7A66-4D84-8A2C-F7F0B0AC1EAD.jpeg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

View attachment 117228
You will Never need to use them fully deployed. I never see more than 3 bars out of 5 lit up on my MLC. Most of the use is with only 2 bars lit.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scuba_ref I just started (weather cooperating) and attached is my progress Hope this gets you on a good start.

The short actuators required the mount to be moved aft the @Bruce mount and I decided to go with ā€œbent edgesā€ down.

The distance is 1ā€ from the edge to the hinge.

If you go ā€œbent edgesā€ up, you will need 3ā€ or more to have the actuator clear the hull.

I used a lot of Gorilla (emphasis on Gorilla) duct tape to help with holding things in place during drilling.

Let me know if you have questions
For the guys with the 07-09 hulls, step in the hull, I did need to redrill the mounting holes on the trim tab 1" to the aft so the bracket would miss the hull. https://jetboaters.net/threads/lectrotab-trim-tabs.71/page-4#post-235960

20170519_093934.jpg

Last edited:

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 117228
Two items of note that may be affecting your geometry:
1) your install doesnā€™t have the hinges ā€œfolder overā€ on the tab like most of the 07-09 boats seem to have. I suspect this would negligibly affect the deployment angle, but would affect tab and actuator placement. Folding over would place the tab and actuator more forward on the hull.
2) you didnā€™t install any kind of spacer between the hull and the hinge making the tab sit closer to the raised ledge than the main hull profile, this could affect your deployment geometry. But if anything, a ā€œflatterā€ triangle would accentuate the distance traveled by the tab than if it were on a spacer.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 117228
I'm certainly no expert (haven't installed my own yet) but I was looking at that during my mock-up test-fit. I suspect that 20 degrees is going to have a HUGE influence on the way the boat rides. consider the amount of water that's going to be deflected downward by that big plate.

Also remember, these don't need to move like the control surfaces on an aircraft: You need much less control surface movement in water than you do in air.

I could be all wet but I think she's gonna be skookum as frig.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @zipper. I guess I am at that second guessing stage of the build.

some things I learned
91% Isopropyl alcohol is 5200's Kryptonite. Cleanup was a easy. Make sure you have a roll of paper towels.image.jpeg

untangle /twist your wires before you run them-you don't want to try and pull a tangled mess like below through a run-I don't know the consequences of kinking the wires with the pressure equalizer tube but better safe than sorry.

Using the reverse drill direction to cut through the gelcoat then finish drilling the normal direction technique @Ronnie saves time and blue tape.

Perfection! Times 23!
EF75FA2D-4CD7-4743-9167-A1307261E8FE.jpegD047151E-0BE5-4BE5-940E-60520EED81A2.jpeg

An impact drill (18V or AC/Air) is a must with a #3 Phillips bit

Last edited:

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@biglar155, I think you are correct but I wonā€™t know until I get the boat in the water but a longer stroke on the actuators would have been nice.

@svana ā€˜s geometry regarding the spacer would give me the easiest solution if I need more.

You and @zipper are spot on about control surfaces, you donā€™t need much deflection at speed to make a difference.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yellow wire with a red stripe
Perfect! As expected. Thanks for that. And I see it also now back in @zipper 's old posts, too. If I had only looked...

Appreciate it, gents!

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SCIENCE!

Found a paper supporting our conclusion regarding our Fourm members observations.

It seems as speed increases the need for trim tab deflection decreases to maintain boat plane angle.

This explains everyoneā€™s experience regarding only using ā€œ3 barsā€ of deflection to correct boat plane angle to prevent ā€œporpoisingā€

20 degrees should be good, if the paper (science) is correct, I canā€™t wait to get on the water and find out.

But everyone learn from my mistakes!

If you want more angle of deflection ā€œflatten the triangle ā€œ @svana

Your piston throw is only about 2ā€ ugh.

Y1989B864-DDEC-4EB0-A231-F682567E7D4B.png
Below is the link. A lot of other interesting stuff on trim tabs.

Last edited:

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have tabs installed with a transducer, where did you place it? Currently have one where the tabs would go.
Aloha @Jon Burns what kind of transducer u got, I did my install of the trimtabs same time as my transducer. I mounted the transducer on the ride plate.