• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Live Well Aerator Suction Screen Clogging: Any better designs?

randocommando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
The livewell aerator screen in my 210 FSH is constructed of a fine mesh. It clogs with fish scales every time I use it. If I remove it, it just sucks a fish up in the pipe and blocks the suction. Was thinking of modifying by removing the screen device, and just installing a long PVC T-fitting with several holes drilled in it. Has anybody found a better way? Sometimes I just keep the "fill" pump on instead of the aerator. Have had a lot of bait die.

Stubok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The livewell aerator screen in my 210 FSH is constructed of a fine mesh. It clogs with fish scales every time I use it. If I remove it, it just sucks a fish up in the pipe and blocks the suction. Was thinking of modifying by removing the screen device, and just installing a long PVC T-fitting with several holes drilled in it. Has anybody found a better way? Sometimes I just keep the "fill" pump on instead of the aerator. Have had a lot of bait die.
What did you end up doing?
I don’t think my Live well aerator is working very well. My bait gets very lethargic after transferring from my bucket with travel aerator.

I fixed the little air tube to the aerator venturi fitting (it was stuck between two mating hull surfaces) and now I hear air being sucked in, but it looks as though that’s still not doing a good enough job.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m pretty sure the filter screens are available in different numbers of holes per square inch, aka levels of fineness.

@Stubok , your bait is still not very perky now that you fixed the MAX AIR tube? I’m assuming you cleaned the screen? How does it work if you remove the screen? There should be good flow coming out of it, if not maybe try back flushing with a hose ? There are two settings for the aerator, one is manual and the other is auto and the run and off times are configurable on the connext screen in case you didn’t know.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here’s one that is a lot courser mesh

ABE94E78-89BB-4C72-80B5-F32B0562329E.png

More here

McMaster Carr, choose what level of filtration you want.

8B5EFF97-92AD-4C20-8919-6D9AA46E6FE1.jpeg

Last edited:

Stubok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks! I’ll try the coarser mesh. I had the switch set to on 100%.

I was even debating an oxygenator.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought a replacement coarse intake filter. Bait fish are nasty little poopers and that fine mesh would clog so fast. I actually was out fishing one day and got sick of it and punched some holes in the screen with my knife. No problems now with the coarse mesh. also, your aerator will work way better without having that screen restricting the pumps intake.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So unless I’m mistaken Yamaha has addressed the issue of clogged aerators by doing away with the aerator. My livewell has only fill nozzle and drain standpipe. I don’t have “aerator “ rocker switch. Connext has the aerator cycle screen but it doesn’t do anything. I hoped it could be used to cycle the fill pump but no. I’m not at all enthusiastic about circulating 90 degree surface water as only option in the summer. I just used live bait for first time in this boat and realized all this
IMG_2125-1.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think the design on your boat is standard in a lot of boats. I’m going to venture a guess that the 90° surface water would be cooler than aerated water as the heat from the engine bay soaks into the live well as I have found on my 210 that tge aerated water will get to be warmer than the surface water.

It’s a drag that Yamaha did not set up the fill pump onto the design of the aerator pump wherein you had manual=on all the time, and auto=run time selectable. I have to wonder Since the screen is there on the connext if you couldn’t tap into that / those ports and utilize the selectable run time?

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I have noticed it gets warm in the livewell. That’s new problem to me since previous fishing boats have been outboards. On hot days I would actually fill with tap water and add dechlorinator and add ice during the days. I have a real bait tank that is freestanding and would use the same way. I haven’t positioned and wired it into my FSH yet.
it would seem like I should be able to use the Connext timer via my livewell switch just like it works on your aerator switch but that seems pretty ambitious for my knowledge at this point
Cheers