• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Low and Uneven RPM's (not spark plugs)

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got back from a trip, found my PORT engine topping out at 7000 RPM's and the Starboard 7500. Both ran great both fired right up both have had higher rpms last trip out (8000). YES I changed the plugs, I have owned the boat since new (2006) and I know that plugs are always the first step. This plug change did not help, I also checked the clean outs and viewed under the boat and no debris. Like I said I have owned the boat since new and have never had an RPM issue that wasn't fixed by the spark plugs. Curious if there is any other tricks of common issues. I also am not aware of any sort of impeller strike that would affect performance. I did not check air cleaners yet but every year find those to be spotless and never have been an issue over the past 18 years.

Thanks for the help.

Shane

Heat and Humidity would account for the decrease your seeing. What Altitude are you boating? Did you change lakes with a diffrent altitude? Impeller and wear ring damage would increase RPM's not decrease.

Both engines having an issue makes me think fuel

We’ve had members in the past have to do two plug changes even though they swear they were new and gapped correctly

I just got back from a trip, found my PORT engine topping out at 7000 RPM's and the Starboard 7500. Both ran great both fired right up both have had higher rpms last trip out (8000). YES I changed the plugs, I have owned the boat since new (2006) and I know that plugs are always the first step. This plug change did not help, I also checked the clean outs and viewed under the boat and no debris. Like I said I have owned the boat since new and have never had an RPM issue that wasn't fixed by the spark plugs. Curious if there is any other tricks of common issues. I also am not aware of any sort of impeller strike that would affect performance. I did not check air cleaners yet but every year find those to be spotless and never have been an issue over the past 18 years.

Thanks for the help.

Shane

I agree with @lazergeek and @Scottintexas

So you have the MR-1 engines in your boat correct? Aren’t those engines supposed to spin 10,000 rpm?

Your air filters are the original ones that came with the boat ? Next time out, pull the air filters and make sure there is no debris in and around the air box, leave them out and make a test run and see what the results are.

Also, where did you get the spark plugs? There are a lot of china made fake NGK plugs, you can go to NGKs website and there is a page that will show you how to identify fake NGK plugs. There was a thread on that here.

I believe his 2006 sx210 has the non-ho 110 hp engines that top out at 8k rpm

Heat and Humidity would account for the decrease your seeing. What Altitude are you boating? Did you change lakes with a diffrent altitude? Impeller and wear ring damage would increase RPM's not decrease.
Thank you and actually I did change lakes, I normally boat at or near sea level and this trip I was at 5000 feet. Would this elevation create this symptom? Thank you for the information.

all great information and thank you, I will start troubleshooting as soon as I can. I am almost positive my NGK's came from Amazon soooooooo there's that, again thank you all!

Thank you and actually I did change lakes, I normally boat at or near sea level and this trip I was at 5000 feet. Would this elevation create this symptom? Thank you for the information.

YES.

Depending on temp and humidity the density altitude could have been 6000-7000’ which will have a dramatic impact on power output and rpm’s, you could easily lose 1000 rpm’s or more.

What was the temperature when you were at 5000’?

Now that you are back home take your boat out and try it, I bet you will find everything is normal, no need to continue trouble shooting.

5000 feet elevation would 100% be your issue here. The only way to get all your RPM's back if your intending on staying at that elevation is to repitch your impellers for that altitude.

Interesting! It was mid 90's to upper 90's and I never even thought of the density altitude component. Thank you all, and I will hopefully get the boat out this weekend and confirm it. Again Thank you !

Back