• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Audi TDI won't start in the cold (like 0 degrees "American" cold)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hopefully this is just a one time issue with the extreme weather, my truck has a block heater for extremes.

2014 Audi Q5 TDI, 150k been running great,

-2 and now it won't start,
push the start button
glow plug light comes on a few seconds
engine cranked for 2 seconds it fired for 3 seconds then died
push the button again, engine cranks for 2 seconds but does not fire,
did this 5 more times and figured the battery was going out, it's a few years old, replaced it with a 850cca expensive battery,

it cranks for up to 10 seconds but never fires,
I put a hairdryer on top of the engine near what I believe is the "pre-filter", it's just after what appears to be the fuel line coming up from underneath on the front, driver's side of the engine, (I've changed the fuel filter underneath the car before)
after 30 minutes with a towel over it for insulation,
it cranks, fires and runs for 3 seconds (enough to say "oh! it's fixed" and then dies,
30 more minutes with hairdryer does the same thing, 5 times now over 2 days,

I feel like it's gelled fuel, is there a better or more places to put the hairdryer to thin it out ? I'm close enough to warmer weather I can just wait it out but just trying to get to know it a little better as I wasn't expecting this, in the future I'll run some additive when I know it's going below freezing,

@veedubtek

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Diesel fuel gels around 10 to 15F, so thats most likely the issue. Prolonged exposure to these temperatures (days at a time with no start) would cause an issue.

I have a 2015 VW Golf TDI. I drive it every day 120km round trip to work and i dont have an issue. We have the same temperature right now, 2°F and lower. However, my 2015 golf does have a small block heater? I use it when the temp drops below -5°F. I hook it up to a timer so it comes on 1 hour before i leave for work. Seems odd that your one year older Audi doesnt have one? are you certain?

Edited to mention last winter when i took a week vacation to go skiing and wasn't driving my car to work, after leaving it sit in the 0°F weather for 3 days, the diesel had gelled.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably not the motor but the fuel!
Light a small fire under it? :cool:

Or just drive one of @Betik's cars, he does not leave his house for another year, afraid of the virus.

-

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

The last time betik lent me his truck in the snow!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can you light the glow plug without cranking the engine? If you can, do it a half dozen times, before you start it. We do have the Winter mix here. I find that the off road diesel, kerosene does not gel and I run some of that mixed in when really cold, especially in the tractor. If the parrafin did solidify, put a heating pad around the filter. My truck starts at 3°F by leaving my glow plugs on for 10s or so before starting. Last time i knew I had 4 bad glow plugs and it still started this morning. My plug in heater only works below 0.

AT4TX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We do get winter mix, but it’s usually only found at truck stops and co-op/rural stations. Blending #2 and #1 at a 70/30 ratio works. Treating the tank with a CFI above 32F works too. I plugged my block heater in before the storm hit and so far so good.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Balmy 27 this afternoon, started right up!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don’t know what y’all are taking about trucks. My truck is sitting at 60 degrees garage next the boat. I have been driving the Prius these last couple of days. And needles to say I have been putting some Suburbans to shave.
Though here where I live the first year thing is to see people on Range Rovers with the airbags fully lifted and doing like 15 mph. It must have terrorizing to see a Prius zip by at 40 LOL

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You probably don’t have winter blend diesel there in TX... Diesel fuel can start to gel at 30* if the fuel quality is not that great. Even with winter blend diesel I still run Amsoil cold flow improver along with the Amsoil cetane booster and injector clean / lubricator. By adding the cold flow it reduces the gel point to -30*. If you have a water fuel separator you should be draining that regularly as well.

Glad it started it up for you today!

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scottintexas glad you’re up and running. My diesel fuel has been ok - good winter mix here in IL - but my def froze and the pump crapped out - so driving my wife’s Arcadia today.
I bought my Canyon in Austin Tx - drove to Illinois - and then the windshield fluid froze. Guessing in TX nobody really prepared for extreme cold the way people in colder climates do. Point being - even if you have a winter blend diesel in your area the mix is likely not intended for extreme cold, If it gets cold again you may need to blend some #1 diesel in your tank - more kerosene =lower gel temp but robs power so it’s a balancing act

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thank you for all the replies, at 24 F the car started this morning again without issue,

I'm sure it is a fuel/gel issue and if I expect to be in temps under 20F again I'll be adding some AMS cold flow to the tank before hand,

this caught me off guard as my IDI doesn't usually get used in extreme cold but I do expect the Audi to go on some ski trips and encounter 0F weather occasionally, I guess at least Audi has the DEF heater figured out as a quick internet search doesn't bring many hits on that issue

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You probably would not have had any issue if there had been winter blend in your tank from the filling station...the Amsoil cold flow is cheap insurance. Most all modern diesels do not have trouble with the DEF system, as they have electric heaters in the tank, I’m pretty sure that DEF’s freezing point is 12*F.

Again, glad your Audi is up and running!!!