• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New to me 2023 AR220 - transferring warranty - worth the expense?

krypto69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi

Just purchased a used 2023 AR220. Taking it to a Yamaha dealer to have the warranty transferred into my name on Monday.

Dealer said they need to do a compression test and full inspection that will cost me $350 to transfer the warranty. Then (boat has 40 hours) they suggested that I do the '50' hours required service which I guess they change the oil, lube some cables and a few other items - cost $800. Does this price makes sense? Seems crazy high.

Do I need to do the 50 hour service to retain the Yamaha warranty?
It looks like the warranty is only one year? Is this actually less then a year?

Should I pay the inspection fee only?
Should I pay for the 50 hour service? I can change the oil/filter, lube the cables...
Will they not cover something later if I don't pay them to do the 50 hour service. Is it worth it?

With the warranty being so short and so any items excluded- a part of me feels like its a pretty new boat - should I roll the dice and put the money in the bank and fix anything that breaks myself.

Thoughts? Lessons learned?

Last edited:
So a few things to unpack here.

1. What warranty are they trying to transfer? the 1 yr. MFG warranty or an extended warranty YES Warranty? If so how many years?
    1. If it is the Yamaha MFG warranty, then it starts the day the original owner purchased the boat. so you would only get what is left on it.
  2. To transfer warranties, they do charge, it is not uncommon.
  3. The $800 do the 50 hr service is ridiculous.
    1. Do it yourself for about $150 bucks or so. You need to learn how to do it anyhow. Easy to do and we have a full forum here of members to get you through it.
  4. They cannot force you to have dealers do the Service on your boat for the warranty.
    1. When you do your own, take pictures and save all receipts. Keep a log every time you do service and keep those receipts.
  5. If you are interest in an extended Warranty, which is their YES warranty you could get that. I did the 5 yr extended. Connext Screen, Steering Cables, Engines, Gelcoat and any fuel tank issues are why I Purchased the warranty. Haven't had to use it yet, but did replace my own steering cables, but that is a longer story.
    1. Some buy some don't.

I looked it up and the boat was originally purchased in March of 23. So worth the $350 to transfer it to me IHO.

Great tip on documenting the oil change. I have done it on jet skis - similar motor so I'm familiar with the pumping process. Not a real fun thing to do but not to that bad. You just saved me $800.

I'll do some searching on here to see how much I can expect to pay for the YES warranty - does it cover more or does it have all the same exclusions? One of the reasons I went Yamaha was the engines are supposed to be pretty durable - is that true? It seems like pretty much all of the wear items aren't covered.

Anyway - really great advice! Much appreciated.

its worth to pay for the inspection and transfer it yes, for the maintenance? no, unless you dont trust your oil changing skills.. yamalube oil changing kits comes with a date/hour changed llabel fill it up and stick to your owners manual for documentation, at the end cycle of your 12month warranty go to the yamaha website and you can choose to extend it if you want.

I called to setup an appointment to get my '21 warranty transferred a few years back. My local dealer said I can do it now and spend "x" dollars or wait til I schedule an appointment for service or wait til there is an issue requiring warranty work. He said they have done it in the past (transferred warranty while in for warranty work). I thought that was incredibly honest of them and totally changed my views on this dealer

I can handle the oil change. Not a huge fan of the process but I can handle it. So sounds like I should pay the $350 to have it transferred - which I will do thanks guys! And I'll change the oil soon - and document it.

Will I get any kind of documentation from the dealer? Something that shows in writing that the warranty has been transferred to me?

I called to setup an appointment to get my '21 warranty transferred a few years back. My local dealer said I can do it now and spend "x" dollars or wait til I schedule an appointment for service or wait til there is an issue requiring warranty work. He said they have done it in the past (transferred warranty while in for warranty work). I thought that was incredibly honest of them and totally changed my views on this dealer

Wow, that's nice of them. You must live somewhere outside of S Florida..lol..None of the stealerships down here are gonna help me. I called them all, in fact one of them said "Yeah you can bring it in, but you gotta pick it up the same day - I don't have the space and I'm not a storage place"

I can handle the oil change. Not a huge fan of the process but I can handle it. So sounds like I should pay the $350 to have it transferred - which I will do thanks guys! And I'll change the oil soon - and document it.

Will I get any kind of documentation from the dealer? Something that shows in writing that the warranty has been transferred to me?

You will get a receipt for the inspection work and it should be delineated on your receipt this was done for warranty transfer.

You will get a receipt for the inspection work and it should be delineated on your receipt this was done for warranty transfer.

Great thanks.

I did this on my 2021 AR250. Totally worth it imo. After the inspection I called Yamaha to confirm everything was moved to my name (dealer handled that) and then I bought more of the YES warranty. I’ve had them fix a few “fit and finish” type requests since then with no problem. I really like the peace of mind too.
Do the oil change yourself. Not worth the 800 bucks. Plus it’s a good opportunity to learn about your boat.

I did this on my 2021 AR250. Totally worth it imo. After the inspection I called Yamaha to confirm everything was moved to my name (dealer handled that) and then I bought more of the YES warranty. I’ve had them fix a few “fit and finish” type requests since then with no problem. I really like the peace of mind too.
Do the oil change yourself. Not worth the 800 bucks. Plus it’s a good opportunity to learn about your boat.

Will follow your advice. Thanks man!

Back