• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil filter change

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So how does everyone go about changing the oil filter without making a mess? Why in the world they have to mount it horizontal is beyond me.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So how does everyone go about changing the oil filter without making a mess? Why in the world they have to mount it horizontal is beyond me.
Absorbent pads are your friend here. And maybe a small storage container for a drip pan.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pig Pad or others mention diapers. Not all are horizontally mounted, the TR-1 motors in my boat have the oil filter vertically mounted. I don't know how well the diapers work, as I have access to the Pig Pads from work, but @WiskyDan can show you how well they work to clean out any oil that makes it into your bilge. They really only soak up oil, so throw 2-3 of those under the filter, and wrap one of them around the filter while you're removing.

After seeing and dealing with one of those horizontal filters with Dan, perhaps a Form-A-Funnel underneath directing anything into a container would help. It doesn't seem like there's any 100% foolproof way to avoid it, so plan on something to absorb any spillage ahead of time.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know what you mean, mine are inverted. I punch two or three holes in the top of the filter to let it drain while I’m removing the old oil. I still pile a bunch of paper towels around the filter base.

I’ve seen other posts here about using dog pee pads laid out under the work area to catch any oil that drips That get past the paper towels.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pig Pad or others mention diapers. Not all are horizontally mounted, the TR-1 motors in my boat have the oil filter vertically mounted. I don't know how well the diapers work, as I have access to the Pig Pads from work, but @WiskyDan can show you how well they work to clean out any oil that makes it into your bilge. They really only soak up oil, so throw 2-3 of those under the filter, and wrap one of them around the filter while you're removing.

After seeing and dealing with one of those horizontal filters with Dan, perhaps a Form-A-Funnel underneath directing anything into a container would help. It doesn't seem like there's any 100% foolproof way to avoid it, so plan on something to absorb any spillage ahead of time.
The PigPads worked great, especially with the filter position on the 1.8’s. I would slide a couple of the PigPads under the engine just behind the front engine mount which is just below the filter.

Some have poked a hole in the filter with a nail before removal which should allow some of the oil to drain out of the filter and make things a little cleaner.

It seemed that I had a little more spillage on the starboard engine (the one that @drewkaree did was dry as a bone) and it sloshed around a bit on my way back to the dock which made it look like I had a leaky filter but it ended up being fine.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just use a few grocery bags and hold them under the filter as I unscrew it

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you drain the oil like a car from below of does it have to be sucked out through the dipstick tube?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the extra large incontinent pads from CVS or the like. A pack will last a decade

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I use a small disposable aluminum cookie pan and bend it to fit under the filter next to the engine. If somebody can invent an oil filter relocation piece, instant millionaire! 😉

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you drain the oil like a car from below of does it have to be sucked out through the dipstick tube?
It's likely that if you DO have a lower drain fitting, it won't be easier to access than coming from the top.

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any tips for cleaning oil off the floor of the engine compartment that wasn’t caught during change? I just did mine and it leaked more than I remembered.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
An easy way to clean your engine bay floor and the whole bilge is to install the drain plug, get a five gallon bucket and fill it with hot water and a strong dose of Dawn dishwashing soap. You probably need a few five gallon bucket fulls of this solution to get the hot soapy water level to cover the floor of the engine bay. Once you’ve got enough soapy water, let it sit for a spell, then using a soft brush and, while doing extreme boat Yoga, reach down and brush the bottom of the engine bay and anything else you want to clean. Drain this solution and rinse preferably with hot / warm water.

Then put in another 10 gallons or so of hot soapy water and go tow your boat around for 20-30 minutes, drain and flush and refill with another 10 gallons of hot water with no soap and go drive around for a few, drain and flush, repeat if there is still a lot of sudsy water.

Prop the bow up as high as possible, and leave the engine bay and all compartments open to air dry.

This will leave your bilge oil free and will take away most if not all of any funky smells.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To make it a bit easier before the Dawn treatment, get some Pig pads. They ONLY soak up oil, water seems to run right off of them.

Lay down as many as you need to cover the area where you made a mess. Yes, I know they're expensive, but you won't forget it, and it'll have you working hard the next time not to repeat the issue as best as you can.

Press them down to the floor wherever possible. Use something solid that can be rolled around on top. Unless it's REALLY bad, it's not gonna squirt through the pad.

Let the pads sit for half an hour. This is why you cover the area.

While removing the pads, use them like a rag or sponge to wipe away the excess. Repeat if you feel it's necessary.

Follow @FSH 210 Sport's Dawn process. You'll need to work less to remove it, and if you didn't have much, you may even be able to stop at that point.

Next time, put down Pig pads or something before you start.

Diapers don't work as well as the Pig pads for this cleaning, but will help to limit/stop this at the beginning of the oil change

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fun fact, the oil booms that are used on water or for other spills are full of chicken feathers.. chicken feathers will soak up oil but will not soak up water, especially salt water very well, and they float.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Any tips for cleaning oil off the floor of the engine compartment that wasn’t caught during change? I just did mine and it leaked more than I remembered.
Why not put a bunch of pig blankets down on the floor?

IvanS

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I've used an old towel below the filter and it had worked flawles for me. 11 years and I have a super clean engine compartment.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just cut the bottom off a plastic gallon bottle and put that under the filter.