• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pinopolis lock and Cooper River Charleston SC May 7th

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Well its getting to be that time of year again everyone is starting to get ready for boating season. Every May one of my first adventures of the year is I do a run up the Cooper River to Lake Marion and Moultrie through the Pinopolis Lock its about 70 miles each way. This year we plan to Start up Lake Marion come down through Lake Moultrie the Pinopolis Lock and Cooper River and ending in Charleston by starting on the lake we give everyone easier access to arrive on I-95. We plan to spend Saturday night in Charleston and return back to Lake Marion on Sunday. @andy07sx230ho and I will be doing this trip on May 7th returning May 8th. Anyone who would like to join is more then welcome to its a great cruise through the South Carolina Low country. Tentative details are below as well as a video (locks are at the 3 minute mark) from our trip last year. We Plan to stay at City Marina and our hotel is still to be decided but we will likely leave that up to each individual but if you stay downtown the Marina has a shuttle that will take you to your hotel. I'm going to tag a few who showed interest last year and that are in the area.

@tim h @veedubtek @DieselCamel @andy07sx230ho @Julian @ACrews @waterboy @justason @JROD @Ramblin Wreck @1948Isaac @njmr2fan @rkluck @javi @jlcj7 @cozilla @Mauimike @bronze_10

- leave on Saturday, May 7th at about 11 AM or so from Rock Pond Campground on Lake Marion. Taking an easy pace, with lunch somewhere a restaurant or a tie up cook out, to arrive Charleston late afternoon.
- Hotel - Choose your own or we can try and group together
- Marina - City Marina
- Dining and drinks in the wonderful city of Charleston - TBD
- Return the next day to get back at a decent hour for everyone's drive home likely try to be back at the lake before noon.

I am in like Flint! ;-)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tim h I know this is a long tow for you for a short weekend if you and your family wanted to come you guys are more them welcome on our boat.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for not responding earlier. I have been travelling like an idiot and just got back from a vacation. I would love to do this but need to look at the dates closer. On the surface, I have a conflict and can;t make. Looking deeper, who knows. Let me work on this. I may go ahead and book a hotel room anyway as I can always cancel.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tim h that is awesome we look forward to it!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho which Holiday Inn are you looking at? I may do as @waterboy said and go ahead and book a room and change it later if needed.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did the same as @waterboy if I find something better I will change it but at least I have a room booked for now.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cool... Ok so I may be over analyzing everything but I am still trying to sell it to the wife..... If we leave on Saturday at 11 ish how long is the ride to Charleston. Will there be time to go to patriots point or the aquirium. I know the most fun is the ride up but its a nicer selling point to say we also will do x when we get to Charleston.... Since it is mothers day weekend!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ran into the same situation with my wife. She wants to stay and play all day. I can imagine getting there late afternoon, getting to the hotel and cleaned up. Probably head to main touristy area to walk around and have a few cocktails, dinner and more drinks on Saturday night. Sunday AM will likely be out the door and back to the boat ramp by noonish so we can all get the drive done by a a reasonable hour on Sunday.

Promise her a return trip!!!

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Booked a room also...
Wow must be a pretty nice place, $306 total ?
Did anyone find a better rate ?

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Robert and Andy probably know the area much better, but if your willing to take a short 4 or 5 mile commute (Uber) you could stay in Mt. Pleasant area for $100 or so cheaper.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Booked a room also...
Wow must be a pretty nice place, $306 total ?
Did anyone find a better rate ?
Anything in downtown Charleston is expensive on the weekend, during the week the Holiday Inn Express is about $118 per night. Like @Ramblin Wreck mentioned, Mount Pleasant is cheaper so is out by the airport or West of the Ashley but you will have to find transportation which could eat up all the money you saved on the room.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder why it charged TIM h 309
Because he and all of us are booking for a Saturday night stay not a Thursday night, weekday rates are a lot cheaper than weekend rates.