• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pinopolis lock and Cooper River Charleston SC May 7th

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A little FYI on the active Naval base that @robert843 mentioned above and is located in the town of Goose Creek, this is different that the bigger old Naval Base on the edge of Charleston.

First and very import, DO NOT get close to the shoreline of the facility, hangout around the facility, or take pictures of the facility, if you do there is a strong possibility that you will be stopped by the marine patrol and have your camera confiscated. While passing you can look all you want as long as you keep your distance from the facility and your speed up.

Right now the facility is used for the Naval Nuclear Power school. The submarines you will see tied to the dock are no longer sea worth, the only thing functional on them is the nuclear power plant which is used for training.

Prior to the Goose Creek Naval facility becoming the Naval Nuclear Power School it was the Weapons Station. From the early 1960's until 1995, about a dozen 1960 vintage ballistic missile submarines were stationed at the Weapons Station. The purpose of the facility was for ballistic missile subs to perform ~35 days of predeployment maintenance, stocking of perishable goods, and loading ballistic missiles before going out on a ~75 day deployment. After returning to the Weapons Station the other crew would take over and repeat the 110 day process. Ballistic missile subs have two crews to maximize the amount of time they are underway protecting our country. Now with the closing of the Charleston Naval base and the conversion of the Weapons Station, the new generation (1980's vintage Ohio class) submarines are station out of Kings Bay, Georgia.

The reason I know a good bit about the facility and ballistic missile subs is that from 1985 to 1989 I was an Electronic Technician/Reactor Operator stationed on the USS Lewis & Clark SSBN 644 which was home ported out of the Weapons Station. I also have some friends that stayed in the Navy and ended up becoming instructors at the Weapon Stations Nuclear Power School.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A little FYI on the active Naval base that @robert843 mentioned above and is located in the town of Goose Creek, this is different that the bigger old Naval Base on the edge of Charleston.

First and very import, DO NOT get close to the shoreline of the facility, hangout around the facility, or take pictures of the facility, if you do there is a strong possibility that you will be stopped by the marine patrol and have your camera confiscated. While passing you can look all you want as long as you keep your distance from the facility and your speed up.

Right now the facility is used for the Naval Nuclear Power school. The submarines you will see tied to the dock are no longer sea worth, the only thing functional on them is the nuclear power plant which is used for training.

Prior to the Goose Creek Naval facility becoming the Naval Nuclear Power School it was the Weapons Station. From the early 1960's until 1995, about a dozen 1960 vintage ballistic missile submarines were stationed at the Weapons Station. The purpose of the facility was for ballistic missile subs to perform ~35 days of predeployment maintenance, stocking of perishable goods, and loading ballistic missiles before going out on a ~75 day deployment. After returning to the Weapons Station the other crew would take over and repeat the 110 day process. Ballistic missile subs have two crews to maximize the amount of time they are underway protecting our country. Now with the closing of the Charleston Naval base and the conversion of the Weapons Station, the new generation (1980's vintage Ohio class) submarines are station out of Kings Bay, Georgia.

The reason I know a good bit about the facility and ballistic missile subs is that from 1985 to 1989 I was an Electronic Technician/Reactor Operator stationed on the USS Lewis & Clark SSBN 644 which was home ported out of the Weapons Station. I also have some friends that stayed in the Navy and ended up becoming instructors at the Weapon Stations Nuclear Power School.
That's very cool.... Me and my boy will be eyeballing the sub's as we pass...... At normal speed of course. Also, thank you for your service @robert843 !!!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho great info on the base I had no clue what it was used for just knew if you looked it up on google earth it's blacked out and they kept security pretty tight. First year I did this trip I was well ahead of others in my group and I stopped near it to wait and a boat with a 40 cal machine gun came flying at me WOT and as politely as a boat with a 40 cal machine gun on it could told me to keep moving lol.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many boats we up to now?
I just added to the first post who has said they are in and who has said they may be interested.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 After finally giving in & asking Mom & Dad if they'd be interested in going, I'm gonna have to take them now or I'm afraid they'll cut me out of my inheritance. Haha. They lit up like smalls kids. I've looked for hotel info but could someone please specify which one so I can make sure I call the right one. I'll reply to thread once I get my reservations confirmed.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@ACrews below is the link. Spend the extra money for a reservation you can cancel if needed as you already know from when we tried this trip in the fall anything can happen damn Hurricane Joaquin.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/charleston/chsld/hoteldetail
Thank you sir! I am booked! Good choice on marina since if you have BoatUS membership, they offer .10 a gallon discount on fuel. Hotel room booked & will call City Marina during business hours.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@waterboy that is our normal hold up to... We have a 9 month old puppy... A 12 year old 100 pound old fart and a 4 year old 150 great dane..... But we just got it all sorted soooo we are good to go..

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Andy! I just booked there as well, got great rate thru IHG Rewards Club $159 total at Hiexpress.com
Wow how did you get that rate I'm a IHG member as I have to use them for work and they didn't offer me that kind of rate :(

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
probably points buy down?
Could be the only points buy down it offered me was 25,000 points for $70 per night but didn't have 25,000 points at this time. I know its mothers day weekend but we must be missing something else going on that weekend because hotels are booking up I keep checking to see if there is a better rate downtown and its getting worse not better.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JROD Checks the dates you booked to make sure you have Saturday night. Just saying man!!! Every rate I see has that high price except weeknights and Sunday night.