• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pinopolis lock and Cooper River Charleston SC May 7th

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well its getting to be that time of year again everyone is starting to get ready for boating season. Every May one of my first adventures of the year is I do a run up the Cooper River to Lake Marion and Moultrie through the Pinopolis Lock its about 70 miles each way. This year we plan to Start up Lake Marion come down through Lake Moultrie the Pinopolis Lock and Cooper River and ending in Charleston by starting on the lake we give everyone easier access to arrive on I-95. We plan to spend Saturday night in Charleston and return back to Lake Marion on Sunday. @andy07sx230ho and I will be doing this trip on May 7th returning May 8th. Anyone who would like to join is more then welcome to its a great cruise through the South Carolina Low country. Tentative details are below as well as a video (locks are at the 3 minute mark) from our trip last year. We Plan to stay at City Marina and our hotel is still to be decided but we will likely leave that up to each individual but if you stay downtown the Marina has a shuttle that will take you to your hotel. I'm going to tag a few who showed interest last year and that are in the area.

@tim h @veedubtek @DieselCamel @andy07sx230ho @Julian @ACrews @waterboy @justason @JROD @Ramblin Wreck @1948Isaac @njmr2fan @rkluck @javi @jlcj7 @cozilla @Mauimike @bronze_10

- leave on Saturday, May 7th at about 11 AM or so from Rock Pond Campground on Lake Marion. Taking an easy pace, with a self packed lunch stop location TBD , to arrive Charleston late afternoon.
- Hotel - Marriott lockwood dr/ Holiday Inn Express River Side Downtown
- Marina - City Marina
- Dining and drinks in the wonderful city of Charleston - TBD
- Return the next day to get back at a decent hour for everyone's drive home likely try to be back at the lake before noon.

People booked
@andy07sx230ho
@robert843
@DieselCamel
@veedubtek
@bronze_10
@tim h
@JROD
@ACrews
@waterboy
@spaz1868
@Seadeals + friend with Sea Ray
@Ramblin Wreck + friend with another Sea Ray lol

Interested and may join
@njmr2fan
@rkluck

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would love this... not sure if n I can make it happen.... I have disney in two weeks... then a Washington DC trip with my son in april... not sure if my bank account can recover in time... we shall see.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am working on the wife on this..... will my sx 230 make the one way trip on a single 50 gallon tank of fuel? I'm pretty sure it will bur wanted to check. I know we will have to refuel in charlston... also how much is it to dock the boat over night? Trying to get an overall picture on the money for the two days.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I do a 68 mile trip every fall and burn 45 gallons at cruise. We have the same engines.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am working on the wife on this..... will my sx 230 make the one way trip on a single 50 gallon tank of fuel? I'm pretty sure it will bur wanted to check. I know we will have to refuel in charlston... also how much is it to dock the boat over night? Trying to get an overall picture on the money for the two days.
Yes you can make it on one tank of fuel. Last year I believe @andy07sx230ho told me when we filled up in diversion canal that he used around 23-27 gallons in his 2007 SX230 one way but hopefully he will chime in and give you a better answer. Dockage is $2.15 per foot at City Marina. Most expensive part will likely be your hotel in Charleston for one night. If you stay downtown its around $200+ for the night if you go to Mt Pleasant or North Charleston you can be under that but will likely require a cab ride to get there. I may speak to the Marina and see if their shuttle will run us to either of those locations.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@buckbuck thats 68 one way right? So that 45 gallons gets you about 150 miles I think. Round trip in my gas guzzler was 48 gallons on the same trip.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do a 68 mile trip every fall and burn 45 gallons at cruise. We have the same engines.
I'm assuming 45 gallons is both ways?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@RiverRat. That was round trip for the Starved Rock lunch. I know I always burn just under a tank of gas but now I am not certain about the mileage. My records show it is a 68 mile round trip. Do you have better info?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the add on this. Its close to the end of the school year for the kids with lots going on, but if I could getaway it sounds like fun! Have some friends in Charleston it would be fun to meet up with as well!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like fun. I need to find out what is going on in our schedules.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hmm, I just realized Mother's Day is on the 8th, so I'll have to see if she'll give me a pardon this yr. All else fails, I may jus load her & dad up and bring them with me.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm, I just realized Mother's Day is on the 8th, so I'll have to see if she'll give me a pardon this yr. All else fails, I may jus load her & dad up and bring them with me.
What better treat for a mom then to be in Charleston on Mothers Day!