• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replaced my anchor locker drain fitting due to leaks

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
My thru fitting doesn't look as bad as many of yours but when sitting at anchor and people in the bow, the fitting goes under water constantly and I’m getting a little water in the ski locker in addition to a long drain from the bilge each time we go out (rear access hatch is already sealed w silicon). Wondering why this can’t be fixed with just silicon caulk around the interior and exterior edges of the thru fitting, assuming the fitting is already long enough?
It's just my opinion, but the time you spend caulking is about the same amount of time it takes to install the SS fitting. And it looks good!

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point that it wouldn’t be a high quality/forever fix. Similar to the cork, caulking it would at least determine if this is the source of the water intrusion and if so, easily resolve it for the season

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The SS Locker drain was the easiest mod I have done. No reason not to order one and just do it.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point that it wouldn’t be a high quality/forever fix. Similar to the cork, caulking it would at least determine if this is the source of the water intrusion and if so, easily resolve it for the season
I'll point this out as well, since the silicone would just be sealing around the edges - the fitting itself SHOULD stay in there, but the silicone is just a water seal at that point, similar to caulking the seams of your shower or similar. You're better off pulling that fitting to seal it in place, and once you have that fitting out, well...that stainless fitting looks far more OEM than the actual OEM fitting. Even if you went with a plastic fitting, it would still look nicer than what Yamaha used.

My guess is that your large amount of water is at least somewhat related to your anchor locker drain, but you may still have other issues, such as poor or non-existent sealing under the rub rail with all the screw holes, or other things. Sealing it up will show you if it lessens to an acceptable level for you. If you seal it, you'll still get water in the anchor locker with any rain, so that's something to keep in mind.

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
So I finally got around to testing out the water intrution. Before I get to that, I want to clarify that I was not getting enough water in the anchor locker to the point of it flooding out. 4-5 inches is rough estimate of the water level when people were sitting in the bow.

Now back to my results. I ended up putting in a cork through the outside hull and filled the anchor locker up with roughly 6 inches of water. Every 5 minutes I would check the ski locker and carpeted area under the bow seats. After 15 minutes, still no intrusion. However, when I checked at 25 minutes, the carpet was damp but ski locker still dry. After 30 minutes, the carpet was soaked and still no water in the ski locker. After 45 minutes, the carpet towards the storage lockers was now soaked.

So at least in my situation, I can determine that if the boat is low enough where the water line is covering the drain, the water will find away out and it takes a while for the water to make it to the carpeted area. Since that is the only area that got wet, I think it's safe to say that is the path of least resistance.

Now that I have confirmation of the source of the water, I can no order and install the new drain.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is getting through the part of the hole between the layers. Members have verified this multiple times. It is a known flaw in the design.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So I finally got around to testing out the water intrution. Before I get to that, I want to clarify that I was not getting enough water in the anchor locker to the point of it flooding out. 4-5 inches is rough estimate of the water level when people were sitting in the bow.

Now back to my results. I ended up putting in a cork through the outside hull and filled the anchor locker up with roughly 6 inches of water. Every 5 minutes I would check the ski locker and carpeted area under the bow seats. After 15 minutes, still no intrusion. However, when I checked at 25 minutes, the carpet was damp but ski locker still dry. After 30 minutes, the carpet was soaked and still no water in the ski locker. After 45 minutes, the carpet towards the storage lockers was now soaked.

So at least in my situation, I can determine that if the boat is low enough where the water line is covering the drain, the water will find away out and it takes a while for the water to make it to the carpeted area. Since that is the only area that got wet, I think it's safe to say that is the path of least resistance.

Now that I have confirmation of the source of the water, I can no order and install the new drain.
THE FORUM IS THE GOSPEL.

Klover

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Can anyone with a 255XD confirm what size of stainless steel thru hull fitting to get to replace the cheap plastic anchor locker drain? The little plastic one that comes on the boat is sticking out a bit and want to replace it to see if it reduces water coming out of the drain plug when I take boat out of water.
Also, my wife noticed on the weekend after boating for a bit the towels and stuff on the floor of the port side head storage unit were wet -- not sure how/where the water would be coming in there? And we didn't have any wet life jackets hanging in there either. I haven't looked yet to see where the water could be coming in -- anyone else have this issue with a wet floor in that head compartment?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The yamaha anchor locker drain fittings are all the same size across the models. You will need a 3/8 stainless thru-hull fitting. You can pick them up right on amazon

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anyone with a 255XD confirm what size of stainless steel thru hull fitting to get to replace the cheap plastic anchor locker drain? The little plastic one that comes on the boat is sticking out a bit and want to replace it to see if it reduces water coming out of the drain plug when I take boat out of water.
Also, my wife noticed on the weekend after boating for a bit the towels and stuff on the floor of the port side head storage unit were wet -- not sure how/where the water would be coming in there? And we didn't have any wet life jackets hanging in there either. I haven't looked yet to see where the water could be coming in -- anyone else have this issue with a wet floor in that head compartment?
Can you show us a pic of your fitting? My guess is that they're still using the same one, and if so, still not using sealant and just pressing them into place. If all of this is the case, do what I did, poke a stick in there to get the length needed, then carefully pull out the OEM fitting and take some measurements. It's not EASY to get it back in, but you can do just what the Yamaha assemblers did and shove it back in there until the new one arrives.

I pulled mine prior to ordering mine to verify measurements, and I wasn't going to be using my boat for a week+, but just in case, I did just this in case there was some hangup with the new fitting getting to me in time. After I was done putting it back in, I felt like I could work on the Yamaha assembly line putting these things in, although at the time, I only had a 9mm to "drill" the hole for the anchor locker drain fitting. I too, felt zero need to caulk the fitting prior to putting it in, and I may have even muttered under my breath "let that jackass buyer fix this shit, I'm not getting paid enough to keep ALL the water out of where it shouldn't be going". Then I took a lunch break, reloaded my 9mm "drill", and polished my as-yet-unused sealant applicator, and put it back in my toolbox, never to be used on MY assembly line position ever again.

Maybe that last part just happened in my mind after a few beers working on stuff that needed to be addressed on the boat. It sure felt like I was somewhere in Vonore, TN

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Has any one tried to use a scupper valve for the anchor locker drain? @drewkaree

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has any one tried to use a scupper valve for the anchor locker drain? @drewkaree
I think @mrcleanr6 has the correct answer. When I was looking to replace mine, I had the same idea as you, and I simply could not find a scupper that small. I don't recall the smallest scupper size I ran across, but it was definitely a fair bit larger than the existing hole for the drain fitting, and I didn't want to increase the amount of water that could potentially be taken on.

Adding a rubber cork/plug works quite well with the new fitting. The fitting now reaches inside the anchor locker, and it's a finished item, rather than the hack job many people get with their boats. The only reason my anchor locker gets any water in it anymore is when I'm putting wet lines in there, or if my boat isn't covered and it rains. It's just a simple sponging to remove. VERY happy I replaced it, and I'm also glad I didn't go with the clamshell cover over the drain fitting on the outside of the boat. The rubber cork is out of view, and stops water intrusion far better and more thoroughly than the clamshell.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I think @mrcleanr6 has the correct answer. When I was looking to replace mine, I had the same idea as you, and I simply could not find a scupper that small. I don't recall the smallest scupper size I ran across, but it was definitely a fair bit larger than the existing hole for the drain fitting, and I didn't want to increase the amount of water that could potentially be taken on.

Adding a rubber cork/plug works quite well with the new fitting. The fitting now reaches inside the anchor locker, and it's a finished item, rather than the hack job many people get with their boats. The only reason my anchor locker gets any water in it anymore is when I'm putting wet lines in there, or if my boat isn't covered and it rains. It's just a simple sponging to remove. VERY happy I replaced it, and I'm also glad I didn't go with the clamshell cover over the drain fitting on the outside of the boat. The rubber cork is out of view, and stops water intrusion far better and more thoroughly than the clamshell.
I just ordered the thru hull for the anchor locker and the scupper valve replacement. Thanks you for the feedback

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered the thru hull for the anchor locker and the scupper valve replacement. Thanks you for the feedback
Your local hardware store likely has a rubber cork to jam in there. I used to use one of these, but it was a PITA to keep unscrewing - a snap plug in the proper size is quick and easy as well, but I found it getting snagged on lines, so I ditched that idea as well, and just went back to the basics

IMG_20200809_161630867.jpg

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Your local hardware store likely has a rubber cork to jam in there. I used to use one of these, but it was a PITA to keep unscrewing - a snap plug in the proper size is quick and easy as well, but I found it getting snagged on lines, so I ditched that idea as well, and just went back to the basics
You know I was thinking of just a threaded cap that matches to thread on there.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know I was thinking of just a threaded cap that matches to thread on there.
tenor.gif

OMG that's brilliant! Now you've got me upset at myself that I cut my fitting flush, and would have to replace the fitting to do that!

That's a seriously great idea, nice thinking!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

And most importantly, IT LOOKS GOOD!

TX_Mercenary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
you got a link for your scupper valve replacement?