• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Request for the guys towing with '14+ Durango's

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been keeping my eyes out for a 2014 or newer just for the 8spd. I'm not 100% certain my research is correct....however...I think the 6spd is a mopar transmission, and the 8spd is a ZF sourced unit. I've had many ZF transmissions with excellent performance and reliability. The Mopar transmissions, not so much. The ZF8HP in the 2014 and newer Durango's is a proven performer with excellent reliability.

I have no idea what transmission is in the V6 models.
Our V6 model has the ZF 8 speed, and it performs flawlessly.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Previous 5.7l citadel had the 6spd. Current R/T has the 8spd. I prefer the 8spd for daily driving. The 8 spd will shift a lot when towing a heavy load at 70+ mph. Not that it is bad just noticeable. I might be wearing my wife down into keeping the R/T. As much as she wants something different similar to how she likes to redecorate or change hair styles after test driving other vehicles she is seeing how much she likes what she has.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Previous 5.7l citadel had the 6spd. Current R/T has the 8spd. I prefer the 8spd for daily driving. The 8 spd will shift a lot when towing a heavy load at 70+ mph. Not that it is bad just noticeable. I might be wearing my wife down into keeping the R/T. As much as she wants something different similar to how she likes to redecorate or change hair styles after test driving other vehicles she is seeing how much she likes what she has.
Groom what little I have found there isn't much advantage of the 8sd over the 6, and finding a reasonable prices RT is few and far between. I don't really need the RT but if it's my only car I might as well get what I like or close too

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found a couple of 2013 Durango R/T and they have th 6sp and I don't see much advantage with the 8 from what I've read is there?
Two words: "Tow Capacity". 6-speed V6 Durangos will only tow 5000lbs. The 8 speed bumps it up to 6200, with the addition of the class IV hitch.

I've been keeping my eyes out for a 2014 or newer just for the 8spd. I'm not 100% certain my research is correct....however...I think the 6spd is a mopar transmission, and the 8spd is a ZF sourced unit. I've had many ZF transmissions with excellent performance and reliability. The Mopar transmissions, not so much. The ZF8HP in the 2014 and newer Durango's is a proven performer with excellent reliability.

I have no idea what transmission is in the V6 models.
I did the same @2kwik4u and you are correct! My 2014 V6 has the 8-speed WORLD of difference! Always in the right gear and tows like a beast! And the 2014+ has the cool "racetrack" tail light!

https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2013-vs-2014-dodge-durango-whats-difference-226746

"New wheel designs also arrive with the 2014 Durango, and this SUV is unmistakable at night thanks to its new LED racetrack-style taillights. Dodge has also revised the rear bumper to accommodate the standard Class IV tow hitch, which is fully integrated with the Durango's frame for a 7,400-lb maximum tow rating when properly equipped."

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have two durangos.... an 05.. the ugly basturd with all wheel drive and a hemi that we bought in 06, and a 2012 my wife daily driver. Both are well over 100k miles. We used the 05 to pull the boat when we first bought it. I ended up putting air bags under the back to help with towing not because it towed badly but because we towed a lot at night and I would always have drivers flashing their bright lights at me thinking mine where on. It squatted just enough to chase this effect. Other wise it was and is a beast. My wifes 2012 does not have the towing package on it. I have considered adding componants to it to make it a tow vehicle but then I ended up buying a f250 diesel... so now I already have two two vehicles dont need a third. These two durangos have been good to us... and if I were buying something to carry the fam around in I would look at a durango rt!

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I test drove a durango R/t end of the month in April. Drove nice and the room seemed nice on the inside. Our current driveway has a good amount of slope to it. With my SX190 hooked to the 2018 F150 I have, it nearly bottoms out when the driveway meets the street. Fairly certain the durango would have an issue and be totally bottomed out in this area so that would require intervention of some kind.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I bought a used 2013 RT last week fully loaded with extra stuff I don't need but it's there like the dvd player. It's in mechanical great shape I just have to fix a bunch of rock chips on the front and few other minor things. I am a automotive painter by trade so that's no issue. I tried to find a 14 or 15 and found a few but couldn't justify $10,000 more for one yr newer. I also seen in a few forums were the new tranny is having some issues with 1&2 gear on some and needing rebuilds but didn't see much on the 6speeds for issues. Now to drop the center muffler and do a few mods and a tunner and I think it will be a great car!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Decision made. We're gonna move to a Durango from the Sierra. Just gotta find the right one and the right deal.

Thanks for the feedback thusfar. I'll be sure to report back once the deal is done!
Little update on this thread......It's now been 5 months since we "made the decision to move" and I'm still driving the Sierra.

CarGuru's sent me an alert this morning with the EXACT Durango I had a search setup for (and forgot about) 5mo ago. Appears to have come in on trade at a dealership about 50mi from the house.

2015 R/T AWD - 13.7k miles - $33.5k (ask/website price)
White w/Blacktop Package
Sunroof
Tow Package
2nd Row BENCH seat

I think if the options and condition check out, and they'll drop a bit on price I might have a new Tow Vehicle.

Waiting on the dealership to send me some pictures and confirm some options before I drive out there. HOWEVER.......now that I have a solid lead on one that is within price range and driving distance. I'm feeling a little remorse about ditching the Sierra. It's such a good truck........Being an adult is hard.