• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Request for the guys towing with '14+ Durango's

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love that color/wheel combination @Cambo The gunmetal is very nice!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice looking truck indeed!

I'm hoping to find something in the "Storm Trooper" look myself. White with the Blacktop package is very sharp IMO.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure what your price range is, but I just saw a few nice ones on CarGurus with factory tow in your area for about 30K.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what your price range is, but I just saw a few nice ones on CarGurus with factory tow in your area for about 30K.
Yeap. I'm all over CarGurus with saved listings and all that.

Working on dealing with some negative equity issues on the Sierra. I hadn't intended to turn this one so quick, so I'm still in the red on it. Once I figure out how I want to deal with that issue, then I can move ahead on sourcing the right one.

I hate the car buying process in general, and this isn't quite the emergency I thought it was when I made the post, so I've got time to figure it out and make the right move.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back from the marina! Tows like a beast!
20190419_220720.jpg20190419_220704.jpg

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I have a 2011 Silverado crew cab pulling a 2012 seadoo 210 challenger and I'm not impressed at all with the 5.3 especially going to TN from IN in the hills. I have been look at the Durango RT also but at the same time hate to give up a truck bed. Good luck the RT around here are few and prices are all over the place

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2011 Silverado crew cab pulling a 2012 seadoo 210 challenger and I'm not impressed at all with the 5.3 especially going to TN from IN in the hills. I have been look at the Durango RT also but at the same time hate to give up a truck bed. Good luck the RT around here are few and prices are all over the place
Yea, trying to find one with the exact options i want in my price range has been difficult.

My 5.3 does great with my AR190. I suspect you have the 3.08 gears in yours. Those make the truck feel like a real dog when towing (and in normal driving IMO).

My truck is currently on day 7 in the shop. Went in for A/C repairs, vibration at 75mph, water intrusion in the back of the cab, a seat rattle, a failing tailgate latch, trailer brake system warnings, and an electric steering recall. Took the dealership 2 days to diagnose, and another 3 days to get the extended warranty to approve the claim. I'm not really pleased with the answers I'm getting on a few items, and the dealership is being far more reactive than proactive. We'll see how it shakes out. Most were little nits and picks on the truck, but the A/C failing was a final push to take it in.......Currently not boating because the extended warranty company only covers $38/day for the rental, and that won't get me anything with a tow rating.

The search has intensified since the truck has been in the shop. If I had a little more cash in hand I would have traded for a '18 Sierra Denali. Dealership has 22 of them on the lot with discounts as deep as $15k. Would be a nice little upgrade to get the 6.2L over my truck. Otherwise they're about the same.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Not sure what gears I have but the truck does have the towing package and brakes and all. I've been told the 5.3 has so much more power then the 5.7 but I'm not seeing it! One mech friend told me GM chokes these down and if I change the air intake system on it and exhaust it will greatly increase the power! Plus take of one of the catalytic converters since I guess it has 3 and maybe a chip or program will increase power and get better mpg. I'm trying to decide if I want to put money in the truck or sell it and find something else. I have found a few tundra trucks I thought about also, the ram has good power but they just so bad!

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our V6 Durango pulls our SX230 without any problems at all. An R/T with the Hemi would just be icing on the cake.20170930_164227.jpg

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what gears I have but the truck does have the towing package and brakes and all. I've been told the 5.3 has so much more power then the 5.7 but I'm not seeing it! One mech friend told me GM chokes these down and if I change the air intake system on it and exhaust it will greatly increase the power! Plus take of one of the catalytic converters since I guess it has 3 and maybe a chip or program will increase power and get better mpg. I'm trying to decide if I want to put money in the truck or sell it and find something else. I have found a few tundra trucks I thought about also, the ram has good power but they just so bad!
Again, we're in similar situations. I need to throw a few dollars at the Sierra to keep it fresh and current for me (Shocks and a tune mostly), or find something else. I've read reports of a good tuner getting 40-50hp from the 5.3, and a remapping of the transmission making it drive with a significantly more "powerful" feel to it. I already run it with 93 fuel to smooth out the rough idle, and provide just a shade extra power. It's a noticeable change, and an easy experiment for you.

The 5.7's in the Rams have the ZF8HP transmission. Honestly, I think this is a mountain that GM just can't compete against. This transmission is in everything from Audi's to Jeeps. It's a great trans, with exceptional tuning. That combined with the 5.7's VVT makes it feel much "peppier" than the 5.3 in the GM lineup. No VVT and an "antiquated" transmission strategy really hinder the power the 5.3 makes.

As to the Durango. I've been on the fence about getting the R/T package with the Hemi, and other options. It's a whole lot of "nice to have" with a sticker price to match. I'm travelling on business this week, and have reserved a Durango for the few days I'm out. I'm hoping actually spending some time with a V6, and the platform in general, will help me with that decision. A V6 model can be as much as $10k less than the R/T. Not nearly as much oomph, but maybe I don't really need it.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As to the Durango. I've been on the fence about getting the R/T package with the Hemi, and other options. It's a whole lot of "nice to have" with a sticker price to match. I'm travelling on business this week, and have reserved a Durango for the few days I'm out. I'm hoping actually spending some time with a V6, and the platform in general, will help me with that decision. A V6 model can be as much as $10k less than the R/T. Not nearly as much oomph, but maybe I don't really need it.
I drove both. The Hemi is RIDICULOUS! But, like you said, the sticker price will match. I really don't need another big V8 for a daily driver (I traded in an ''08 Durango with the Hemi). At this stage I'd rather have the better gas mileage and trust me, there's plenty of oomph! You can get a GT+ with the V6 and a few option packages that will give you the same "look" as the R/T (ballsy looking front end, wheels, etc.) and still save some bucks.
My Citadel is pretty well optioned out, nothing at all that I miss (though I wish I had the ballsy front end!):

DODGE DURANGO CITADEL AWD
Exterior Color: Sandstone Pearl Coat Exterior Paint
Interior Color: Black / Tan Interior Colors
Interior: Lux Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
Engine: 3.6-Liter V6 24-Valve VVT Engine
Transmission: 8-Speed 845RE Automatic Transmission

STANDARD EQUIPMENT (UNLESS REPLACED BY OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT)
FUNCTIONAL/SAFETY FEATURES
Rotary Shifter
Steering Wheel Mounted Shift Control
Advanced Multistage Front Airbags
Driver Inflatable Knee-Bolster Airbag
Supplemental Side-Curtain Airbags in All Rows
Supplemental Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready
ParkView™ Rear Back-up Camera
ParkSense® Rear Park Assist System
Keyless Go™
Security Alarm
Remote Start System
Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers

INTERIOR FEATURES
Heated Front Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Ventilated Front Seats
Pwr 8-Way Driver Seat w/Memory and 8-Way Pass Seat
Driver / Passenger Power 4-Way Lumbar Adjust
Second-Row 60 / 40 Fold and Tumble Seat
Air Conditioning with 3-Zone Automatic Temp Control
Third-Row Seat
Power Tilt / Telescope Steering Column
Uconnect® 8.4AN AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV
8.4-Inch Touch Screen Display
GPS Navigation
Dual Remote USB Port - Charge Only
Uconnect® Access
SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio Subscription
For More Information, Call 800-643-2112
Media Hub (SD, USB, Aux)
115-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet
SiriusXM Travel Link™ / 1-Year Subscription
Integrated Voice Command with Bluetooth®
Bluetooth® Streaming Audio
9 Amplified Speakers with Subwoofer

EXTERIOR FEATURES
Power Sunroof
Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps
LED Daytime Running Headlamps
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Projector Fog Lamps
LED Tail Lamps with Red Accents
Bright Premium Grille
Power Liftgate
Capless Fuel Fill
Dual Rear Exhaust with Bright Tips
20-Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Customer Preferred Package 23J
Trailer Tow Group IV $995
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
220-Amp Alternator
Class IV Receiver Hitch
7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
Rear Load Leveling Suspension
Full Size Spare Tire
Steel Spare Wheel
Second-Row Fold / Tumble Captain Chairs $895
Floor Mat, 3rd-Row, Mini Console
Second-Row Mini Console with Cup Holders
Second-Row Seat Mounted Inboard Armrests
Single Disc Remote CD Player
20190419_121241.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How is the fuel mileage on theses? Looking for some real world measured numbers from actual owners.

I know GM has a problem with a particular model gets the same mileage with or without the "big motor".....Case in point, most guys with the Sierra's that have the 6.2L are reporting around the same mileage as the 5.3 guys. Might as well have the extra power for the same cost at the pump.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gas Milage in a 5.7l Durango R/T is a bit better than my 5.7l half ton truck. If I were commuting an hour to work each day with no passengers this would not be something I would choose.

We stopped at the land rover/ jag dealership on Saturday as my wife wants something different now and we have my truck for towing. She liked a fully optioned range rover sport the best. Fitting both dogs in the back behind a divider after the morning run at the park is a requirement so the f pace and e pace were out with a german shepherd as they are short/small behind the rear seats. Aside from a bit nicer fit/finish along with some wiz bang fancy steering wheel controls and display really not better than the Durango for us. The price difference certainly is not justified for us. Also test drove a 4dr rubicon and the interior is comparatively awful to the Durango. If it were my choice we would just keep the Durango (I really like it) but it is her second and she wants something different.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got this as a rental until Friday morning. Full review coming soon.
IMG_20190514_121129.jpg

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I found a couple of 2013 Durango R/T and they have th 6sp and I don't see much advantage with the 8 from what I've read is there?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found a couple of 2013 Durango R/T and they have th 6sp and I don't see much advantage with the 8 from what I've read is there?
I've been keeping my eyes out for a 2014 or newer just for the 8spd. I'm not 100% certain my research is correct....however...I think the 6spd is a mopar transmission, and the 8spd is a ZF sourced unit. I've had many ZF transmissions with excellent performance and reliability. The Mopar transmissions, not so much. The ZF8HP in the 2014 and newer Durango's is a proven performer with excellent reliability.

I have no idea what transmission is in the V6 models.