• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Rydlyme Descaler safe on Jet boats?

ddarkknight10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

My starboard engine has been overheating. My local marine mechanic found lots of calcium and corrosion deposits on both thermostats, so he replaced them. He mentioned he suspects the same thing is happening inside the engine. I use salt away to flush after every use but yet I have all these calcium deposits and corrosion. I see lots of people prefer to use Rydlyme over salt away for their outboard engines. Is it safe to use on jet boats too?

What water do you go in fresh, salt, brackish, , how are you storing the boat ? on a trailer or a dock etc all this is important to know when dealing with this problem.

I'm down in FL in Salt water. I have my boat on a storage facility. I use yamalube spray to avoid corrosion after every flush with salt-away and washing the boat. Always put cover on boat when in storage. This how the old thermostats looked before being replaced

Attachments

• IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5383.jpg
    IMG_5383.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 4
This thread may be helpful.

Seems like the Rydlyme system is similar in that it recirculates the cleaner. From their website… Portable Flushing Kit - RYDLYME Marine It appears that it would be safe for our jetboats as well since they claim it will not hurt metals or hoses… you’ll just need a larger catch pan than the typical outboard uses.

I'm down in FL in Salt water. I have my boat on a storage facility. I use yamalube spray to avoid corrosion after every flush with salt-away and washing the boat. Always put cover on boat when in storage. This how the old thermostats looked before being replaced
Do you just flush with the salt away and rinse with fresh water hen you are done boating? Or do you let it sit in the engines?

Your thermostats actually look pretty good considering you boat in salt water..
There is a clean out procedure on their website..

You are sure it is calcium and not salt?

It’s used a lot on outboards so it would be safe for our aluminum engines. Redline is a descaler different from a salt remover.

I’ll be doing mine in a few months going to run it in a closed loop like an outboard so it can do its job cleaning for several hours

Do you use a shut off valve or pinch off the inlet line from the pump? Using one allows more pressure to the engine instead on a large percentage going out the jetpump.

I’m also assuming you checked the inlet screen in both jet pumps for the cooing water?

Ok that makes it easy to answer since I only boat in the gulf of Mexico and in Tampa Bay all salt water in Florida.
I add a small zinc anode to my pumps to help reduce corrosion as the factory one is usually magnesium, and I leave that one alone so I have both.
I make a wash solution from a mixture of dawn dish soap and a liquid car wash soap with the liquid wax in it.
I have a pig tail That connects to the hose flush fitting and hook it up then put in a good squeeze of the soap mixture and connect the hose, start the engine and turn on the water.
I have a quick release on and off connector on the hose so I can turn on or off the water easily at the fitting.
I have never had any issues with tap water here . But it can have a lot of minerals in it.
I watch the soap suds exit the pump and pisser , when the soap foam stops coning out I know it is flushed.
I have seen more of what you are experiencing from hard fresh water than salt water so you may want to also add some lime away to the mixture.
I like the liquid wax because it coats the inside of the water jackets and that helps to protects the inside surfacers.
I usually put around 1000 hours of hard running on my engines with no issues in the water jackets. Maybe get the water analyzed that you use to flush it..

Back