• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seeking used Yamaha pre-purchase advice...

I’m positive the 2014 is a member’s boat, or former boat. The first pic looks very familiar. Maybe look through the for sale section here.

We have a few members in Hopatcong, NJ. They may be willing to check it out for you.

Personally, the known (but maybe not to common) timing chain failures scare me away from the 2014/2015 240's. I've been looking at boats 2017+ but can't take the prices for many of these used boats.

Jim

250 hours on a 16 boat sounds about right…my guess would be more hours in the first few years of ownership then waning to the point of we might as well sell it?

Seems very clean and complete!

250 hours, is there a group consensus on those hours being low for the year/avg/high?

I might be going to look at it on Sunday if I can hear back from the seller and was curious about the hours.

Hours are comneserate with maintenance. These boats could last 400-1000+ hrs with the proper attention to detail.

I think you forgot some zeros?

Hours are comneserate with maintenance. These boats could last 400-1000+ hrs with the proper attention to detail.

400 would be a good break in. These engines have a history of much longer hours with them being on rental skis. 2000+.

400 would be a good break in. These engines have a history of much longer hours with them being on rental skis. 2000+.

Good to know when buying used, appreciate it!

I’m positive the 2014 is a member’s boat, or former boat. The first pic looks very familiar. Maybe look through the for sale section here.

We have a few members in Hopatcong, NJ. They may be willing to check it out for you.
I would take a hard pass unless this boat is significantly under market. $1000 min on the trailer to drive 500 miles and I would figure new interior is on the short term radar. Lots of labor too. It is likely that all clamps need replacing and possibly the steering cables. So you could be up to $5k or more. Polish, detail, carpet, mats…..don’t know what shape they are in. The 82 hours would be of a concern to me with it sitting for a long time. If it drives and runs full rpms and speed that would alleviate some concerns as that would somewhat rule out engine and pump issues. You could also see if steering is smooth.

Bottom line you could do better and reduce risk with a boat someone has treated like a baby although it might take some time.

I would take a hard pass unless this boat is significantly under market. $1000 min on the trailer to drive 500 miles and I would figure new interior is on the short term radar. Lots of labor too. It is likely that all clamps need replacing and possibly the steering cables. So you could be up to $5k or more. Polish, detail, carpet, mats…..don’t know what shape they are in. The 82 hours would be of a concern to me with it sitting for a long time. If it drives and runs full rpms and speed that would alleviate some concerns as that would somewhat rule out engine and pump issues. You could also see if steering is smooth.

Bottom line you could do better and reduce risk with a boat someone has treated like a baby although it might take some time.

Right now I'm at the "pass" option on the 14. Even though the pricing seems right - my gut is telling me to move onto something else.

I'm hopeful that a member replies soon as I have an interest in a boat that was just listed in the classified section.

Right now I'm at the "pass" option on the 14. Even though the pricing seems right - my gut is telling me to move onto something else.

I'm hopeful that a member replies soon as I have an interest in a boat that was just listed in the classified section.
Cool. I think I treat my boat well but there are folks out there who sing their boats to sleep at night. Buy one of those. :)

... there are folks out there who sing their boats to sleep at night.

I mean if you wetslip your boat you could definitely at least rock it to sleep? ? ?

I can do dad jokes for days! ?

I mean if you wetslip your boat you could definitely at least rock it to sleep? ? ?

I can do dad jokes for days! ?

i ran in to a guy on the lake with a 2007. It literally looked brand new…..all original. I’ve replaced some of my interior twice already with 2008. I asked him how it looked so new. He said it’s because he stores it in climate controlled indoor storage. I asked him how much it cost and he said $250/month. Do the math….$45000 for storing a boat that cost $35k new. Buy that guys boat.

... $45000 for storing a boat that cost $35k new. Buy that guys boat.

That blows my mind ?. But yes. Definitely buy that boat when it comes on the market.

My wife and I are looking into property with land to build a detached multi-bay garage...for toys. I really don't want to pay someone else's mortgage...

Back