• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting issues

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK so last week I had starting issues. 1st issue after 6 years of a perfect boat. So I checked the normal stuff. Found 1 bad battery out of my 2. Replaced. Still had starting issues. Took 3 days , read everythingi could on this forum and tried them all. Couldn't figure it out. So I bring the boat to yamaha dealer. I get a call today saying they have tried for 3 days and it starts everytime. What the hell. So now I made a 3 hour round trip for nothing and another 3 hours to pick up a boat. I know is gonna break down on the lake. Or even better . Once I get it home. It's not gonna start. So bring on the suggestions. It turns over everytime. Just wasn't starting. I have checked all safety switches. Boat dealer was worthless cause they can't get it to NOT start.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How old is the remaining battery?

Do the engines turn over and just not start?

Please describe the problem in more detail.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 2nd battery is 4 years old but tested perfect. Also I have a switch and it didn't start on either or both batteries together.
It turns over everytime. Just didn't start for me.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 2nd battery is 4 years old but tested perfect. Also I have a switch and it didn't start on either or both batteries together.
It turns over everytime. Just didn't start for me.
The bad battery was 6 years old. And wasn't even the problem. But tested bad so we replaced.

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which switches did you check? Be sure to check the cleanout plug hatch switches in the back as well as the safety lanyard at the helm. I had issues a while back with my safety lanyard not inserting properly in the switch causing my engines not to start.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The bad battery was 6 years old. And wasn't even the problem. But tested bad so we replaced.
It’s my recommendation to replace your batteries in pairs, especially being 4 years old. A new battery is only as good as the old battery.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you can provide more details on your boat and what happened, we might give you some additional ideas on the worst case that it happens again

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been having intermittent starting problems, mainly with the starboard motor. Turn the key...nothing. No click, no crank, just nothing. Turn the key off and try again and it will start, or maybe not start. It eventually starts after a few tries. I checked all my safety switches as well, battery is good, started solenoids are good. I think I've narrowed it down to the neutral safety switch in the throttle. If I work the throttles back and for before starting, it tends to start, rather than not. I have the parts and plan on swapping them out in the off season. I'll report back in the Spring.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At least you have a 2nd motor to rely on lol. My boat is only 1 motor. So it's concerning. Thanks for your thoughts

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s my recommendation to replace your batteries in pairs, especially being 4 years old. A new battery is only as good as the old battery.
I understand but the selector switch tells me it was doing it with either battery , good or bad one.
I'm beginning to wonder if the new battery is bad. Lol. I should have had them test it before I walked out the door.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Which switches did you check? Be sure to check the cleanout plug hatch switches in the back as well as the safety lanyard at the helm. I had issues a while back with my safety lanyard not inserting properly in the switch causing my engines not to start.
I checked back switch, safety lanyard, and neutral. 1 day it wouldn't start no matter what I did. Then next morning it started right up. Then didn't start the rest of the day.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some intermittent failure can be traced back to the hatch over the clean out plugs not firmly seating, so sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Another thing to consider is that some safety items let the motor crank, but not run; others won’t let it crank. Understand how each work on your boat, and you should only have to look at those related to the symptoms.

I think, but am not certain (and all boats afaik):
  • Throttle position = no crank
  • cleanout hatch = crank, no run
  • safety lanyard = crank, no run

JoeC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i disabled the switches in my clean out hatch. didnt see the need for them

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK so with the back hatch open it doesn't even turn over. That's what it's supposed to do. So I don't think that switch is my issue.
My boat does try to start everytime.
Today I disconnected the lanyard switch completely. And it started right up 4 times. Yehaw, I thought I fixed it. But then let it sit for a few hours and then tried. It didn't start 1st 2 times. Then started.
So what to check next? Please help.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some intermittent failure can be traced back to the hatch over the clean out plugs not firmly seating, so sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Another thing to consider is that some safety items let the motor crank, but not run; others won’t let it crank. Understand how each work on your boat, and you should only have to look at those related to the symptoms.

I think, but am not certain (and all boats afaik):
  • Throttle position = no crank
  • cleanout hatch = crank, no run
  • safety lanyard = crank, no run
When my hatch is open the boat won't even try to crank. So you are wrong about the cleanout hatch.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For the record, I get "no crank" when any of my safeties are engaged.
Cleanout hatch - no crank, Lanyard - no crank, Throttles - no crank.
I think my issue is the Throttle neutral switch.
Check your starter solenoids - may be going bad?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it’s turning over and starting sometimes then you’re not getting fuel or spark intermittently. Not much else it could be.

Start with the easy stuff - spark plugs old? Old fuel or water in fuel? Then check for spark and fuel pressure.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it’s turning over and starting sometimes then you’re not getting fuel or spark intermittently. Not much else it could be.

Start with the easy stuff - spark plugs old? Old fuel or water in fuel? Then check for spark and fuel pressure.
I emptied the gas tank yesterday on the lake. Put fresh fuel and yamaha stabilizer in. No change.
I just cleaned my spark plugs. Are these too dirty? They were replaced in February. NO change .. im not a good mechanic. How do i check fuel pressure??20220926_174819.jpg

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For the record, I get "no crank" when any of my safeties are engaged.
Cleanout hatch - no crank, Lanyard - no crank, Throttles - no crank.
I think my issue is the Throttle neutral switch.
Check your starter solenoids - may be going bad?
I get no crank rear hatch
No crank if not in neutral
I get crank if my lanyard is off.
I bypassed the starter relay a week ago and no change. I guess the starter solenoids are not the relay. So where are they? Please

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Your problem sounds electrical. It could be your ignition switch as well. Try wiggling the key around while it’s running.

Your clean out hatch switches could not be being depressed enough as well as there are two sets of contacts in there, one is the start circuit the other is the run circuit. Have you tried lifting up on that hatch while the engines are running and the latch is secure?

The throttles only have a start circuit permissive.

Next could be the ignition trigger on the engine. Check all of your multi pin connectors on the engine for corrosion. Look for any of the wires coming off of the stator area.

As well, any multi pin connectors under the helm associated with engine functions for corrosion and tightness.

The fact the engine is not quitting while running to me eliminates a fuel pressure problem.