• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting issues

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could stimulate the switch via the connector. The rear hatch switch is 2 stage. Sometimes it can set the engine to turn off still allowing cranking. It's not very common but at least relatively easy to test?

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could stimulate the switch via the connector. The rear hatch switch is 2 stage. Sometimes it can set the engine to turn off still allowing cranking. It's not very common but at least relatively easy to test?
So maybe just make a jumper in between the brown connectors??? That way not cutting anything just yet.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This has been such a great ride. Lol. Really. Even if I miss understood the rear hatch and that fixes it tomorrow. I still found dirty connections, 3 bad batteries, oil puddling in a plug and learned I can do way more to my boat than I wanted to. I may never take it into a service center again. My plan is to do my own yearly services from now on. Tomorrow is gonna be a great day..... unless the boat won't start. Thanks in advance for all the great ideas on this forum.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK It's definitely NOT the hatch switch. But then I went back to the spark plugs.
Now remember. I'm not a mechanic.
So I remember changing spark plugs 1 at a time. I also remember testing 1 spark plug. And then starting it. It started. But I never checked the others.
So I just pilled all plugs. And just tested to see if I see spark. I see 1 and 4. But I'm not seeing anything on 2 and 3.
If I plug in the piece in the pic to the connector of 1. I see spark . This is same with 2 and 3. But I don't see spark when they are plugged into their original 2 and 3 connectors.
So what do I do now?20220929_123007.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
At least you have a 2nd motor to rely on lol. My boat is only 1 motor. So it's concerning. Thanks for your thoughts
That was what I was going to suggest but you said it would not do anything and the neutral switch lets it turn over but not start had same issue once. the rear hatch switches do both no crank or start and you may just have a bad ground connection on that engine so it needs to be checked and cleaned.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are the coil packs. If you plugged it into each connection and 2&3 worked I would think they are bad.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would also clean all the electrical connectors and spray them with silicon spray I spray my electronical connectors with dielectric grease when the engine is new and I never hose off the engine with water I also spray my engine completely with white lithium grease, to coat it with a thin film if you start getting corroded connections you will have mystery problems with the electronics .and once that happens it is a pain to clean all the connections .

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those are the coil packs. If you plugged it into each connection and 2&3 worked I would think they are bad.
But I plugged 2 and 3 into 1 and it sparked. So they not bad . Right?

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But I plugged 2 and 3 into 1 and it sparked. So they not bad . Right?
It would either be the coil packs (long skinny black item you’re holding in the pic) that are bad, the wiring that is bad, or a bad connection between the two. Sounds like you have a little more diagnosis to do.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It would either be the coil packs (long skinny black item you’re holding in the pic) that are bad, the wiring that is bad, or a bad connection between the two. Sounds like you have a little more diagnosis to do.
Yes. Maybe. But I have given up. Will bring to a different shop next week. Sad I couldn't fix it but after 6 years with not 1 issue I guess its time for a pro .

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would also clean all the electrical connectors and spray them with silicon spray I spray my electronical connectors with dielectric grease when the engine is new and I never hose off the engine with water I also spray my engine completely with white lithium grease, to coat it with a thin film if you start getting corroded connections you will have mystery problems with the electronics .and once that happens it is a pain to clean all the connections .
I have unplugged every connector and sprayed each contact. I did find some corrosion on my battery Terminals but that was 3 weeks ago.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could be a bad key switch. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Or a bad wire between the ignition switch and engine. Hope you figure it out.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought you plugged 1 into 2 and 3.
No I plugged 2 and 3 into the wire for 1 or 4 and finally got spark. But they all only spark like 1 time. Am I supposed to get many sparks?

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Could be a bad key switch. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Or a bad wire between the ignition switch and engine. Hope you figure it out.
It will constantly try to crank. So I believe it's something after the ignition. But thanks. I have kinda given up. I think I will be taking it to another shop. And hope it doesn't start up for them .

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No I plugged 2 and 3 into the wire for 1 or 4 and finally got spark. But they all only spark like 1 time. Am I supposed to get many sparks?
They should keep sparking as long as you’re cranking the engine and the plug is grounded.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They should keep sparking as long as you’re cranking the engine and the plug is grounded.
OK that's definitely not happening on any plugs. Taking to shop. In the morning. Can't wait to give u all an update from the water in 6 to 8 weeks. LOLOLol😭😭😭😭

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds to me like one (or more than one) of 4 things:
  1. Lanyard kill switch
  2. Stern hatch kill switch
  3. bad ground or wiring connection somewhere
  4. Bad ECU
To eliminate 1 & 2 you want someone to mess with both switches, or completely bypass them while you attempt to start the engine. Sounds like you've done this?
To rule out 3 is hard....but one thing you can do is to turn a separate ground directly from the battery to the engine.
To rule out 4 you need YDS software to see if the ECU is throwing errors.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
unless maybe the TPS is slightly out of adjustment... ECU wont allow spark if it thinks the throttles are to far open

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I still think it is a dirty ground connection someplace not just at the battery but at the engine and any other ground for the electronics or even a dirty fuse connection , worst thing to try to do on a boat is tracking down a bad ground or a bad electrical connection.