• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting issues

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did tighten up all screws on the cleanout hatch. Didn't fix anything.
I figure it can be the hatch switch cause it won't turn over at all when that open. My boat will try to crank everytime.
Today it's been starting up 2nd time I crank it. If that means anything to u all.
I have cleaned a million connectors. From battery to relay , to behind ignition switch.
Yes the boat runs perfect at all speeds.... once it starts lol

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your plugs look fine and if you just changed them in February they probably are. I usually just replace vs guessing given their relatively low price.

@FSH 210 Sport is probably right about fuel pressure. I don’t know if pumps go intermittently bad. You’d need a gauge to check and you’d have to unhook your fuel line.

I didn’t realize the cleanout hatch can kill a running engine vs just keeping it from starting but that certainly makes sense.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Your plugs look fine and if you just changed them in February they probably are. I usually just replace vs guessing given their relatively low price.

@FSH 210 Sport is probably right about fuel pressure. I don’t know if pumps go intermittently bad. You’d need a gauge to check and you’d have to unhook your fuel line.

I didn’t realize the cleanout hatch can kill a running engine vs just keeping it from starting but that certainly makes sense.
There’s been at least one post wherein someone talked about hitting a big wake and one engine died and that was traced to too much play in the latching mechanism of the clean out hatch.

Those switches are what I like to call anti stupid switches,,, they will shut the engine off if you lift that hatch with the intent of sticking your hand into the clean out.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well everyone. I got home from work and of course tried to start the boat. And of course it didn't start. Tried a 2nd time cause it's been starting on 2nd try the last few days. . This time the boat gave me a battery alarm. Came up on dash. So I go to the batteries. Now I have given up on my older battery of the 2. But before I go to the autozone. I think to bring the brand new battery and have them test it also. We'll I found the new battery was leaking all over.
It tested good at the shop. But I still got a free one cause of the leak. 2nd battery tested bad this time. (Tested good 2 weeks ago.). So now I'm just gonna put each battery on the charger for a while and start this bitch up. LOL. I hope this does the trick.

Attachments

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NO GO!!!!!!! 2 brand new batteries, top off on charger. Still won't start . Worse than yesterday. I at least got it started a few times yesterday.
I will be removing the fuel pump tomorrow to clean the fuel filter. Any suggestions. I'm not good with this stuff. Looks like just some screws and pull it out of the tank???? Then I guess soak it in seafoam or gas????

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you share what happens?

Nananananananabrumbrum.... Normal happy path... What's yours doing???

Best of luck, I'm sure it can be figured out!

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you share what happens?

Nananananananabrumbrum.... Normal happy path... What's yours doing???

Best of luck, I'm sure it can be figured out!
Trys to crank every single time. But only starts sometimes. U might have to read the other posts to get full detail. But now with 2 brand new batteries I feel I have ro start all over. I got the best luck when I removed the safety lanyard from the system. Then maybe the bad batteries stopped it from cranking.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Best luck meaning, it starts every time with the safety lanyard bypassed?

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Best luck meaning, it starts every time with the safety lanyard bypassed?
It started the best 4 times in a row with that disconnected. Then 5th time it didn't. But now I'm thinking , with 2 crap batteries, they just didn't have what was needed to start it after 4 cranks.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, the switch can be finicky before it fails. Mine did and needed to be replaced.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I disconnected lanyard this morning and still no vroom vroom. Gotta be gas or spark plugs. I will dare to remove fuel filter today when I get the seafoam. And replace spark plugs. Again. Lol

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK. We'll I just found a plug full of oil. A full puddle. I'm not a mechanic but I'm pretty sure oil and electronics don't mix well.
I cleaned some up and just had to give it a try. And she fired up. Running on the hose now.
I will need to soak up more. But 1st time in 2 days it would start. I might be on to something.

Attachments

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK. The partzilla diagrams says it's a rectifier regulator assembly. But it has hose coming from the engine. So why is there oil in the regulator??? Is it supposed to be there? Or is it just for air flow and I have a bigger problem?? And if it's for regulating voltage, why hasn't this part ever been talked about as a possible cause for starting issues.
Not sure it's still my main problem but it A problem. Oil still seeping thru connector. I'm guess from inside each wire jacket.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s a water line for cooling, you sure it’s oil?

Your sandwich bag of gasoline is hilarious btw.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s a water line for cooling, you sure it’s oil?

Your sandwich bag of gasoline is hilarious btw.
Lol. I wanted to test the flow at the top of the pump. Shit right into the bag no mess.

The connector was full of oil . There's a big difference in viscosity of oil and water. Also water doesn't smell like oil. 😁 So yes I'm sure the plug was full of oil. Lol
I just removed the rectifier regulator from the box. And no oil. Just empty and dry. U sure it's for water?
I can't get any further into the regulator to see the wire connections.

Attachments

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes I believe the plate with the hose to it has cooling water run through it to help cool the rectifier.

I don’t know much about the rectifier itself and if they are oil filled or anything.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I believe the plate with the hose to it has cooling water run through it to help cool the rectifier.

I don’t know much about the rectifier itself and if they are oil filled or anything.
No way electrical connection should be oil filled. Unless I'm crazy . Lil dielectric grease is a different story. Either way I'm drying the hell out of the plug and then will try to start the boat again. But it only started 1 time since I started drying the oiled plug. So I don't think it's my issue. I really think I'm about to blow up this boat. How can I find an issue the yamaha dealer can't/ won't look for. Lol

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
on the 230s it was generally the hatch switch or the lanyard switch. hatch switch has 2 position due to 2 circuits. (4 cables total) One circuit to allow cranking the other to allow actual starting (same one that shuts engine when connected)

Sorry I don't have any more to help with!

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
on the 230s it was generally the hatch switch or the lanyard switch. hatch switch has 2 position due to 2 circuits. (4 cables total) One circuit to allow cranking the other to allow actual starting (same one that shuts engine when connected)

Sorry I don't have any more to help with!
But when the back hatch is open. It doesn't allow cranking. So that's not my issue? And if you open the hatch while started it kills the engine completely. U sure about the allow starting? And it not being a engine kill??? I can crank all day ( til my batteries die LOL)
but no start. And right now my safety lanyard is disconnected. And has started like that a few times.
So how can I test the back hatch with out doing the cutting of the brown wires and splicing them together???