• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Starting to see corrosion.

Mandiime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last year I kept my boat in a slip. After pulling it I started to see corrosion forming. It's not a lot at all but I don't want to leave it and have something develop. Do I need to change my anodes? Is slight corrosion normal? Do I need to pull it a few times during the summer and clean it?

Attachments

• PXL_20230426_025324764.jpg
    PXL_20230426_025324764.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20230426_025311737.jpg
    PXL_20230426_025311737.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20230426_025302525.jpg
    PXL_20230426_025302525.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20230426_025245742.jpg
    PXL_20230426_025245742.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 47
Last year I kept my boat in a slip. After pulling it I started to see corrosion forming. It's not a lot at all but I don't want to leave it and have something develop. Do I need to change my anodes? Is slight corrosion normal? Do I need to pull it a few times during the summer and clean it?

Pictures would be a big help.

Did you have an onboard battery charger that was left plugged in?

Fresh or salt water?

Thats some corrosive fresh water.

That looks more like hard water deposits than corrosion, if I’m correct, looking at the attached picture it’s on the gel coat as well. Your anodes look fine as well, mine look like that and I’m in fresh water too, but I don’t leave my boat in the water.

See here, it looks like something brushed across this spot and disturbed it.
E46F568C-48C5-40D7-9109-4D190B2EBC66.jpeg

Try spraying an area with a 1:1 mix of vinegar and water, let it sit for a couple of minutes then scrub it a little with a nylon brush, not a metal brush!, spray some more vinegar and water on it and scrub it again and let it sit for another couple of minutes then rinse it off. Don’t leave the vinegar / water mix on there, be sure and rinse it off.

I agree with @FSH 210 Sport . Verify the ride plate and steering fins have deposits and not pitting, by cleaning.

For a frame of reference, here is a shot of my boat. Brackish water, kept on a lift, anodes installed in 2019.
317ED280-4F33-4368-8E46-E836FB7D8321.jpeg
CDBE9FC8-6A04-497E-A01C-E368952ED77B.jpeg

I think I read somewhere that there are two different types of anodes. One is better for Salt water and one is better for Fresh Water... I'm not an anodes expert... but might be worth a google and see if that makes any difference.

I think I read somewhere that there are two different types of anodes. One is better for Salt water and one is better for Fresh Water... I'm not an anodes expert... but might be worth a google and see if that makes any difference.

It was mentioned here on this site as well!

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the help!

That looks more like hard water deposits than corrosion, if I’m correct, looking at the attached picture it’s on the gel coat as well. Your anodes look fine as well, mine look like that and I’m in fresh water too, but I don’t leave my boat in the water.

View attachment 198352

Try spraying an area with a 1:1 mix of vinegar and water, let it sit for a couple of minutes then scrub it a little with a nylon brush, not a metal brush!, spray some more vinegar and water on it and scrub it again and let it sit for another couple of minutes then rinse it off. Don’t leave the vinegar / water mix on there, be sure and rinse it off.
Roger that. I'll use that mix.

Roger that. I'll use that mix.

I use the same mix to remove water spots from the hull and the inside…it works great and its super cheap.

From How to Choose a Sacrificial Anode | Fisheries Supply,

THE METALS
  • Zinc is the traditional anode material because in the old days it was relatively easy to obtain. While zinc works adequately in saltwater, it will not protect your boat in fresh or brackish water. Additionally, not only is zinc itself toxic in the environment, zinc anodes must also contain extremely toxic cadmium metal as an activator. Zinc anodes are available for both recreational and commercial applications.
  • Aluminum anodes are rapidly replacing zinc for use on ALL hull materials. With the recent advent of alloys developed by the US Navy, anode aluminum is very different from the aluminum alloys used for boat hulls, outboards, and stern drives. These "mil spec" aluminum anodes are more electrically active and protect better than zinc, plus they last longer! Aluminum has been used in the offshore industry for years to protect installations where long-term corrosion protection is essential. Aluminum anodes also use a much less toxic activator – which makes them better for the environment. To top it off, aluminum anodes are really the only choice that will work in both brackish AND salt water. So if you keep your boat in a place that is exposed to both (such as at the mouth of a river that empties into the ocean) you should definitely be using aluminum. Aluminum has become the anode of choice for the US Navy, as well as for large commercial fleets. This is due to the money they save (aluminum anodes last longer so ships go longer between replacements) and because aluminum is so much lighter that they can help provide better fuel economy in larger fleets. Aluminum anodes are available for both recreational and commercial applications.
  • Magnesium anodes are the most active, and are the only anodes that work well in the low conductivity of fresh water. Magnesium is also relatively non- toxic to aquatic life. Being so active, magnesium doesn't last long in salt or brackish water and so is not recommended for these waters. Magnesium anodes are only available for recreational applications.
Jim

For more reference this picture of my 2005 ar230 sold in 2018 about 300hrs of 90% salt water use using the trailer. I did a deep clean twice they would get some white sediment build up but a scotch brite pad would take it off then I sprayed them with WD40 a few times during the season . For some reason this year did not have any anodes the two prongs are there but not tapped with threads.

Copy of port nozzle.jpg

View attachment 198352

Hopefully not too off-topic, but I boat in extremely hard water as well. While I do the vinegar/water on the exterior and some of the interior surfaces that are harder to get the deposits off, is there anything recommended to prevent any buildup from within the pump and motor? Is that even a concern? I know there are salt-water rinses and things like that to keep the corrosion at bay from boating in salt water, but I haven't really seen anything for fresh, hard water. Just a question that's been in the back of my mind from a first-time boat owner.

you want those anodes to corrode
From How to Choose a Sacrificial Anode | Fisheries Supply,

THE METALS
  • Zinc is the traditional anode material because in the old days it was relatively easy to obtain. While zinc works adequately in saltwater, it will not protect your boat in fresh or brackish water. Additionally, not only is zinc itself toxic in the environment, zinc anodes must also contain extremely toxic cadmium metal as an activator. Zinc anodes are available for both recreational and commercial applications.
  • Aluminum anodes are rapidly replacing zinc for use on ALL hull materials. With the recent advent of alloys developed by the US Navy, anode aluminum is very different from the aluminum alloys used for boat hulls, outboards, and stern drives. These "mil spec" aluminum anodes are more electrically active and protect better than zinc, plus they last longer! Aluminum has been used in the offshore industry for years to protect installations where long-term corrosion protection is essential. Aluminum anodes also use a much less toxic activator – which makes them better for the environment. To top it off, aluminum anodes are really the only choice that will work in both brackish AND salt water. So if you keep your boat in a place that is exposed to both (such as at the mouth of a river that empties into the ocean) you should definitely be using aluminum. Aluminum has become the anode of choice for the US Navy, as well as for large commercial fleets. This is due to the money they save (aluminum anodes last longer so ships go longer between replacements) and because aluminum is so much lighter that they can help provide better fuel economy in larger fleets. Aluminum anodes are available for both recreational and commercial applications.
  • Magnesium anodes are the most active, and are the only anodes that work well in the low conductivity of fresh water. Magnesium is also relatively non- toxic to aquatic life. Being so active, magnesium doesn't last long in salt or brackish water and so is not recommended for these waters. Magnesium anodes are only available for recreational applications.
Jim
do the anodes come in different metals? I think they only come in Aluminum. It's pretty well known that Zinc is the best for salt water environment as they will "sacrifice" themselves before any other metal.

Hopefully not too off-topic, but I boat in extremely hard water as well. While I do the vinegar/water on the exterior and some of the interior surfaces that are harder to get the deposits off, is there anything recommended to prevent any buildup from within the pump and motor? Is that even a concern? I know there are salt-water rinses and things like that to keep the corrosion at bay from boating in salt water, but I haven't really seen anything for fresh, hard water. Just a question that's been in the back of my mind from a first-time boat owner.

Mine too…. I’ve thought about CLR as a possible flush agent. I’ve also thought about just using vinegar in the salt away dispenser.

Mine too…. I’ve thought about CLR as a possible flush agent. I’ve also thought about just using vinegar in the salt away dispenser.
I did this in the fall with CLR, but I'm not sure how I can check to see if it actually does anything.

Back