• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Texas Outdoor Storage tips?

Oscarab78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
I’m in North Texas DFW area and I wanted to hear about anyone’s experience with storing there boats outside. I’m planning on storing mine on the side of my house with a standard boat cover. Winters are relatively mild in this area, we hardly ever reach freezing, have an above average spring rain fall and summer is hot as hell. Any issues, pointers, or experiences would be appreciated!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your area allows, putting a pole tarp over it will keep rain and sun on it, and will give you shade winter and summer. I have a 23ft boat, so I got this one

but When I had the 18ft boat, I got the 20ft and it was good.

It will last you between 2 and 6+ years depending on your luck, but it's well worth it to preserve the boat in my opinion. I'm in the Houston area so the risk is leaves, rain and debris, vs freezing weather.

Oscarab78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
HOA won’t allow the visible awning like that. I’ve got an 8ft privacy fence. My plan was to put a cover just under the top of the fence line to shade it. That is a sweet canopy though!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m in North Texas DFW area and I wanted to hear about anyone’s experience with storing there boats outside. I’m planning on storing mine on the side of my house with a standard boat cover. Winters are relatively mild in this area, we hardly ever reach freezing, have an above average spring rain fall and summer is hot as hell. Any issues, pointers, or experiences would be appreciated!
I use 2 sun sails: a 16x16 triangular one over bow and a 16x16 square one over raised canopy. With canopy up, I can always work on boat. Sun sails are inexpensive and 90-95% UV resistant. They breathe so the boat dries quickly after rain. I have not had trouble with wind. It blows through the fabric. I also stow or remove all the seat cushions and replace them with waterproof plywood covers for the openings left after removing the cushions. It took some time to make the covers but they work well. 3 new photos by Roy Smart

Attachments

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How does it behave in the rain? everything get wet and drys later? or do the sails block most of the water?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How does it behave in the rain? everything get wet and drys later? or do the sails block most of the water?
After going through $700 covers and cheap or expensive waterproof wind-catching tarps, I love it. No mildew. No damp environment for frogs in the water ways under the cushions. Sun sails are inexpensive and last one or two years, maybe more. Water goes through the triangular bow part but air dries. The shade sails are supposed to be 90-95% UV resistant so that should protect the Bimini top. It makes the boat so much more accessible.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Where I store my boat in the summer it's outside and under big Wisconsin White Pine trees. These things DRIP sap all year long, so just throwing the boat cover on the boat doesn't work if you like to keep things clean. With my previous Bayliner and now with the new 212S, here's my routine:

1) Clean surfaces with an anti-microbial solution (discourages mold)
2) Open all compartments.
3) Run a box fan about mid ship on high
4) I took an inline HVAC fan (link below), some dryer hose, and some duct tape and made an "exhaust fan" to remove the moist air from the boat. The rubber dryer hose is flexible enough to work underneath the tower flaps on the Yamaha cover. Along with the aforementioned circulating fan, this keeps the boat very dry.
5) Secure factory cover
6) I took a heavy duty tarp (silver/black kind) and ran some para-cord around the entire edge of the tarp, through the grommets, to allow me to cinch the tarp around the boat. I accordion-fold the tarp, boat-length-wise, and lay it on the back of the boat, just in front of the trailer guides, which help keep it there. Then the wife and I pull the whole thing up and over the front of the boat. Then I pull the para-cord tight at the rear and it cinches the whole thing down and keeps it pretty wind proof. This tarp is my sap barrier and keeps the cover from being exposed to sun/rain too. Because I pull up over the tower, there's a lot of nice air-gaps to keep the cover cool and dry.

Btw, pulling the tarp over the boat is my least favorite thing to do. It's almost mandatory to have a second adult. Even with my cadence, the para-cord still can get hung up on ever.little.knob. If you're going to use a method like this, go slow, and don't pull hard, as it will lead to rips and damage. I've also used a pool noodle over the light/tow point on the tower to "smooth" the tarp transition over this point. Otherwise a good broom works to poke the tarp up and over.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to have a cloth cover that had similar properties and it was awesome while it lasted, but they stopped making them. All the "breathable" crap they sell now...I have no idea how they can label it as breathable.

When I complained about this KILLER breathability, I got this

In a nutshell, breath ability refers to the ability of a fabric to absorb moisture and release it through the material itself, allowing it to breathe. Waterproof fabrics are resistant to water penetration. This is typically done using a membrane or a coating that act as a barrier, preventing moisture from permeating the fabric, keeping you dry and comfortable. Breathable fabrics allow sweat in the form of water vapor to escape from the inside of the fabric to the outside.
If you die with it against your face after 10 minutes,, It is NOT breathable. I got some crap that it allows air vapor to pass through... I don't think so.

Anyway, I'm still bitter. Your solution looks pretty cool.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@anmut Wisconsin is a challenging climate. I lived there working as a roofing contractor most of my life.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Beachbummer The sunsails are expendable. So far the Bimini top has remained in good shape.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score