• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Thoughts from first time out...

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So, after two weeks of trying to find time, we finally got the AR195 out for her maiden voyage! I thought I'd share some thoughts to spark discussion, help other new owners...or to get answers!

1 - I completely forgot about the engine break-in instruction from the manual...how screwed am I for not following them?
2 - The internet is NOT lying when they say jetboats have no steering at slow speeds...I don't know how you folks are docking these things!! It was a nightmare
3 - It's loud! I'll need to read some threads on quieting down the engine bay
4 - It was so much fun!! We can't wait to get out more...but docking is going to take a long time to get the hang of!

~Andrew

1 - if you don’t sling a rod before 50 hours you’re good. High RPMs are great for seating rings. A little less ideal for the rod bearings
2- Yes. Thrust vectors or Cobra Jet steering will hook you up
3- Yes. Enjoy it. Embrace it
4- Yes. Too much fun. Welcome aboard!

And I still will never understand someone that doesn’t take the shortest route from the dealer to boat ramp. Then let it sit for 2 weeks.

lol, you will get used to the steering, it just takes practice and experience. A couple of little tricks I’ve learned:

- if it feels like you have no steering (like when you slow down and are coming off plane), just give it a little throttle and she’ll dig right in and turn
- when docking, I approach the dock at an angle, say around 30 degrees. I use no-wake mode and don’t even touch the throttle until I’m ready to reverse to stop any forward motion. Once you’ve stopped the boat, shut down the engine because she’ll wander on you. There’s no true neutral in these boats.

Lots of posts and videos on YouTube about docking.

Good luck and have fun.

Congrats and welcome! A couple of tips I just posted regarding the annoying stuff (docking and loading).. By the way, all 6 items below? I have learned EVERY SINGLE ONE of these the HARD way. lol. Good luck!

1. When launching... make a checklist at first. Always double-check, Transom straps off. Drain plug in. Cleanout plug in. You'll need to back the boat further in the water when launching, then you do when loading.
  2. When starting... if it doesn't start don't panic- remember that you need the cleanout plugs in, and the back hatch closed, you need the little safety clip in, and the throttle in neutral.
  3. When cruising... it's pretty straight forward, and there aren't any tips you'll need. You can't really do much wrong. Here's the only things that can go wrong; don't ever go over a dock line or tow rope in the water, they will get sucked in and wrap around the impeller and stall your engine (always keep a knife on board for this), so watch out for your own lines tied to your boat. If you're boating somewhere that's weedy like a lake, plan that weeds will get wrapped around the impeller, and you'll experience what we call "cavitation" at higher throttle. Just shut off the boat, and open the cleanout plug and pull the weeds out. I go on lakes, and I have to literally do this once or twice every single time I'm boating. It's just one of those things.
  4. When docking... get your docklines and fenders setup early while you're sitting still... don't wait till you're close and in motion, because the moment you stop steering, our boats really tend to wander a lot and the boat will turn in a different direction. Tell your passengers what you expect them to do (jump out early, protect the boat, etc). And you can NOT steer without throttle, so going slow is actually difficult. Here's how you go as slow as possible, you move the throttle from Neutral, to the first click into forward gear for a second, then back into Neutral, and do this over and over, switching from N to in gear, and that will allow you to go slow, and still steer. Docking is kind of hard with our boats, compared to any boat with a prop. I can dock large pontoon boats brilliantly and confidently, yet I've had my own jet boat for 4 years and it's still 50/50 for me each time whether or not I'll dock it smoothly. So assume that docking will always be less than perfect, and if you do perfect it then well done to you sir.
  5. When loading... Don't put your trailer in at the same depth you launched from. You'll probably even want to see the front of the carpeted trailer boat supports just sticking out of the water, so that they will really guide the boat on straight. For me, I'd rather have the certainty of getting the boat aligned on the trailer. This is where you want those boat trailer guides, get a nice runway in, so you can go as straight as possible... Use the alternating between N and throttle, to go nice and slow. Sometimes after shutting the boat off and connecting the bow hook, I'll then back my vehicle in further, so the boat can float a bit higher and it's easier to winch on. (I don't try to power load and I don't recommend it). Winch the boat until the bow hook is touching the bow roller.
  6. Accept that you WILL scuff or scratch your boat, and probably in the first year. It's okay. Have fun!

What Daren said...He is spot on with the 50/50 comment, especially at the coast with current and wind direction changes.
We have a neighborhood dock at the coast and some days I just glide in like a pro...Then, other days, not so much...:)
Last Saturday, coming in at an angle, appeared to be in total control, then a gust of wind, along with current, and bam...hit the dock head on but slow.....Left a large black mark on the bow that did come off with Goo Gone. So..........It's tough at times, and I have the latest Cobra Viper steering...
Good Luck and Enjoy, it just takes some practice.

So, after two weeks of trying to find time, we finally got the AR195 out for her maiden voyage! I thought I'd share some thoughts to spark discussion, help other new owners...or to get answers!

1 - I completely forgot about the engine break-in instruction from the manual...how screwed am I for not following them?
2 - The internet is NOT lying when they say jetboats have no steering at slow speeds...I don't know how you folks are docking these things!! It was a nightmare
4 - It was so much fun!! We can't wait to get out more...but docking is going to take a long time to get the hang of!

~Andrew

Go back and read your manual about the TDE position of your throttle which is the first detent, and use the no wake mode button to raise the rpm, this greatly enhances slow speed control authority. No wake mode at level three while the throttle is in the TDE position produces brisk directional control.

As far as docking goes nothing is going to help you more than practice, accept no substitutes. Whenever possible make your approach into the wind and or current, don’t try and let the wind / current take you to the dock or the trailer if at all possible, sometimes it’s unavoidable just try to avoid that.

Don’t approach the dock any faster than you want to hit it.

Last edited:

~Andrew
Yep, slow speeds are awful in these things. I too just bought a new jet boat for the first time. I've taken it out three times, the first and third time I missed loading it on the trailer and had to re-try. It's definitely not easy and honestly, is frustrating. I bought the thrust vectors and lateral thrusters because of this, they are on order now and I hope they make a difference.

Thank you so much everyone! I was most worried about not following the engine break in stuff. We'll be out in it next week and I'll make sure to start off with low rpm's before towing anyone.

As for the steering...I'm glad to read I'm not the only one and that even veteran owners still have the occasional issue!

Thank you so much everyone! I was most worried about not following the engine break in stuff. We'll be out in it next week and I'll make sure to start off with low rpm's before towing anyone.

As for the steering...I'm glad to read I'm not the only one and that even veteran owners still have the occasional issue!

How many hours did you put on the engine the first time out ? If you drove it hard for the same or more hours than what the break in period is then what’s done is done, just let it warm up good before dropping the hammer.

Our boats don’t have a keel or outdrive sticking down in the water so a small gust of wind will push you pretty quickly, that’s one of the downsides of a jet boat that go along with the upsides, no thrust =‘s no control. Again, practice, practice, practice. Neither of the bolt on steering enhancements is going to provide a magic bullet to the docking maneuvers, practice and familiarity will make you a pro at docking.

We were out for maybe an hour...it was pretty chilly. I just wanted to get the boat out and make sure everything worked before the heat hits this coming week.

Yep, slow speeds are awful in these things. I too just bought a new jet boat for the first time. I've taken it out three times, the first and third time I missed loading it on the trailer and had to re-try. It's definitely not easy and honestly, is frustrating. I bought the thrust vectors and lateral thrusters because of this, they are on order now and I hope they make a difference.
I'd also personally recommend trailer guide poles. I feel they have helped me a ton with loading the boat back on the trailer. I use to be extremely skittish when loading the trailer just aiming for the winch post before them, due to low speed manuervering, and trying to over correct.

Great comments guys...Also, if you have a ramp full of people, and boats coming in behind you, the worse thing you can do is rush the process.
I've done it and sometimes still do it trying to get out of the way. This will only add to your frustration....and more mistakes.

I'd also personally recommend trailer guide poles. I feel they have helped me a ton with loading the boat back on the trailer. I use to be extremely skittish when loading the trailer just aiming for the winch post before them, due to low speed manuervering, and trying to over correct.
This! I had the guide poles on my last trailer, and I will be adding them this fall on my new trailer.

Great comments guys...Also, if you have a ramp full of people, and boats coming in behind you, the worse thing you can do is rush the process.
I've done it and sometimes still do it trying to get out of the way. This will only add to your frustration....and more mistakes.
I'm lucky enough to have a private marina that I pay a membership fee for launch privileges. It's only $25 a month and at least half the time I'm the only person launching or loading my boat. It beats the heck out of the circus that is the public launch.

~Andrew
Go read through this thread. Tons of great info on docking techniques with a single engine Yamaha.

I invented steering for jet boats 23 years ago and have steering for your boat that will work at all speeds is adjustable and selectable and includes a plaining surface for faster hole shot a smoother ride in chop .
The super ultimate ak-19 deluxe single is buy direct discount priced at only $268.99 all year long and free shipping in the U S A .

This system will handle all your needs and your nozzles come from the factory with angled thrust so you need nothing else to get the most from your boat even the bow wander goes away and the loss of steering when rapidly decelerating in a turn and stay in control if you are turning and decelerating at the same time Excellent for water sport activities as well.

Here is a video provided by a very happy customer trying out his super ultimate ak-19 deluxe for the first time on his 2022 195s Yamaha jet boat and his... | By Cobra jet steeringFacebook

Picture of the super ultimate ak-19 deluxe single
1724364915893.jpeg

Last edited:
lol, you will get used to the steering, it just takes practice and experience. A couple of little tricks I’ve learned:

- if it feels like you have no steering (like when you slow down and are coming off plane), just give it a little throttle and she’ll dig right in and turn
- when docking, I approach the dock at an angle, say around 30 degrees. I use no-wake mode and don’t even touch the throttle until I’m ready to reverse to stop any forward motion. Once you’ve stopped the boat, shut down the engine because she’ll wander on you. There’s no true neutral in these boats.

Lots of posts and videos on YouTube about docking.

Good luck and have fun.
Great feedback. Especially the "There's no neutral in these boats". I'm a new owner as well and that was hard to understand at first.

Back