• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Hello all!

Just bought a 2021 Yamaha 252s. The sales guy told me to purchase the new thrust vector to help with the slow speed maneuverability and to help build a bigger, crisper surf wake. I see how it helps with steering but does anyone know how exactly it helps build a bigger wave?... Also, I bought the Yamaha Wake Booster and 1100lbs worth of fatsac ballast bags. Any suggestions on what else I will need to get that perfect wave?

Thanks everyone!

Thrust vectors alone wont help with wave. Unless its a surf package

That's what I'm thinking. I've been watching their videos today and the guy clearly says that it will make the wake larger and crisper. I sent them an email to clarify.

Another case of a “dealer” making false claims… how utterly disappointing.

Your boat has twin engines, use them to great effect at slow speeds. The majority of my engine hours are at 1.8 mph trolling, I have yet to install any type of steering enhancement devices and do not feel the need for them.

Have you had your boat out yet without them on?

Yes. The second time we took it out the winds were 20-30 mph. It pushed me where ever it wanted the boat to go. Which was the dock. Made me look like a novice. The dealership is the one that actually suggested them when I purchased the boat. I just got my order in today. Gonna give them a whirl see how they do. At this point I'm just trying to do everything I can do to make it to where the kiddo can surf and it be enjoyable.

Yes. The second time we took it out the winds were 20-30 mph. It pushed me where ever it wanted the boat to go. Which was the dock. Made me look like a novice. The dealership is the one that actually suggested them when I purchased the boat. I just got my order in today. Gonna give them a whirl see how they do. At this point I'm just trying to do everything I can do to make it to where the kiddo can surf and it be enjoyable.

The wind is also my nemesis… however the thrust vectors are not going to help you with the wind pushing you around. I suggest splitting the throttles and use the engines to help with directional control, but that has it’s limitations as well, sometimes you have to use both throttles together and use more thrust to get directional control. Also, don’t use the wind to push you where you want to go, if things go wrong you don’t have an out, you are at the mercy of the wind. If at all possible come in against the wind, whether your fighting the wind going forward or reverse.

Respectfully submitted…

It has definitely been a huge learning curve with the twin throttles and being a jet boat. Thanks for the tips.

It has definitely been a huge learning curve with the twin throttles and being a jet boat. Thanks for the tips.

It was a steep learning curve for me as well! I was fortunate in that a good friend has many many years of marine experience. It took him a bit as well to acclimate to the jet drive. I did a write up in the fishing section recently about my recent trip to Lake Oahe.. it got very windy one day while out on the river, winds 35 mph sustained with gusts to 45mph, and it was blowing perpendicular to the dock. Had to approach the trailer on the lee side of the dock, and had to be pretty aggressive with the throttles together, with the split throttles there was not enough power to overcome the wind. I got it on the trailer with the first attempt-that is the result of a lot of practice on other windy days. You will get there! Have fun with the kiddo’s wake surfing!!

It was a steep learning curve for me as well! I was fortunate in that a good friend has many many years of marine experience. It took him a bit as well to acclimate to the jet drive. I did a write up in the fishing section recently about my recent trip to Lake Oahe.. it got very windy one day while out on the river, winds 35 mph sustained with gusts to 45mph, and it was blowing perpendicular to the dock. Had to approach the trailer on the lee side of the dock, and had to be pretty aggressive with the throttles together, with the split throttles there was not enough power to overcome the wind. I got it on the trailer with the first attempt-that is the result of a lot of practice on other windy days. You will get there! Have fun with the kiddo’s wake surfing!!
I’ve had 2 different experiences when approaching the dock, once solo, and one with my wife. When I was solo I tried several times to get to the dock, but I couldn’t get a line on before the wind pushed me away. After several attempts, I switched my fenders and let the wind and current assist with getting to the dock. This worked when I was solo and the docks were empty. The second time with my wife, we made it to the dock against the wind, and she got on the dock but couldn’t secure me because the docks were like 4 feet high. I’ll never approach docks that high again. Bottom line, I need more practice with the dual throttles and directional control. Syncing my throttles turned out not to be the best of ideas.

Also be sure to do your research on Thrust Vectors and Cobras, you have more than one option.

I’ve docked in 20mph wind before, not that big of deal. Reverse thrust is definitely your friend.

Also be sure to do your research on Thrust Vectors and Cobras, you have more than one option.

I’ve docked in 20mph wind before, not that big of deal. Reverse thrust is definitely your friend.
And if you go with the Cobras, make dure you get the black ones.?

So I have a 2021 sx195. I’ve boated for years with I/I’d and I cannot drive this thing to save my life! Are these worth the money? Also which one do I need? I see one says lateral forward and reverse.

Add the super ultimate ak-19 deluxe cobra steering system for $268.00 with free domestic shipping and get more than just slow speed assistance at the dock and no plastic fins or water spray behind the boat.. nor do they increase the draft of the boat or hang below the rudder. Get better control at all speeds in forward and reverse , get steering at high speed that YOU select the level 20 years of making jet boats steer and drivers smile and the deluxe has the plaining surface for faster hole shots smoother ride in chop and a cleaner wake behind the boat.
I also have super systems for the twin engine boats that also add in the patented second tie rod for balance and redundancy as well as adjustable full time fins and special top fins for more assistance at slow speed and again NO increase in the draft of the boat and you can maintain steering during rapid deceleration . Plus hold the back of the boat while engaged in watersport activities. The most features and benefits available. and only $489.99 with free domestic shipping cobrajetsteering.com

Attachments

• Cobra super MAGNUM AK-19 deluxe 3.jpg
    Cobra super MAGNUM AK-19 deluxe 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • super ultimate ak-19 deluxe on another customers boat.jpg
    super ultimate ak-19 deluxe on another customers boat.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

Curios as to your thoughts now that you’ve presumably had for a few months? Worth it or not?

Back