• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust vectors and lateral thrusters

Kathan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m interested on buying thrust vectors and lateral thrusters for a 2019 242 LSE. The question is which thrust vectors are best (x, xl, wake ) also, can it be combined with lateral thrusters.
I’m first time owner and never boat before

you don't need LT with your boat. For vectors go with the latest version. If you are not planning on wakesurfing just get the latest ones without the deflector. easy peasy

Thank you very much for the answer. Eventually, I would like to wake surf and try to do all the fun stuff. Is it worth it to get the deflector?.

I have a 2016 242 Ltd s - same hull but mechanical buckets vs the electronics of the LSE and run Cobra AK’s with Lateral Thrusters. IMHO the LT’s do add additional maneuvering capability that comes in handy in windy or high current conditions. The fin debate is well discussed on this forum and there have been a lot of changes since 2016 so I will not comment on those other than saying that the fins did improve the low speed handling- again most noticeable in windy or high currents

@Kathan and Because you are new to this I strongly recommend you do your research when it comes to adding steering to your boat you will discover that There are systems that balance out your original system by adding in a patented second tie rod and this system provides exceptional steering control at all speeds so you can steer even when you decelerate and make fast turns with no serious speed bleed off also the system is made of tempered aluminum fins with top fins for extra steering input at slow speed and fins that are made for high speed and water sport activities ,there are also plaining surfaces in this system for faster hole shots and a smoother ride in chop while also cleaning up the water spray behind the boat all in a system that does NOT INCREASE the boats draft, and with special fin brackets that are designed to allow the fin to move up on impact to protect the boats original parts. And the entire price for the DELUXE version is only $489.99 with free priority mail in the U S A. There are also spring loaded versions of this however because the keel and rudder of your boat are a lot lower than the system it is really not necessary to be spending the extra money for the spring loaded set.
These systems have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and a repair or replace warranty that are both posted on the web site for customers to review. The system I am suggesting is the super ultimate AK-19 deluxe.
There is also a super magnum Ak-19 base system with just the tie rod & the outer adjustable fins for only $369.99 and that system is upgradeable to the deluxe version later if you choose.
And these systems are currently in use by members of this web page so you can get real customer feedback from people who actually have them in use on their boats .

you don't need LT with your boat. For vectors go with the latest version. If you are not planning on wakesurfing just get the latest ones without the deflector. easy peasy
I have 2021 does that mean I do not need LT too?

Yamaha added their version of Lateral Thrusters to their boats starting in 2019, i.e. they are already there, and are not an item that is needed to add on.

I’m interested on buying thrust vectors and lateral thrusters for a 2019 242 LSE. The question is which thrust vectors are best (x, xl, wake ) also, can it be combined with lateral thrusters.
I’m first time owner and never boat before

Have an '18 242x and have been happy with both LT & X vectors using with the Yamaha Wakebooster. Wasn't aware that the '19 yama's came with their version of LT's, given that I'd also go with the new Thrustvectors, not the older X, XL or Wake versions.

If you want to get into surfing you might also consider toeing in your jets, there's some discussion on Yama's Surfpoint (toed in nozzle degrees) being a gimmick, but we've been happy with the results and those that have straightened them out have commented that it does increase the probability of blowing out your wake. Just some food for thought.

Absolutely ! Run the boat in wind , waves and strong currents. Then do turns at speed on plane and decelerate while turning , see how quickly the boat makes hard turns at speed. Drive in heavy traffic at no wake mode and see how the other boat wakes effect you as well and see if you have to make constant steering corrections in those conditions.
If everything is fine also understand that if you strike your factory keel on the ground hard enough you can break it off the back of the boat then you have some issues to deal with returning to the boat ramp etc. or if you Hit the rudder on the ground sideways in shallow water and snap the steering cable at the threaded part next to the steering arm of the nozzle you also have some issues to deal with returning to the ramp etc.
The jet boat situation today is a lot more involver than just steering at the dock and loading the boat on a trailer, it is water sport activities and being out in wind , waves, with family members and friends wanting the extra control necessary for you to be in complete control.
If you are not sitting back operating in confidence at all speeds if you are constantly making left / right corrections in the helm if you hesitate to allow other people to operate the boat you need to ask yourself is this what I want out of my time on the water ?
It's your boat make it do your bidding not someone eases. And the increased handling is so much better at all speeds even in off power situations with a satisfaction guarantee and 20 years of experience that it's a no brainer.
Also if you have one of the newer boats with the E series electronic reverse controls remember On MY designs I never remove the stainless steel reverse bucket collars and replace them with a plastic or aluminum material because if the reverse buckets get hung up and refuse to work and you get codes when you try to use it so you bring it in to the dealer for warranty work to correct it, well guess what, if it isn't Yamaha's parts it isn't their problem, Yamaha warranty won't cover it. So do your research if you decide to improve the handling of your boat with an aftermarket steering system after you test it out as it comes from the factory I strongly suggest you do your research and add one of MY model specific steering systems to the boat it's a very small price to pay for the huge improvements and added benefits , like faster hole shots a smoother ride in chop. Better handling from idle to W O T. https://jetboaters.net/threads/basi...us-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/ 5 us patents and 20 years of experience COBRAJETSTEERING making jet boats steer and drivers smile.

Attachments

• thrust vector plastic and aluminum standoff.jpg
    thrust vector plastic and aluminum standoff.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 103
  • broken rudder after striking the ground no damage to my steering.jpg
    broken rudder after striking the ground no damage to my steering.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 112
  • broken steering cable on stock  2018 24 foot Yamaha (2)_LI.jpg paint area.jpg
    broken steering cable on stock 2018 24 foot Yamaha (2)_LI.jpg paint area.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 104
I have 2021 does that mean I do not need LT too?
I tried to order Lateral Thrusters for my 2021 212SE from Jetboatpilot. They aren't available for 2021 models yet. Possibly next year. They are working on a new design to fit the 2021"s.

I tried to order Lateral Thrusters for my 2021 212SE from Jetboatpilot. They aren't available for 2021 models yet. Possibly next year. They are working on a new design to fit the 2021"s.
We do not need lateral thrusters, Yamaha included that in 19' and up model. Someone told me (scroll up the thread) and I verified it check your jet nozzle you can easily identify it. My boat can do a full circle on neutral. We can still add the thrust vector though.

Can you tell me please where have you checked that yamaha boats after 2019 have LT factory installed?
It's easy to spot, right below the main jet, there is two holes that points to the side (for each jet if you have dual motor)

I am sorry i do not have boat yet.still waiting for delivery from yamaha dealer....sorry to bother you but Do you think factory install yamaha LT is comperable to Jet Boat Pilot LT?Do you think it is worth to upgrade?

I am sorry i do not have boat yet.still waiting for delivery from yamaha dealer....sorry to bother you but Do you think factory install yamaha LT is comperable to Jet Boat Pilot LT?Do you think it is worth to upgrade?
My first jetboat is 2021 model already come with factory LT and I never have older ones where I installed jetboatpilot LT so I cant compare the two. My factory one worked great and I added Thrust Vector for added low speed control.

Don't sweat it. Get the boat. Drive it. Then figure it out.

Back