• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Poor Rear Suspension Question

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tow my 242 with a Nissan Armada with air suspension. The vehicle has 177k miles on it and I don’t want to put a lot of money into it. There’s something wrong with the suspension system and the boat now sits too low. Would it be okay if I just bought an adjustable height trailer hitch to level the boat out or are there side effects that will come if I do? I don’t plan on any long distance towing. Thanks!

I tow my 242 with a Nissan Armada with air suspension. The vehicle has 177k miles on it and I don’t want to put a lot of money into it. There’s something wrong with the suspension system and the boat now sits too low. Would it be okay if I just bought an adjustable height trailer hitch to level the boat out or are there side effects that will come if I do? I don’t plan on any long distance towing. Thanks!

If the air suspension is still working, I.E. the air compressor is still working and the lines are still good, then it sounds like the auto leveling sensor has either failed or has become disconnected. Take a look under the vehicle and look for a sensor that is mounted to the frame that has an arm going to some point on the suspension. This is your auto leveling sensor and tells the compressor to either pump up the air when the rear is too low or to a dump valve that lets air out, like after you take the boat off and the rear is too high.

I do think the riser hitch would be okay, but, I’d see if I could fix that air suspension system first to get things working correctly.

Could be the fuse for the air compressor ??? You might try and figure that out as well.

If the air suspension is still working, I.E. the air compressor is still working and the lines are still good, then it sounds like the auto leveling sensor has either failed or has become disconnected. Take a look under the vehicle and look for a sensor that is mounted to the frame that has an arm going to some point on the suspension. This is your auto leveling sensor and tells the compressor to either pump up the air when the rear is too low or to a dump valve that lets air out, like after you take the boat off and the rear is too high.

I do think the riser hitch would be okay, but, I’d see if I could fix that air suspension system first to get things working correctly.

Could be the fuse for the air compressor ??? You might try and figure that out as well.
Thanks! I tried bypassing the sensor to see if the compressor would kick on but nothing happened. I have two relays before it gets to the sensor. I can’t figure out how to test one of them and the other relay is an $800 dollar fix, but you have to order the part to know if that’s the problem. I suspect if I take it to a mechanic, I’m looking at a $1000 bill at least. All the fuses are good. If you think it would be okay to tow with a higher hitch, then I feel good about doing that. It will at least buy me some time to keep tinkering with the relays.

I have a Lincoln Blackwood and you can't get parts for the air suspension, so I took it out and replaced it with leaf springs from an F150. I wonder if you could do the same with a titan?

Relays can be diagnosed by bypassing them...If you feed 12v directly to the compressor (say from jumper cables) does it pump? Maybe a manual switch on the compressor gets you there for towing? Wild thoughts.

Thanks! I tried bypassing the sensor to see if the compressor would kick on but nothing happened. I have two relays before it gets to the sensor. I can’t figure out how to test one of them and the other relay is an $800 dollar fix, but you have to order the part to know if that’s the problem. I suspect if I take it to a mechanic, I’m looking at a $1000 bill at least. All the fuses are good. If you think it would be okay to tow with a higher hitch, then I feel good about doing that. It will at least buy me some time to keep tinkering with the relays.

Where are the relays located?

I know you don‘t want to spend the bread on it.. but, if you take it to the dealer then they can deal with figuring out which relay is bad, and you get a one year warranty I would assume on the repairs. This might be a known issue on these vehicles and the mechanics will know right away what the fix is… very respectfully- if you just go with the taller hitch you may never fix the problem on the Armada. I don’t know its history, but if it has 177K on it, then its no surprise that some things are going to need fixing. Anther thought just occurred to me, it is not air bags like I have on my truck to correct the ride height, on your Armada it is the actual suspension. If I am correct on that then I rescind my original approval of the taller hitch, and, you need to go and get that fixed-sorry sir.

Where are the relays located?

I know you don‘t want to spend the bread on it.. but, if you take it to the dealer then they can deal with figuring out which relay is bad, and you get a one year warranty I would assume on the repairs. This might be a known issue on these vehicles and the mechanics will know right away what the fix is… very respectfully- if you just go with the taller hitch you may never fix the problem on the Armada. I don’t know its history, but if it has 177K on it, then its no surprise that some things are going to need fixing. Anther thought just occurred to me, it is not air bags like I have on my truck to correct the ride height, on your Armada it is the actual suspension. If I am correct on that then I rescind my original approval of the taller hitch, and, you need to go and get that fixed-sorry sir.
Good point about the mechanics probably knowing right away what the problem is. I suppose it would be worth taking it to them to get a diagnosis. I was able to find out that I don’t have an air leak, so it’s either a relay, control unit (which I mistakenly called a relay earlier. This is the $800 piece), sensor, compressor or air shocks. Ha! And yes, they are air shocks. The relay is in the motor area right behind the battery. I tried testing it by watching how-to videos but I had no luck. I might just buy a new one to see if that’s the issue. That would be the cheapest test. The control unit is under the rear trim piece over the wheel.

Last edited:
Relays can be diagnosed by bypassing them...If you feed 12v directly to the compressor (say from jumper cables) does it pump? Maybe a manual switch on the compressor gets you there for towing? Wild thoughts.
I can give this a try. I’ll try anything. I would rather figure this out and fix on my own before spending labor fees. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a Lincoln Blackwood and you can't get parts for the air suspension, so I took it out and replaced it with leaf springs from an F150. I wonder if you could do the same with a titan?
I’m fine with this fix. Good idea. Didn’t know this could be an option.

If the air system holds air.
Just add into the existing line a tire fill fitting and gauge. then pump it up to where you need be for the correct ride height.
keep a little 12volt pump in the truck and fill and deflate as needed, manually.
(i have had this on about 4 vehicles)
if you want fancy (basic fancy) this is a simple system to install and maybe retrofit.
I have had this system on two different passenger vans.

Just add into the existing line a tire fill fitting and gauge. then pump it up to where you need be for the correct ride height.
keep a little 12volt pump in the truck and fill and deflate as needed, manually.
if you want fancy (basic fancy) this is a simple system to install and maybe retrofit.
I like these two options too. I believe this is what @Beachbummer was suggesting. I like option A. Sounds the least expensive. I’ll give this a try first. Thanks!

I ran air shocks on an S10 this way for years. Let me adjust up to carry more load and down when empty. Usually would just pump up at the gas station before I knew a load was coming.

I’m fine with this fix. Good idea. Didn’t know this could be an option.

I've got a Lexus LS430 that has air shocks that can be "downgraded" like this for $3k, total, when one of those air shocks finally craps out vs $3k PER shock for the OEM version, so this should definitely be doable for you. Tracking down the parts will be your hurdle.

They didn't sell aftermarket replacements until a few years ago, maybe check out some Armada forums for better, model-specific advice and workarounds. The Lexus forums pointed me to the Arnott replacements that I could use for my air shocks, and there was no other existing info to point to, so see what other owners have attempted.

I've got a Lexus LS430 that has air shocks that can be "downgraded" like this for $3k, total, when one of those air shocks finally craps out vs $3k PER shock for the OEM version, so this should definitely be doable for you. Tracking down the parts will be your hurdle.

They didn't sell aftermarket replacements until a few years ago, maybe check out some Armada forums for better, model-specific advice and workarounds. The Lexus forums pointed me to the Arnott replacements that I could use for my air shocks, and there was no other existing info to point to, so see what other owners have attempted.
Going to an Armada forum is a great suggestion. Thank you!! Going to try pumping air into manually today. Hoping that will do the trick. The boat tongue is so low that I can’t flip down the jack wheel.

Non air conversion would be my choice. Air suspension is great when working correctly but is known to be problematic on all makes, Nissan , Range Rover, Lincoln etc.. I have a base Armada with tow package, I added Bilstien rear shocks and air bags to rear to level it when towing.20220205_134507.jpg

Last edited:
Back