• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

trailer tires

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wrong you said 65MPH .. just trying to clarify i know they are cheap price but wanted to be sure ...

Yes, I was wrong about the speed rating being 65 on a L rated tire.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Rule of thumb on ST types of tires is 3 years from the date of manufacture, regardless of use. Regular automotive tires are 8 years from the date of manufacture.
OUCH, so with the goodyears you are paying ~600 mounted and balanced every 3 years? Can I get an 8 year car tired on the trailer instead or are they not rated for the load?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
OUCH, so with the goodyears you are paying ~600 mounted and balanced every 3 years? Can I get an 8 year car tired on the trailer instead or are they not rated for the load?
You’ll have to look around… that is what I did on my toy hauler with the Michelins.

Seems expensive until you have thousands of dollars in damage from a blow out from a cheap tire. I’m amazed that the NHSA has not done an investigation into those tires. The only tire that comes out of china that I know is good at Saluns.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree about cheap tired, that's why I'm looking at the Goodyear's. I don't mind the expense but I'd like to get closer to 8 years out of them considering I might do 5,000 miles in that stretch.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, so first off, radials are much much better than bias, no question about that. I sell trailers, and the difference in wear life is very noticeable between the two. So much so, that we don't even stock bias ply tires anymore, and haven't for nearly a decade. It's hard to put a timeline on lifespan, because UV damage makes a big difference. For instance, the same trailer parked in the same spot year after year, and if the sun beats down on the tires on one side, they will dry rot and crack much sooner than the other side that is in the shade. That said, my understanding is that the recommended replacement interval is more like 5-6 years. Basically none of my customers pay much attention to that, as most of the trailers we sell are used by businesses locally here, are run every day, and wear out tires much faster than that. With boat and RV's, things are a bit different. High dollar toys that can be damaged, should a tire blow out. With my boat trailer and RV, I'm keeping a close eye on the tires, and when I start to see any cracking, they're getting replaced. Another thing to keep in mind is how close to the weight limit they're running. With both of these items, there usually isn't a lot of "cushion", so don't press your luck, especially if you're looking to take a longer trip. As for chinese/imported vs american made, that's a muddy mess. Some of the chinese/imported tires are very comparable to the american made tires, but I do believe the GY Endurance are the best on the market. We sell the Westlake brand, which are made in Thailand (used to come out of china), and they've been very good for the money. All in all, if you want the best, get the GY Endurance. If you want the cheapest, that's fine also, but don't expect great lifespan or performance, and understand you're taking a risk, so own it if something bad happens. If you want a good middle of the road tire, there are plenty of options, but I'd probably steer clear of an Amazon purchase short of a known brand. Amazon is fast becoming little more than a portal for a lot of poor quality junk from china, just like ebay did. I've been seeing more and more accounts of chinese knockoff's being sold on Amazon, and branded as the real deal. Which is disappointing, as I love the convenience of Amazon.

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Went Goodyear last year, bought RV tire covers with spare cover as well since I trailer all year round for UV rays - $50 Amazon. Couldn't be happier. Radial isn't even a second thought for me.

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So maybe switch from ST to LT ( LIGHT TRUCK ) ?? For true endurance

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After blowing out three GY Marathons years ago, I swore I would never put another GY trailer tire on anything I own. I, instead, have been running Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. I have had great luck with them so far and have them on my camper, boat trailer, and utility trailer.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After blowing out three GY Marathons years ago, I swore I would never put another GY trailer tire on anything I own. I, instead, have been running Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. I have had great luck with them so far and have them on my camper, boat trailer, and utility trailer.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. But it is by far out of the norm. I would have almost bet you got into a bad batch of tires, or the tires were not properly sized for the load. As you just don't hear of stories like this about those tires very often in forums of boaters that trailer many more miles than we do.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. But it is by far out of the norm. I would have almost bet you got into a bad batch of tires, or the tires were not properly sized for the load. As you just don't hear of stories like this about those tires very often in forums of boaters that trailer many more miles than we do.
Stock tires on my last boat. Rated to carry the load with a buffer. I have heard plenty of praise of the newer Endurance line. However, I was not alone by any stretch with my luck on the Marathons. Had a friend that one failed on as well as one that failed on my brother's boat.

Last edited:

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As I understand it the Marathons were made in……. wait for it……. china

Jilly Ruby Jane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Maxxis M8008 ST, I would recommend these tires to anyone. The tires are great, these Maxxis tires seem to hold up much better than most other tyres. Good flat road contact and no "rounding"

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

bought these and highly recommend them ... towed 2500 miles this past summer and held up great .... you can buy 2 sets for spares for price of good years...( china made as well )

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a sore spot with me. Any info would be of help. Single Axle Trailer with an SX190 weight, 13" tires, not rotating them.

The tires are barely making it a year (approx 40-45 trips to the water (salt) each year with 60 miles round trip - 2400 miles).

Always inflated to the correct rating. Washed and hosed down after each dip in the water. Not speeding or traveling over boulder strewn roads.

Been through 3 Carlisle tires - Bias Ply and 3 Duro Bias. In a pinch I had to outfit the trailer Duro Radials back a month or so.

On the Bias tires I'm getting de-laminations on the sidewalls. I'm thinking the tires suck or my trailer is crabbing but the evidence of crabbing is not present until the bulge(s) and then the uneven tread appears and then its toast.

vlcsnap-2021-12-10-17h48m00s093.pngvlcsnap-2021-12-10-17h47m23s368.png20210921_115340.jpg

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
This is a sore spot with me. Any info would be of help. Single Axle Trailer with an SX190 weight, 13" tires, not rotating them.

The tires are barely making it a year (approx 40-45 trips to the water (salt) each year with 60 miles round trip - 2400 miles).

Always inflated to the correct rating. Washed and hosed down after each dip in the water. Not speeding or traveling over boulder strewn roads.

Been through 3 Carlisle tires - Bias Ply and 3 Duro Bias. In a pinch I had to outfit the trailer Duro Radials back a month or so.

On the Bias tires I'm getting de-laminations on the sidewalls. I'm thinking the tires suck or my trailer is crabbing but the evidence of crabbing is not present until the bulge(s) and then the uneven tread appears and then its toast.

View attachment 168193View attachment 168192View attachment 168194
Goodyear endurance radials for me. The ride is not and day from the Carlisle bias ply

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 168193View attachment 168192View attachment 168194

Delamination generally isn’t due to crabbing, that’s usually going to bring on uneven wear, and much faster wear. With someone’s help, you can determine if there’s an issue. Using a tape measure, go under the front coupler, and hook the tape measure over the front lip of the coupler. Tape will be upside down. Have someone hold it in place, then go back, and measure to either the inside or outside corner of the front of the tire. Do this on each side. Then take 2 straight edges, or boards (anything straight, and 3-4’ long) and lay them horizontally across the outside cheek of the tires (halfway up, of course), and measure the gap between the straight edges about a foot or two in front and behind the tires. That’ll tell you if you have toe issues. Camber is more difficult on trailers, and is generally able to be seen by eye if it’s off.
All this said, I’m guessing your issues are more due to crappy bias ply tires. Check to make sure things are not out of spec, and upgrade to Endurance Radials. And while you’re at it, see if you’ve got clearance to bump up to 14”, or in a perfect world, 15” rims and tires. But I doubt 15” will fit without rubbing. And keep the psi of the tires at max, or within 5ish below.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Goodyear endurance radials for me. The ride is not and day from the Carlisle bias ply
Amen, the photos above are not due to odd wear or care, those are flat out defects. Nothing would make me switch brands faster than defects that are not covered by warranty.

That being said, any brand can have a defect. At that time, the brand is only as good as who stands behind it when you take it back. As those are defects. The sidewall could have been a road hazard, but it looks like what you called it, a delaminating.

Goodyear endurance from a wholesale club, and never look back.