• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trolling motor mount thoughts.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been considering putting a trolling motor on my AR240 but I don’t have the skills or patience to try and do a front mount with all the angles and challenges. I was thinking of modifying a table leg with a plate to mount it to. Do you guys think the mount on the rear platform can handle the stress? Will it be difficult for the motor to do spot lock and maneuver the boat from the rear? Should I get a motor with a built in transduce? I want to be able to look for fish while driving the boat so I’m not sure that would work where as I’d have to pull the trolling motor to drive at speed. Thanks for any input or thoughts.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mount a chartplotter/firsh finder by itself. You will have a bit of challenge with spot lock and the boat may swing around. You shouldn't have trolling motor down and speed.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have been considering putting a trolling motor on my AR240 but I don’t have the skills or patience to try and do a front mount with all the angles and challenges. I was thinking of modifying a table leg with a plate to mount it to. Do you guys think the mount on the rear platform can handle the stress? Will it be difficult for the motor to do spot lock and maneuver the boat from the rear? Should I get a motor with a built in transduce? I want to be able to look for fish while driving the boat so I’m not sure that would work where as I’d have to pull the trolling motor to drive at speed. Thanks for any input or thoughts.
Ive seen quite a few fishing boats of all kinds, I think I’ve seen one or two with the trolling motors mounted on the rear, and those boats were outboard engine powered and the trolling motor was mounted to the transom. IMHO if you don’t have the patience or the skills to mount one up front then have it mounted by a professional up front.

When spot locked you want your bow into the wind or current. When trolling you want the trolling motor pulling the front of the boat, our boats have very little keel and any breeze that comes along is going to want to make the boat weather vane or crab, if the troller is in the rear a breeze is going to push the bow sideways and the troller will want to tow the boat backwards through the water after that, even without a breeze it’s going to be quite difficult to keep the boat going straight forward.

@HangOutdoors is correct, you should not have a trolling motor in the water at speed, get a quality MFD, Garmin, Humminbird, Lowarance etc.. with its own transducer mounted on the stern, you’ll use the chartplotter a lot, and having the down imaging will be very useful to see what’s under the boat when you’re not fishing. Speaking of chart plotters, the MFD you choose should have high definition under water maps of the lakes you are on, I don’t know about the others, but the Humminbird MFD’s have slots for Micro SD cards maps for different regions. I would imagine the other MFD manufacturers have something similar. Another great feature is being able to put a color overlay on a chart for prime fishing depths, and being able to show shallow water-on mine this overlay is red and I set it for five feet, this is a great feature when cruising to avoid shallow spots. The 2D sounder and side scan are great tools when fishing.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive seen quite a few fishing boats of all kinds, I think I’ve seen one or two with the trolling motors mounted on the rear, and those boats were outboard engine powered and the trolling motor was mounted to the transom. IMHO if you don’t have the patience or the skills to mount one up front then have it mounted by a professional up front.

When spot locked you want your bow into the wind or current. When trolling you want the trolling motor pulling the front of the boat, our boats have very little keel and any breeze that comes along is going to want to make the boat weather vane or crab, if the troller is in the rear a breeze is going to push the bow sideways and the troller will want to tow the boat backwards through the water after that, even without a breeze it’s going to be quite difficult to keep the boat going straight forward.

@HangOutdoors is correct, you should not have a trolling motor in the water at speed, get a quality MFD, Garmin, Humminbird, Lowarance etc.. with its own transducer mounted on the stern, you’ll use the chartplotter a lot, and having the down imaging will be very useful to see what’s under the boat when you’re not fishing. Speaking of chart plotters, the MFD you choose should have high definition under water maps of the lakes you are on, I don’t know about the others, but the Humminbird MFD’s have slots for Micro SD cards maps for different regions. I would imagine the other MFD manufacturers have something similar. Another great feature is being able to put a color overlay on a chart for prime fishing depths, and being able to show shallow water-on mine this overlay is red and I set it for five feet, this is a great feature when cruising to avoid shallow spots. The 2D sounder and side scan are great tools when fishing.
Thanks for the insight. The AR has angles and curves on the bow. After seeing what @HangOutdoors had to do to mount his I’m sure a dealer would charge a pretty penny just to make a spot to mount it to. Do you need two transducers to get side scan is it worth it?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the insight. The AR has angles and curves on the bow. After seeing what @HangOutdoors had to do to mount his I’m sure a dealer would charge a pretty penny just to make a spot to mount it to. Do you need two transducers to get side scan is it worth it?
No, 2D fish finder, down imaging and side scan as well as water temp are incorporated into one transducer. I think just about all fish finders these days come with all of those imaging tools.

I think the bow of any boat is going to have a lot of compounding angles and such.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'd have someone make you a custom bracket. This ordeal is going to set you back several grand before install Between mount, trolling motor, batteries, wiring, fuses, that is probably at least 4k. Depending how serious you want this to be, I'd consider switching to a FSH.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is not super hard. You can also go the route some have done and just mount it to your anchor locker. I wanted to use the anchor locker while TM was on, but if it is an option for you, could be the way to go. Just a mounting plate at the right angle and you should be good to go.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It is not super hard. You can also go the route some have done and just mount it to your anchor locker. I wanted to use the anchor locker while TM was on, but if it is an option for you, could be the way to go. Just a mounting plate at the right angle and you should be good to go.
how close to the rubrail do you need to get that puck mounted? Was looking at doing one this way and it just seems that the puck can’t get close enough on the newer models to mount it directly to the anchor locker lid because of the lip for the nav lights. I’d have to build something like Evilsports did and that’s less attractive because it leaves too much behind when not using the motor. I think yours is the best looking option for our boats but more work than I can handle now.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Putting a trolling motor on the anchor locker seems like a lot of force to be applied to a hatch that moves?

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd have someone make you a custom bracket. This ordeal is going to set you back several grand before install Between mount, trolling motor, batteries, wiring, fuses, that is probably at least 4k. Depending how serious you want this to be, I'd consider switching to a FSH.
I thought about that but the price shot up to much and the wife likes being comfy.

Last edited:

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That might be an option after watching the video by @Evil Sports. I keep my mantus anchor under the front seat.