• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water On / Motor Off!

dtrangkas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 252FSH and I turned on the port motor, then turned on the water. The hose had a kink and was not flowing enough water pressure, so the motor started to overheat (ran for about 5-6 min). I noticed smoke coming out and panicked so I mistakenly turned off the motor before turning off the water (although at very low trickle / pressure). I noticed within 7 seconds (played back outdoor camera). Then I immediately turned the motor back on. I then received the “check engine / consult dealer” message in the connext system. I then properly shutoff the water, rev’d the engine 3X to blow out any water, and turned off engine. Dealer suggested I let the motor cool off and try running it again this afternoon to see if I still get the same message. Engine also overheated on starboard motor (because of the kink), but water/motor shut-off was done correctly. I also got the consult dealer message due to overheating. Should I be concerned??? I guess when I try it again if I get the message I should. Looking for some reassurance! Haven’t yet officially launched her I’d hate to have already f*cked up the engines! I can’t believe these motors could be so sensitive.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
naaa there was not enough water getting into the engine so that did not hurt it however be careful about overheating the engines as it can cause cracked or warped heads .

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also don't rev the engine if it had water in there that could have been the kiss of death, water is NOT compressible all you had to do was look at the dip stick for water in the oil

dtrangkas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
naaa there was not enough water getting into the engine so that did not hurt it however be careful about overheating the engines as it can cause cracked or warped heads .
I might’ve ran the motors with some water trickle flowing that it was coming out the jet pumps, for about 3-4min. Thanks for the response! Hopefully I didn’t crack or warp the heads. Is there any way I can check for that?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It will run rough and a compression check will tell you if that happened and where so run it and also if it cracked or warped a head water will get in the oil as well during normal operation so you will feel the engine running rough you will see the top of the pistons shining with no carbon on them when you pull the plugs as water removes the carbon and the compression will be low on a cylinder or 2

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like you caught it in time. The motor ran at some point during those 7 seconds even though you recieved an overheat msg. You did not hydrolock the motor. If you are worried about it, pull the spark plugs and crank it over, look for water being expelled from the plug holes. But by your statement, the motor ran, it should be good to go.

Last edited:

dtrangkas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like you caught it in time. The motor ran at some point during those 7 seconds even though you recieved an overheat msg. You did not hydrolock the motor. If you are worried about it, pull the spark plugs and crank it over, look for water being expelled from the plug holes. But by your statement, the motor ran, it should be good to go.
Yeah that was my biggest worry. Running water while the motor was off. I know that’s bad, but I guess only 7 seconds and a low trickle, might’ve dodged a bullet. I am by no means mechanically inclined so “pulling the spark plugs and crank it over to look for water being expelled from the plug holes” is like a different language for me. Any YouTube videos I can watch to try to figure out? Again, I’ll start basic and just turn on engine and run water to see if I get any messages. Then if I do, I might continue to troubleshoot.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya, that kink in the hose restricting water flow may have kept water from filling the exhaust system and back flowing into a cylinder thru an open exhaust valve while the engine was not running for that period of time. As said above, Water does not compress like air and a fuel vapor mix so piston connecting rods can bend, seizing the motor.These engines can take some overheating as many of us have recieved a overheat warning after plugging up the jet pump with seaweed or in my case twice with milfoil.

Last edited:

dtrangkas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok I just retried the motors, and immediately before I cranked them I got check engine messages on both. I cleared the messages and cranked them anyways. They both sounded good and everything was perfect. I noticed a bit of smoke at first on the port engine jet pump but after a few seconds it stopped. Same message on stsrboard but proceeded to run for 3-4 min at idle. I open the engine compartment and the motors were warm but I can touch them comfortably. No water build up anywhere. Checked the oil sticks and did not observe any milky oil, it was black. Could it be a sensor that might need to be cleared? I’m not turning them on any more until I get the dealer to check it out. Also, should I be transparent with the dealer / tech on what occurred? Or should I play dumb. Let me know what you think

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How many hours on the boat? You may want to have the dealer change the oil. I would rather you said the oil was more an amber color. Black tells me it is old or got hot. Pictures help us see what you are talking about. Anyway, glad they started.

dtrangkas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
.3 hours!!! I haven’t even taken her out on the water. Just got her 2 weeks ago.

dtrangkas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also it was not really black, more transparent. Looked the same as when i saw it during the dealer walkthrough.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
First since no one has said it yet, ditch the cheap hose and get some good hose that won’t kink.

Your temperature sensor is there for a reason, to alert you to high temps. While running it that long without water is not a good thing, it sounds like you took immediate action as soon as you got the alarm, so chances are no damage.

I think Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC steering is right, you don’t have to worry that you got any water in the cylinders as you took immediate action once you figured out what was going on, and that was only 7 seconds, with a kinked hose.

I’m assuming that you had unkinked the hose and got water flowing before you shut it off properly and rapped the engine three times to remove water from the water lock?

From now on I bet you will stand there and watch your pilot outlets to make sure you have water running through the engine, and it does take a bit once you turn the water on. This is in the manual, even when I start my boat on the water I check to make sure water is coming out of the pilot outlets.

That check engine see the dealer thing happened to me one time when I sucked up some grass or something and the motor got hot while I was on the water. Once I cleared the debris I drove around the lake a few times, and during that time I shut everything down, turned off the batteries then back on and drove around some more and that alarm and check engine see your dealer was locked in. I docked the boat thinking I was going to have to make the journey to go see a dealer, feeling kinda the same you do, I just messed up one of my brand new engines!!!! After I got the trailer in the water I started the boat, the alarms were gone. That was probably 245 hours ago when I had 5 hours on the engines and no problems since. The rule of thumb is cycling the batteries on and off 5 times will clear the problem, perhaps a few more times. You can try this by just turning the batteries on, let it sit for a few minutes, then turn them off and let it sit for a few minutes, etc…

As far as the smoke goes, it was probably just some oil or other corrosion inhibitor that was burning off from the inside of the exhaust manifold or the water lock muffler.

From where I sit, what’s done is done, it totally sucks but you cannot change it, and taking it to the dealer isn’t going to change that. If you planned on a maiden voyage this weekend, then go and do it. Run your break in procedure as detailed in the manual and go have fun. I know you are super worried but if the engines are not running rough as Jeff stated then probably nothing damaged except your ego.

P.S.
If you are not mechanically inclined then stay away from the spark plugs.

dtrangkas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the insight. Yeah I left the batteries on all day so didn’t give the check engine message a chance to “reset”. I am going to try that tomorrow (turning on / off 5X, waiting 3 min in between resets. I’ll let you know if it works 🫡

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did it work? I'm having same problem. No code but check engine alarm is going off with nothing wrong. I've cycled engines several times.