• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wax for Saltwater

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi All
I am thinking about waxing my boat. The gel coat isn’t fading, but the boat just doesn’t look as “bright and shiny” as it was when I got it. Since I am in saltwater, I rinse the engine and fully wash it down with a boat wash/wax after every use.

Is it worth it for me to do a paste wax or just continue to use what I have been? I don’t mind the time to “wax on wax off” but feel it may be redundant if I’m washing the boat after watch use. Since I am in central Florida, the boat is able to be used year round, except for the week and a half of winter we get. If I was back home in Ohio in freshwater, a once a year paste wax would be fine.

Any thoughts on this?

I used the spray-on Turtle Wax ceramic coating (two coats) this year before we put it in service at the shore this season - held up really, really well. After each outing we spray down the outside with saltaway and then fresh water, still looks quite good. I would do it twice a year if in use all year.

Great. I will get some of that. Thanks for the info.

You need to ensure your gelcoat is protected or it will start to oxidize. I dont think there is a right vs wrong product for salt water vs fresh water. Waxes will only last a year so be sure to recoat every year to prevent the oxidation. Ceramics will last longer. I have used DIY Hyrdosilix Ceramic since I bought the boat almost 2 years ago. Its rated for only 6 months protection but its just a mater of spray on and wipe off so application is stupid easy for re-coats.

Thanks, I will look into this too. I am more skeptical on putting on a wax then washing the boat every week and the wax wash away.

FWIW this is the wax I’ve been using… super easy to apply on a clean boat, spray it on and wipe it off with a micro fiber towel. I’m in fresh water but this water is hard and I do get white water spots and they will wipe off easily with this wax on.

981EFBD2-BA1B-4414-B994-0DB79EB8946F.jpeg

All wisdom seems to point to the ceramic spray technology.

Thanks, I will look into this too. I am more skeptical on putting on a wax then washing the boat every week and the wax wash away.
I'm a fan of Meguiar's products and now use their Hybrid Ceramic Wax - easy spray on application. First time you apply, wash the vehicle or boat and rinse clean. While the surface is wet, spray the wax on lightly and rub it in gently with a soft cloth. Do it in sections about 4-5ft square so it doesn't dry while applying. Then get a fresh soft cloth and dry the area. It'll buff up while drying. After that base coat is on, simply wash the area, spray on the wax and rinse it off. It's that easy.

I do a base coat in the spring a second coat during the summer to ensure full protection. Easy and quick with good protection. And use it lightly - too much and it will streak and will need to be rinsed and wiped again. Applying it to both vehicles and the boat over the last two seasons, I still have half a bottle left.

Back