• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What's your favorite Bourbon?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can't ever seem to get my hands on any Blanton's unless I'm at a high end steak restaurant and they want a crap load of money for it.

I don't have any problem getting it . Can almost reach out and touch where it's distilled. Now paying for it , that's a different matter ! I can help you out if supply is the problem , but not offering to pay for it. lol

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know there are connoisseurs that pride themselves on their palette and appreciation of bourbon, but I've tried cheap and expensive and like the taste of Makers Mark. 4 Roses and Bulliet Rye are also in my cabinet.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Had a Salted Caramel Old Fashion last night. Really good (if you like that kinda stuff; mixing things up). Got the ingredients from the bartender.

2 oz favorite Bourbon, 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 1/2 oz salted caramel syrup, 2-3 dashed black walnut bitters and 2-3 dashes orange bitters. Combine all ingredients, stir for 20 seconds and pour over ice (cube/block).

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

gmac03

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
High West from Park City, UT. Best inexpensive bottle IMO.

Of course Blantons, Elijah Craig, Jefferson’s are all solid pricier picks as well.

For rye I’m a fan of Bullet Rye.

I really don’t discriminate.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think Blanton's might be one of the most overrated Bourbon's out there. I have a bottle, and I'll pour one every now and then, but I've noticed lately that it has a sweeter taste thats a little weird in my opinion. I really think there are some $30 price range Bourbons out there that are way better than Blanton's. Basil Hayden being the 1st. I picked up a bottle of Bird Dog that was around $21 the other day, and I was very surprised at how good it tasted. Also, don't buy into the whole aged thing.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
B-i-B, but Kirkland? Will need a report on that, please...

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet it’s good. Costco always selects quality stuff for private label. They don’t mess around.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, had to check for grass seed, figured I'd check the liquor section since it's not my "home" club, and I found it. Supposedly Costco has some partnership agreements with Barton for this, a Small Batch that already came out (and I missed it), and a Single Barrel (I think?) that's supposed to be released in the next few months, 120-proof.

My usual club is fairly new, and the liquor section doesn't get much more than the standard fare, so any time I am in another club, I will take a stroll through.

This club, for instance, has Johnny Walker Black in a 1.75, while my club only has it in 750 bottles. I'll be stopping by on the way back to grab one of those.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just picked up a bottle of this on the way to the lake house, probably going to sample it over the weekend.

View attachment 162341
I’ll be hunting for this over the weekend. I just killed off a bottle of Kirkland 12 year blended scotch that wasn’t bad and I’m down to nothing but a bottle of blue label that I’ll probably take 20 years to finish at the current rate.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll be hunting for this over the weekend. I just killed off a bottle of Kirkland 12 year blended scotch that wasn’t bad and I’m down to nothing but a bottle of blue label that I’ll probably take 20 years to finish at the current rate.
Remember, you may have to visit a different club. New Berlin does not have this, I fuel up @the Menomonee Falls store (which is where I found it), and I work near the Pewaukee location, which I will be checking next week to see what they have.

This was my last Sunday - Pic posted here (Out with the in-laws, in with the neighbors). The neighbors brother-in-law is visiting, and the neighbor told him to ask me about bourbons, as the BIL was questioning him about his bourbons he won.

I actually started them with a celebration drink. I bought this sampler specifically so I could try the Blue.

IMG_20210903_021035538.jpg

I already know I like the Black, so it was to sample the others. I find the Blue to be exceptionally smooth, but beyond overpriced. I do not agree with its pricing for my experience, and after the benefit of the sample size, I would never buy a bottle, but I can appreciate it as a very good scotch. To me, it is similar to @BigN8's view of Blanton's (which I share with him), decent, but overrated. Too many get hung up on the cache of certain things, and it blinds them to the difference in tastes of the individual. Many people are gaga over IPA's, whereas I hate them and gravitate towards Stouts, Bocks, etc.

The neighbor and I polished off the 18-year old a few months ago. I would still choose the Black out of the sampler, and I'm looking forward to trying the Gold. As to the Black, I prefer it to the Double Black, although I can find better deals on Double around my area for some reason.

We polished off my Blue, the neighbor's Old Dominick, and 3/4 of my Eagle Rare between the three of us. The BIL is more into my type of drinking, but the neighbor is coming around to learning to appreciate good whiskey, although cocktails are his preferred drink. I'm waiting to open the Black with him and introduce him to cocktails with that, then dial him back to having it on the rocks. He'll never get to having it neat, but to his credit, he'll be willing to try it that way if I'm having it (my preference).

This was my test for him - he picked the bottle, and he liked it enough that we finished it off that night. We will likely open the Rum-finished bottle this weekend as well.

IMG_20210903_021228558.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Remember, you may have to visit a different club. New Berlin does not have this, I fuel up @the Menomonee Falls store (which is where I found it), and I work near the Pewaukee location, which I will be checking next week to see what they have.

This was my last Sunday - Pic posted here (Out with the in-laws, in with the neighbors). The neighbors brother-in-law is visiting, and the neighbor told him to ask me about bourbons, as the BIL was questioning him about his bourbons he won.

I actually started them with a celebration drink. I bought this sampler specifically so I could try the Blue.

View attachment 162361

I already know I like the Black, so it was to sample the others. I find the Blue to be exceptionally smooth, but beyond overpriced. I do not agree with its pricing for my experience, and after the benefit of the sample size, I would never buy a bottle, but I can appreciate it as a very good scotch. To me, it is similar to @BigN8's view of Blanton's (which I share with him), decent, but overrated. Too many get hung up on the cache of certain things, and it blinds them to the difference in tastes of the individual. Many people are gaga over IPA's, whereas I hate them and gravitate towards Stouts, Bocks, etc.

The neighbor and I polished off the 18-year old a few months ago. I would still choose the Black out of the sampler, and I'm looking forward to trying the Gold. As to the Black, I prefer it to the Double Black, although I can find better deals on Double around my area for some reason.

We polished off my Blue, the neighbor's Old Dominick, and 3/4 of my Eagle Rare between the three of us. The BIL is more into my type of drinking, but the neighbor is coming around to learning to appreciate good whiskey, although cocktails are his preferred drink. I'm waiting to open the Black with him and introduce him to cocktails with that, then dial him back to having it on the rocks. He'll never get to having it neat, but to his credit, he'll be willing to try it that way if I'm having it (my preference).

This was my test for him - he picked the bottle, and he liked it enough that we finished it off that night. We will likely open the Rum-finished bottle this weekend as well.

View attachment 162362
Black label is what I usually buy the Blue was a gift from my coworkers for my 40th. I would not buy it either.

We’ll see if I can find that bourbon. There are a lot of Costcos here but I usually do a pass through the nice liquor and I’ve never seen it.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rain ruined our plans yesterday, so we were going into town for some shopping, wife wanted to stop at Costco for some Christmas gifts for the daughter-in-laws, so I popped the bottle open to have a quick nip and decide if I wanted a second bottle if they had it (they do, Grand Chute club, but going FAST!).

@tdonoughue It's VERY grassy in the bottle when first opened. Took a straight-up taste, hoo boy, it warms the insides! I got a LOT of cinnamon, some raisins and other hints of fruit, spices... reminds me very much of Bulleit, mainly because of the spiciness.

I'm not a fan of the whack in the face of cinnamon, but I can see this as a great mixing bourbon for cocktails. If you like Bulleit, you might want to give it a try. I also view Bulleit as a cocktail bourbon, as it's simply not my style for sipping, but I think Bulleit would be a more refined version of this, with its corresponding increase in price.

For the price of the Kirkland, I DID pick up another, to be used in Old Fashioned's. The price on Elijah Craig has increased at Costco from $19.99 to $23.99 for 750, so $23.99 a liter for cocktails has a place on my shelf. Buy it to try it, and buy two if Bulleit is your thing. If you end up not liking it, then you have a "fancy" bottle to serve to those you find don't appreciate the offerings you give them - no sense in giving them your GREAT stuff if they're satisfied with your versions of bottom-shelf

IMG_20210903_170714272.jpg

IMG_20210903_195640463.jpg

Last edited:

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I think Blanton's might be one of the most overrated Bourbon's out there. I have a bottle, and I'll pour one every now and then, but I've noticed lately that it has a sweeter taste thats a little weird in my opinion. I really think there are some $30 price range Bourbons out there that are way better than Blanton's. Basil Hayden being the 1st. I picked up a bottle of Bird Dog that was around $21 the other day, and I was very surprised at how good it tasted. Also, don't buy into the whole aged thing.
Yes, I purchased whistle pig 6 year rye. Not exactly sure what I expected. The price point was on par with entry level Bourbon $45-50. so was open to trying it out. I know with scotch for me it makes a difference.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Found it out here. It was the 2nd pallet of stuff right when you walk in the door of Costco and it was about half gone.
Certainly not a bourbon connoisseur but it tastes good to me. I usually drink 80-90 proof, most recently basil haydens, so I expected to taste a lot more alcohol but it’s quite smooth.

D7DA0B67-D7AD-4B5B-8266-3BE4ED7A1591.jpeg

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you like the eagle rare? My company recently did the grand opening of the Sazerac in New Orleans. Sazerac owns both eagle rare and 1792. I have tried the eagle rare
Eagle Rare is pretty darn good .. And smooth