• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Which boat would you choose?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay think tank, I would like your opinions on the following options (in no particular order). All boats appear to have been well kept and look very clean from the photos. I haven't seen any of them in person:

Option One:
2013 242 Limited S
180 Hours
New Cover
New Tires last year
New Speakers
Includes tubes, ropes, fenders etc
800 Mile drive
$44K

Option Two:
2011 AR 240
140 Hours
Cover
After Market Stereo System with tower speakers and amp
Thru Hull Battery Tender Plug
Gatlin Surf Wedge and Transom Fat Sac
Simrad GPS/Fish Finder
Keel Guard
Includes tubes, ropes, fenders etc
800 Mile drive
$41K

Option Three:
2014 AR240
130 Hours
No Extras
300 Mile Drive
$42K

What do you use the boat for?

Option 1. I like the tower better than the AR.

I would physically look at all 3 if possible, pictures can hide many things..

Dont some of those years fall under years that had timing chain failure issues?

Option 2 seems high for an 11 ar240.
I would do Option 1 for 42k or less

Option 2 seems high for an 11 ar240.
I would do Option 1 for 42k or less
So would I, but apparently they can't be bothered to answer a text.

Dont some of those years fall under years that had timing chain failure issues?
Not an issue. As discussed, any 1.8ltr could have a timing chain failure. But the highest concentration (which was still not enough to issue a recall) was 2015. For the right price on a boat, I would not let that deter me. But those listed above did not have a significant number of failures to be a concern.

@Scuba_ref , I’m not sure where you are located now or how far you are willing to travel but I was surprised to find these boats on Craig’s list this morning. I’m all but sure the $13k ad is a scam but it may be the diamond in the rough / garage find. 2010s had/have an oil cooler leak issue. IMG_2963.pngIMG_2962.png

Anyone see anything in this picture that I should be wary of? I know it is tough from a picture. This is a 2011 242 LS with about 160 hours. Going to look at this boat tomorrow.

1690831381158.png

That looks like a crack in the starboard valve cover, probably nothing but I would inquire about it.

Anyone see anything in this picture that I should be wary of? I know it is tough from a picture. This is a 2011 242 LS with about 160 hours. Going to look at this boat tomorrow.

View attachment 205331
The compartment looks good to me. Double check the oil coolers that the oil filters are attached to for missing bolt heads and/or leaks. Replacing a broken bolt with a stronger one is easy and cheap, replacing a warped oil cooler is expensive. Yamaha doesn’t just sell the parts, they sell the entire assembly. $750 each back in 2012.

the plastic engine cover is purely aesthetic, you could tape it from the bottom, leave it as is or remove it entirely and the boat will run the same.

Thanks guys. Not sure what the original oil cooler bolts look like, but I will be taking a close look at those.

Just make sure they are all there. On the original coolers one bolt had a different head than the rest. They were all the same after 2010. Of you are a bolt without a head, look a lot more closely around the perimeter for a leak between the front cover and the rest of the assembly. No leaks sound alike an easy replacement. Leaks could be a deal killer depending on if you wan to replace the cooler(s), yourself or have a mechanic do it.

Just found a 2018 AR 240

What are the common problems to look for on that boat? Oil cooler and timing chain are no longer the issue.

I read a lot of posts about problems with the connext displays starting in 2016.

Back