• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will this... tow this...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The more I research this the more confused I get. Looking to get the largest hull I can town with a 2009 Chevy Tahoe LS 4.8L.
As mentioned, the V8 Tahoe should be ok. I pull a 212s with a Kia Sorento and 5k tow limit, and boat weighs in at 4900. It's a V6 so it's really hard on gas in hilly areas, but she pulls fine and doesn't get hot. The biggest issue is actually the soft suspension which is a little sloppy - power isn't really a problem and the AWD yanks the boat out of the water easily. Sometimes the tow capacity limits are de-rated for insurance reasons rather than capability. I agree with the others - get the boat you want and upgrade the tow vehicle if needed. I'm betting the Tahoe will be fine though.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
As mentioned, the V8 Tahoe should be ok. I pull a 212s with a Kia Sorento and 5k tow limit, and boat weighs in at 4900. It's a V6 so it's really hard on gas in hilly areas, but she pulls fine and doesn't get hot. The biggest issue is actually the soft suspension which is a little sloppy - power isn't really a problem and the AWD yanks the boat out of the water easily. Sometimes the tow capacity limits are de-rated for insurance reasons rather than capability. I agree with the others - get the boat you want and upgrade the tow vehicle if needed. I'm betting the Tahoe will be fine though.
Just remember towing limits are based on the ability of the towing vehicle to stop the towing vehicle , not the pulling ability. If you have an accident and are over limits, you are at fault. It’s not always about capability but liability.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just remember towing limits are based on the ability of the towing vehicle to stop the towing vehicle , not the pulling ability. If you have an accident and are over limits, you are at fault. It’s not always about capability but liability.
I hear this all the time but have yet to see a real world example. If I am stopped and some rear ends me, no matter the weight I am not at fault.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Off topic, but tell me more about Lake Blue Ridge! We have yet to venture out of Lanier
Lake Blue Ridge is great. It's one of the cleanest lakes in the state. Not a ton of traffic. Good marina right out of Blue Ridge that serves up some insane Bloody Mary's.

We'd move there in an instant if housing prices up around the lake were a bit more in our range.

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Lake Blue Ridge is great. It's one of the cleanest lakes in the state. Not a ton of traffic. Good marina right out of Blue Ridge that serves up some insane Bloody Mary's.

We'd move there in an instant if housing prices up around the lake were a bit more in our range.
We are hoping to a buy a property to AirBnB there at the end of next year. Haven't been to the lake yet though, that is promising.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are hoping to a buy a property to AirBnB there at the end of next year. Haven't been to the lake yet though, that is promising.
We're looking to do the same thing. Shooting for a cabin to rent out. Lake front on Blue Ridge is very out of our range. But, the surrounding area there's a lot of possibilities. We started going up there about 10 years ago, a few years after having moved to Georgia. So far, when we 'get a cabin' for the week/weekend we go through a company called Morning Breeze Cabin Rental (LINK). They have an amazing inventory to choose from. There are others, that's just the first one we went with and haven't had a reason to go elsewhere. Once we find one that we'd like to put on the rental circuit, it will most likely be with Morning Breeze.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@djetok 2 2019 CanAm HD 10’s one is a Max and the listed dry weights are 2055 and 1850 plus a roughly 2k trailer (+/-) and I figure the winches and crap I keep in them from the straps, come along, air compressor, spare tires, high lift jacks, chainsaws, and the list continues… gets me another 5-600 pounds on the very safe side.
Yeah did not see the sxs's , in your post. I was like wow that is a heavy sxs. My next question was how many speakers and batteries you got.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yeah did not see the sxs's , in your post. I was like wow that is a heavy sxs. My next question was how many speakers and batteries you got.
Ummm, too many according to my wife…. We do some trail riding but not as much as we should. These are mostly used for hunting and work on our farms getting ready for hunting. More work trucks than anything else. I have also mostly gone with portable Bluetooth equipment instead of built in systems.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think you're confusing tow with brake capacity? Towing capacity is based on SAE J2807 guidelines and the ability of the tow vehicle to pull a specified weight uphill at a specific grade for a specific length. Typically if your vehicle is rated to pull 5k it can pull 5k uphill without overheating. Braking capacity is typically irrelevant as any trailer over 3k should have brakes. My trailer stops very well and I have no issue with control or stopping distances under hard braking.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Then you'd be drunk all the time on those cocktails...stick to trailering instead.
:D

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m surprised at the weight of the 212. I have a 210 FSH which lists a dry weight of just over 3000 lbs. 210 FSH Sport

I tow mine with a Ford Explorer which has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. My Explorer has the factory tow package and does a great job. When I am loaded up for a camping trip in the boat it’s takes some careful planning not to load the boat too bow heavy. I’ve always been really impressed with my setup’s performance at the ramp. It gets up the ramp and out of the water like a champ.

I also a added a set of these, which really help with the rear sagging.

My setup works. I had the vehicle before the boat. When I replace my explorer I’m definitely going to look into something with a bit more capacity. I think it would be good to have just a little bit more capability, especially for those longer trips and more gear.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also a added a set of these, which really help with the rear sagging.
Airlift makes some great products.

I'm on my second vehicle with load levelling air suspension. The TBSS had just a set of airbags in the rear and would level itself. The Audi is a whole other level with ride height adjustment from the cabin to 4 different heights, as well as automatic load balancing to all 4 corners, and adjustable rate dampers. I'm sure it's going to cot 2.5 arms and 3 legs to replace when it breaks, but while it's working it's amazing. Clearance, capacity, and handling are non-issues regardless of where I'm at or what I'm doing.

I like the air suspension so much I'll be hard pressed to retrofit it to any future vehicles I buy.

Of course I have my eyes on a Rivian as my next vehicle, and it comes with all the same bells and whistles on the suspension as my current Audi, plus hydraulic roll stabilization. From the reviews I've read, I think they've really nailed the suspension setup for a utility vehicle.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Then you'd be drunk all the time on those cocktails...stick to trailering instead.
:D
Well, there's that too. :cool:

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
THIS! Its not about what you can pull but what you can stop! I had someone towing a boat with a jeep rear end my boat and truck because they were oveweight and couldn't stop. A jeep (cj5) can't stop a boat, a jeep can barely stop a jeep.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
THIS! Its not about what you can pull but what you can stop! I had someone towing a boat with a jeep rear end my boat and truck because they were oveweight and couldn't stop. A jeep (cj5) can't stop a boat, a jeep can barely stop a jeep.
cybunch,

Your interaction with the CJ5 sounds like it absolutely sucked. Did they even act like they had a clue as to the bigger picture that was going on?

Rest assured I'm not looking to put my self in that category of driver. The brakes that came stock on our Tahoe are the same ones that are on the model that will tow 8k+. That, and right after getting it, I upgraded the brakes (pads, calipers, rotors) that came with the Tahoe to aftermarket ones designed for a much higher work load. This vehicle was the first we've owned that could be considered 'full size' and I wanted to make sure my wife would be able to stop adequately. Her other vehicle, her comfort zone, is a Toyota Corolla.

I could change out the rear end gearing and achieve the needed capacity increase based off of what Chevy lists for this model with a different rear end from that year ... that and the addition of a transmission cooler I'd be two steps up and well over capacity on that equipment vs. capacity chart from Chevy.

We've made some performance upgrades to this Tahoe. So, it's got a touch more power than stock. Enough to handle the weight increase I believe.

Knowing that re-gearing the rear end will put things under capacity... I'm going to, with the performance upgrades, and the short flat hauls, give it a shot as it is now and keep an eye on the transmission temps. If needed I can address temp with a cooler, and power with a 3.73 rear end.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@King you want an external cooler on that transmission even as a daily driver without towing duties. The 4L60E does NOT like to be overheated. Anything over 210-220degF and you start degrading fluid properties. The long you stay or the higher you go, the more often you need to change that fluid.

Any number of places will sell you a kit to add the trans cooler for a few hundred bucks or less and it's cheap insurance. Likewise moving to a cast aluminum pan with a drain plug will.also help with temps and allow super easy fluid changes.

If your model has the Tow/Haul mode; use it. It locks the torque converter above 35moh, and changes shift points to protect the clutches and keep temps down. Testing my my '03 Yukon showed about a 40-50deg decrease in trans temp by using Tow/Haul mode.

#1 killer of that transmission is a 4->2 downshift. The trans has to simultaneously stop two clutches. Under heavy load you'll run the risk of breaking physical parts. ALWAYS pull the trans down to 3rd, let that shift happen, then proceed to 2nd if needed. Don't just stand on the gas on the expressway from 4th and let it drop to second on its own.

I've owned that same transmission behind everything from a 98hp 2.2L 4cyl in an S10, to a 425hp 6.0L V8 in my TBSS, couple of 5.3's, and a 4.3 as well. Also helped convert several Sy/Ty's to a 4L60E( and 4L80E) from the old 700R4. Keep them cool, and be predictable with the shifting and they'll live for years. Beat on them or overheat them and they'll last for days.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@King you want an external cooler on that transmission even as a daily driver without towing duties. The 4L60E does NOT like to be overheated. Anything over 210-220degF and you start degrading fluid properties. The long you stay or the higher you go, the more often you need to change that fluid.

Any number of places will sell you a kit to add the trans cooler for a few hundred bucks or less and it's cheap insurance. Likewise moving to a cast aluminum pan with a drain plug will.also help with temps and allow super easy fluid changes.

If your model has the Tow/Haul mode; use it. It locks the torque converter above 35moh, and changes shift points to protect the clutches and keep temps down. Testing my my '03 Yukon showed about a 40-50deg decrease in trans temp by using Tow/Haul mode.

#1 killer of that transmission is a 4->2 downshift. The trans has to simultaneously stop two clutches. Under heavy load you'll run the risk of breaking physical parts. ALWAYS pull the trans down to 3rd, let that shift happen, then proceed to 2nd if needed. Don't just stand on the gas on the expressway from 4th and let it drop to second on its own.

I've owned that same transmission behind everything from a 98hp 2.2L 4cyl in an S10, to a 425hp 6.0L V8 in my TBSS, couple of 5.3's, and a 4.3 as well. Also helped convert several Sy/Ty's to a 4L60E( and 4L80E) from the old 700R4. Keep them cool, and be predictable with the shifting and they'll live for years. Beat on them or overheat them and they'll last for days.
Thank you for the advice.

Yeah, I think you're right... Going for a cooler before the boat arrives. Really like the idea of the new pan.

While working this out and thinking things over, I've been watching the temp to get a base line. Stop-and-Go traffic in and around Atlanta has produced 150F to 175F so far. Not sure if that's normal or not... just what I've seen so far.