• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Winterization threads (OMFG)

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So since you all missed the winterization threads from last fall, I will start this off in early August. HA, got your attention.

I'm a thrifty sort of guy. Not cheap, I love expensive stuff. But I shop the crap out of commodity type items. (I have that sort of keyboard time on hand) For those of us that change our own oil. And those of us who use the Yamalube oil change kits. I usually shop these in the off season, as someone is selling the Yamaha Snowmobile kits cheap in the off season, same goes for the boat kits. And the kits Polaris sells for my Polaris General.

That being said, I leave a search on Ebay and the kit on my Amazon list in case the price changes. There is nobody out there that can beat jetboatpilot.com on price for these kits for our boats/waverunners. And that is including shipping. And it gives me a reason to shop other misc items like Seadek pads and other crap I really do not need at this time. Sorry Will, I had really wanted a naked feet in Chocolate over black, but not offered anymore.

So for those of you asking in the 100,000,000,000 oil and winterization threads what to use. Just stop shopping, punch in your model at JBP and buy the damn kit. I mean come on, $28/kit for the MR1, and under $50/kit for the 1.8ltr!

On to your regularly scheduled oil and winterization threads. I would drop more key words to get those searching for oil changes, but we all know that those that do not do their winterization, have no idea there is a search function. (smile)

I source the MR-1 oil change kits from my local yamaha dealer. It’s the only business I give them. :)

I come out a few dollars cheaper without shipping and snagged a bottle of old forester on the way home from a different part of town.?

I do love JB Pilot and their products. Top notch.

I don’t winterize but I arrived at the same conclusion this summer when I needed an oil change.

Even if JBP wasn’t the cheapest it’s so much easier than verifying I’m getting the right stuff from random eBay/Amazon sellers. I did have to order some extra stuff to get free shipping but that’s just a bonus!

7/11 sells oil.

I source the MR-1 oil change kits from my local yamaha dealer. It’s the only business I give them. :)

I come out a few dollars cheaper without shipping and snagged a bottle of old forester on the way home from a different part of town.?

I do love JB Pilot and their products. Top notch.
100% agree. Always support the local dealer whenever possible

Just changed my oil after 7 yrs. Almost zero time on the boat. I did the first change after 10hrs. First change was with oil and filter I got from the local auto place. Second change was Yamaha kit. Friend of mine said to go synthetic since I don't run the boat that much. I just don't see the need for seasonal oil changes, on my boat, we may do 15hrs a year and last year none. Personal preference, I get it. I may go the synthetic route since I don't change the oil that much. Potato, Potatoe.

I'm all for ease of ordering, but now that I've done it a few times and have the numbers of what I need, I can save $10/engine (TR-1) over JBP by skipping the kit and buying the stuff separately.

If I go with a Wix filter, that saves me another $10, for a total of $20 less.

I get your point though, and for those who just want the ease of an all-in-one kit, Will's price is better even with shipping factored in for a TR-1 ($40/kit, shipped vs $45/kit from Amazon).

Another reminder that the days are getting shorter that I didn’t need LOL!

I had originally gone with the Yamaha kits, I have since switched over to Amsoil and their filters. The TR-1 engines use the same oil filters as a myriad of other Yamaha vehicles so there are choices out there for oil filters. @drewkaree mentioned Wix filters which are also top notch filters. I don’t change the oil unless it is close to change interval.

My boat lives in a heated shop during the winter… so my winterization consists of adding fuel stabilizer on the outings leading up to the winter pause, blowing out the water locks ( I do that after each outing), leaving the battery charger plugged in, and parking in the shop. When I get nicer winter days, above freezing, I pull the boat out and run the engines on the hose for 10 mins each, ideally once a month.

I'm all for ease of ordering, but now that I've done it a few times and have the numbers of what I need, I can save $10/engine (TR-1) over JBP by skipping the kit and buying the stuff separately.

If I go with a Wix filter, that saves me another $10, for a total of $20 less.

I get your point though, and for those who just want the ease of an all-in-one kit, Will's price is better even with shipping factored in for a TR-1 ($40/kit, shipped vs $45/kit from Amazon).

I'm with you on this, after running a couple kits, I am finding the extra bottles of oil. I can actually do a full oil change soon, by just buying the filters. Oil changes are truly not the rocket science some make it out to be, that's for sure. There are very few wrong answers in this highly opinionated topic in all motorsports forums.

Just imagine the number of threads that will start with all the first time boat owners added over the last 18 months.

100% agree. Always support the local dealer whenever possible
This is my excuse to go in and walk around the dealership and look at motorcycles, side-by-sides, ATV's, and of course walk around on any boats in stock. While I agree the JBP kits are great, I'm not passing up an excuse to go wander around the dealership, especially when the boys/wife rarely want to go with me. :D :D

This is my excuse to go in and walk around the dealership and look at motorcycles, side-by-sides, ATV's, and of course walk around on any boats in stock. While I agree the JBP kits are great, I'm not passing up an excuse to go wander around the dealership, especially when the boys/wife rarely want to go with me. :D :D
I wish I had a dealer close to me. It's like I'm scaring all my favorite brands away.

SeaDoo boats - gone
Yamaha boats - gone (in our area)
Yamaha Sleds - gone (at least the good Japanese ones)
Buell Motorcycles - gone (and no, the new Buell is not the same, and never will be since Harley killed them off)

Care to recommend something to disappear from North Central MN?

I wish I had a dealer close to me. It's like I'm scaring all my favorite brands away.

SeaDoo boats - gone
Yamaha boats - gone (in our area)
Yamaha Sleds - gone (at least the good Japanese ones)
Buell Motorcycles - gone (and no, the new Buell is not the same, and never will be since Harley killed them off)

Care to recommend something to disappear from North Central MN?
Aaron Rogers?

Back