• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 2020 SX210 - Starboard Engine Won’t Start

Rogandanny

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,
I am having some sort of electrical issue with my 2020 Yamaha SX210 related to the starboard motor. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to vertical position (which powers up the connect screen/electronics), there is no response/screen does not turn on. When the key is fully turned the starboard motor does not turn over whatsoever.
The starter relay is good, and there is power going from the engine to the relay. I was able to Hotwire the engine and it kicks on immediately so it is not an issue with the engine.
It seems like it has something to do with the ignition not sending any signal to the electrical systems? Has anyone had a similar issue to this or any possible causes/ solutions? Thanks a lot

Rogandanny

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, the port ignition immediately turns on the electronics/ connect screen when turned to the first click, and starts the engine right up on the second click. No issues at all

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,
I am having some sort of electrical issue with my 2020 Yamaha SX210 related to the starboard motor. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to vertical position (which powers up the connect screen/electronics), there is no response/screen does not turn on. When the key is fully turned the starboard motor does not turn over whatsoever.
The starter relay is good, and there is power going from the engine to the relay. I was able to Hotwire the engine and it kicks on immediately so it is not an issue with the engine.
It seems like it has something to do with the ignition not sending any signal to the electrical systems? Has anyone had a similar issue to this or any possible causes/ solutions? Thanks a lot
You might want to look at the cleanout hatch and make sure the switches are both at the same height. On the older boats it will prevent the motor from being started.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might want to look at the cleanout hatch and make sure the switches are both at the same height. On the older boats it will prevent the motor from being started.
Wouldn’t the connext screen still boot up if it was that switch?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Rogandanny

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As @Weeb mentioned after some diagnosing it has been concluded the starboard key switch went bad. There is 12V power feeding it from the battery but neither the wire to the starter relay or auxiliary (connect) is receiving any power after the key is turned. Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

Unfortunately of course this part is backordered...

Follow up question: It seems one wire (white) coming from the key switch sends power to the starter relay coil, and the other is an auxiliary power (yellow) for electronics (connect screen, etc.). I'm currently receiving no power to both of these wires past the starboard key switch The port key switch also has both of these wires and is able to power up the electronics as well as the motor. I know this may be frowned upon by this community, but for curiosity reasons only, if I was to hot wire the starboard engine (bypassing the white wire), does anyone anticipate any electrical issues that I would encounter with the boat is running as the starboard auxiliary wire (yellow) is not sending power to any electronics? Is having power to the electronics going from both the port and starboard key switches a redundancy?

Thanks again for any input.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might be able to jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver to start the engine. The other engine will turn on the connext. I know it’s a pain in the azz. They sell jumper buttons for cars that just clip on either side of the solenoid

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As @Weeb mentioned after some diagnosing it has been concluded the starboard key switch went bad. There is 12V power feeding it from the battery but neither the wire to the starter relay or auxiliary (connect) is receiving any power after the key is turned. Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

Unfortunately of course this part is backordered...

Follow up question: It seems one wire (white) coming from the key switch sends power to the starter relay coil, and the other is an auxiliary power (yellow) for electronics (connect screen, etc.). I'm currently receiving no power to both of these wires past the starboard key switch The port key switch also has both of these wires and is able to power up the electronics as well as the motor. I know this may be frowned upon by this community, but for curiosity reasons only, if I was to hot wire the starboard engine (bypassing the white wire), does anyone anticipate any electrical issues that I would encounter with the boat is running as the starboard auxiliary wire (yellow) is not sending power to any electronics? Is having power to the electronics going from both the port and starboard key switches a redundancy?

Thanks again for any input.
You’d need to use a switch to handle the aux duties Yellow wire, and as @Weeb states get a momentary button to engage the starter. I used to have a momentary button as a starter bypass on my 4x4 mini truck to use the starter to move it, out of water if necessary, as it had a depress the clutch permissive in the starter ckt.

There should not be any issues as long as you wire and secure the switches properly, if possible make the oem /factory connections to the oem ignition switch work with you temporary switches so that once the oem switch comes in it will be a matter of plug and play. Just make sure you can turn the starboard motor off like the port one. I probably don’t need to ask this or mention it, make sure that the starboard motor will shut off when you pull the safety lanyard.

I for one would not frown on this as you cannot get the part, and most importantly it will get you out on the water for the foreseeable future.

Glad you got it sorted out! Now go get those switches and get to boating!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m sure Yamaha uses off the shelf switches. Somebody will have something in stock that’ll get you up and running again. Unfortunately if you want to have both switches keyed alike, you might need to get something that’s similar enough to swap out the key cylinder.