• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 27'?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok so the real question is.....will it have bow thrusters? May need it to navigate such a beast around a tight marina. Not sure fins would be enough to help swing the front over quick enough. 3' doesn't seem like a lot vs an AR240 but I bet she will handle completely different than anything else they've put out. Then again if it is 8'6" beam maybe the "cigar" shape wouldn't be too bad to swing around as opposed to a wider beam. I'd never get to try one though as 2 out of the 3 lakes I frequent this would be a no-go. One lake won't allow "sport boats" over 24' while another won't allow anything over 26' of it can also reach top speeds of 60 mph.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why do people see Supercharger and instantly think it's a friggin time bomb on here?
Because it can be. Name one boat/motor commercial fisherman use with a supercharger?
Superchargers are great for performance. Not great for reliability. Terrible for fuel economy.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so the real question is.....will it have bow thrusters? May need it to navigate such a beast around a tight marina. Not sure fins would be enough to help swing the front over quick enough. 3' doesn't seem like a lot vs an AR240 but I bet she will handle completely different than anything else they've put out. Then again if it is 8'6" beam maybe the "cigar" shape wouldn't be too bad to swing around as opposed to a wider beam. I'd never get to try one though as 2 out of the 3 lakes I frequent this would be a no-go. One lake won't allow "sport boats" over 24' while another won't allow anything over 26' of it can also reach top speeds of 60 mph.
Lol bow thrusters was the first thing I looked for as well but the hull did not have the cut out for them. The boat looked almost exactly like a 240 just longer and a hard top tower like this one on the Slx 310.

8E0104C0-83ED-471D-BB65-286ADF62B6F6.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Because it can be. Name one boat/motor commercial fisherman use with a supercharger?
Superchargers are great for performance. Not great for reliability. Terrible for fuel economy.

--
Why commercial only lol? These jet boats aren't commercial :D. There are plenty of supercharged boats, aircraft, cars, trains... you name it that use forced induction. In fact many large vessels use multiple large diesel engines with superchargers and/or multiple turbochargers (yes as in BOTH forced induction methods on ONE engine) to get them moving. I'm not sure if you've watched Deadliest Catch on the Discovery channel before when they go down inside the massive engine room but you can see and hear those big engines running. Many of them have like 3-4 turbos sometimes more depending on size of ship. All that size and weight needs power to move and there's not always a tugboat to help. Ever been at the coast and hear one of those large sport fishing yachts or vessels get on it? Most of them have large diesels with forced induction. Here you go https://www.marlinmag.com/top-diesel-fishing-boat-engines

You can certainly hear the boost in these videos....

Listen close at :43 seconds when the big Viking lays into it...

Forced induction is not the devil or some strange voodoo science. Materials, machining capabilities and tolerances have all come a lonnnnng ways. They're not going to grenade by simply looking at a turbo or supercharger. Just look at all the cars and trucks coming factory equipped with turbos, sometimes multiple, these days. If they were so taboo manufacturer's would steer clear of them.

Part of my work revolves around designing fire suppression systems on large mining machines. I'm talking friggin' YUGE massive machines. Most vehicles besides the new, cutting-edge synchronous electronic mining vehicles have large diesels with multiple turbos. They need all the power and torque they can get to move payload. We specifically design the system so that the turbos are protected with the suppression nozzles. You may be surprised just how many vehicles on land, sea and air use forced induction.
5649d63e336fe0362c976b2a484bf763.jpg

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really don't think bow-thrusters would be absolutely necessary. Would they be a nice feature to have? Certainly would be! Our 40' Sea Ray with a 13' beam doesn't have them and I don't think it needs them. But it's an inboard prop boat with a large bite in the water with large props. A whole different animal! A couple of years ago a buddy of mine had a Chapperal (sp) with a single I/O 496 that was 28' with a 9' beam and no bow-thruster. They're a nice luxury, but not all boats need them and most don't.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ugh, we are having a supercharger debate in 2018/19? When factories are turbo/super chargering so many models?
When rotax has seen their own flaws and concerns and keeps upgrading to make people happier?
When yamaha has thousands of skis that have tested the waters before the boats?
When the boats in all reality get abused far less than the skis?
I am more interested in if they gave it a bit more deadrise and/or entry angle.
Bigger boat for bigger water.
If i had the money i would be on the list already. Along with trim tabs.
But this boat isn't going to be for the puddles and rivers.
I don't even know if my f150 would tow it our usual 45 minutes depending on how they have constructed it etc.
But for our trips to lake Michigan, we keep wanting to push further and going up the coast to visit friends and family in Michigan. And north of Chicago, and even some Wisconsin.
Supercharged or not, a bigger range would be awesome.
Excited to see pictures and get the first few reviews here!

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A lot of super chargers and turbos are now OEM on cars and trucks not because they are necessarily the best way to make HP but because many countries have taxes on engine displacement.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I really don't think bow-thrusters would be absolutely necessary. Would they be a nice feature to have? Certainly would be! Our 40' Sea Ray with a 13' beam doesn't have them and I don't think it needs them. But it's an inboard prop boat with a large bite in the water with large props. A whole different animal! A couple of years ago a buddy of mine had a Chapperal (sp) with a single I/O 496 that was 28' with a 9' beam and no bow-thruster. They're a nice luxury, but not all boats need them and most don't.
Yea I think it's a bit hard to compare a large I/O that has large running gear down below to help grab and bite into the water but as you know jets don't have that advantage. These days even some of the higher end wakeboats are coming with optional stern thrusters simply because they suffer from low speed handling just like we do because the rudder has to have water moving past it in order to be effective. Combined with their prop shaft rotation direction, they often can only reverse to one side and not the other.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Superchargers mean more fuel used, and pre.ium fuel used. My marina doesn't even sell premium gas, regular only. I would rather them make the engines larger than supercharge them personally. If the engines went up to 2.4L or something I would have no concerns with that. As long as it takes regular gas, lol.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Superchargers mean more fuel used, and pre.ium fuel used. My marina doesn't even sell premium gas, regular only. I would rather them make the engines larger than supercharge them personally. If the engines went up to 2.4L or something I would have no concerns with that. As long as it takes regular gas, lol.
It wasn't until the SVHO replaced the SHO that you needed to run premium. The tune is different and the boost is higher on the SVHO. My SHO only requires regular thankfully and I use pump gas at the local store + Stabil since marina prices are stupidly high. That being said I'd love to see a large 4 cylinder application in these boats with nice torque but it's not easy for these manufacturers to whip out a new engine in relatively short lifespan from its predecessor. They have to make money back on tooling and development and then spend some of that on new tooling and development for the next engine, which was a smaller TR-1 to replace the outgoing MR1 engine. Yamaha's bread and butter marine market is their waverunners and it would be quite the big craft to stuff a 2.4L in there but hey I'm down and would love to see it lol. The PWC's are already the size of couches so they might as well make them even larger to hold a big block lol.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Why not 3 NA engines instead of the 2 supercharged ones?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Likely cost. These engines aren't cheap! Not to mention I don't think you'd be able to fit 3 engines across the boat and still have storage to the sides unless you increase the beam considerably which brings its own share of issues.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do we know they will be jets? They could make, dare i say it, a prop boat.:eek:
Maybe someday but this one is twin supercharged jets. I did not get fuel capacity on the boat but I sure hope it’s 150 gallons.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not 3 NA engines instead of the 2 supercharged ones?
That was floated for a while but the one coming out is a SC twin.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For the mere reason that yamaha is a mass market high volume boat manufacturer I would bet it is 8’6” beam and quite probably half ton towable with todays half tons which have awesome tow ratings. That plus what @robert843 saw was likely a near final or final version with the amount of time it takes to develop and test prior to full blown manufacturing. Will be interesting to see performance.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, with the FRP or nanocell hull it will not be super heavy. The way they will likely get to the "27ft" may also be by stretching the swim deck and bow which remains to be seen. A 24' Yamaha hull is already more like a traditional transom 21-22fter. Which is good and bad, lol.

Those two SC SVHOs sucking fuel is not going to be pretty though.

--

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yamaha isn't going to jump from 24' straight to 27', at least not in a jet boat IMHO. Where is the market asking for such a thing? I just don't see it. They've got plenty they could do to make their current products better designed with more attention to quality assurance before thinking of creating a new boat.

In Japan Yamaha hides/encloses their outboards so you still get a big swim deck.

View attachment 74266 View attachment 74267
Sweet mother of God, that's awesome.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So any takers on top speed of this thing? I'm gonna go with 58 mph. Scarabs hit 60+ but they also have a bit more hp than twin SVHO's will.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So any takers on top speed of this thing? I'm gonna go with 58 mph. Scarabs hit 60+ but they also have a bit more hp than twin SVHO's will.
I will go with 52 MPH it is bigger and heavier then the 25 ft Scarab.