• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Boats are Self Bailing - If you get water in the boat do not panic

We beach a lot here so there is always sand after each outing but I get your point. I was thinking of a fine mesh but just something to keep the large object out would work well.

All that would probably be necessary is a cross over the inlet, or maybe even just one bar, just enough to keep objects that won’t pas through from entering.

I flush my deck drains every few months. Put the water hose in the intake on the deck, and then form a gasket with a rag. If you see water freely flowing out the the through hull, all is well.

I have seen three Yamahas that were swamped to above the engine intakes with a crew in the boat. None were at any risk of sinking. Two had stuffed their bows then taken multiple waves into the boat on a Bimini crossing. The third blew a cleanout plug on a lake when my family was on board for a prepurchase test drive.

I have seen other similar situations on video.

In each instance the boat continued to have some freeboard. There was not risk of sinking.

There was that on video of I think a Yamaha with a minnow swimming in it after a sub move. Whole boat was full of water but it did not sink. I’d never do it to my own boat because electrical stuff doesn’t like to get wet but I’ll admit it was impressive way to catch a fish, even if it was a lil minnow :D

I believe that @OperationROL has a history of sub moves.
I believe it's a safety requirement that the boats will not sink from swamping, since 1971 when a boat safety law was passed in the US. If you were to split open the hull, that would be different. But an intact hull is required to remain afloat with the max capacity of weight aboard.

I believe it's a safety requirement that the boats will not sink from swamping, since 1971 when a boat safety law was passed in the US. If you were to split open the hull, that would be different. But an intact hull is required to remain afloat with the max capacity of weight aboard.
That is what I believe too, it does apply to certain boats, and I'm not sure of the size/type restrictions. Some sailboats (keelboats for example) will sink quickly to the bottom like a stone and you need to be clear when that happens. I think the floatation rule applies even if the hull is breached, it has to do with the total volume of foam, and where it is distributed in the boat, and maybe trapped air. My last boat, a 26', could not sink.

It is a critical piece of safety information that you really need to have about any boat because it means staying with the boat, or abandoning it, which could be a life or death decision in an emergency. I have instructed sailing and the content of the passenger briefing (haven't been on here long enough to know if reading that will make you guys laugh or not) that you give to passengers depends on knowing that about the boat. I am a "lifetime" boater and as a habit I like to know that about any boat I go on, though it is obvious in many cases. Plus, asking is an ice-breaker, lol.

But it does sound like these jet boats will float and therefore passengers should stay with the boat. Am awaiting delivery of mine so haven't had a chance to look at the floatation. It is encouraging to see videos of so much water being taken on and having the engine not suck any in. Thank you for this and to others who responded to my question, it has been helpful.

That is what I believe too, it does apply to certain boats, and I'm not sure of the size/type restrictions. Some sailboats (keelboats for example) will sink quickly to the bottom like a stone and you need to be clear when that happens. I think the floatation rule applies even if the hull is breached, it has to do with the total volume of foam, and where it is distributed in the boat, and maybe trapped air. My last boat, a 26', could not sink.

It is a critical piece of safety information that you really need to have about any boat because it means staying with the boat, or abandoning it, which could be a life or death decision in an emergency. I have instructed sailing and the content of the passenger briefing (haven't been on here long enough to know if reading that will make you guys laugh or not) that you give to passengers depends on knowing that about the boat. I am a "lifetime" boater and as a habit I like to know that about any boat I go on, though it is obvious in many cases. Plus, asking is an ice-breaker, lol.

But it does sound like these jet boats will float and therefore passengers should stay with the boat. Am awaiting delivery of mine so haven't had a chance to look at the floatation. It is encouraging to see videos of so much water being taken on and having the engine not suck any in. Thank you for this and to others who responded to my question, it has been helpful.
Yamaha will not sink from swamping but with enough water/passenger weight it will sink, unlike some premium boats yamaha does not have foam inserts in between hulls. Cant find example but here's a scarab which is comparable boat that are sinking (64) 2017 Scarab jet boat almost sinks to the bottom! - YouTube

Yamaha will not sink from swamping but with enough water/passenger weight it will sink, unlike some premium boats yamaha does not have foam inserts in between hulls. Cant find example but here's a scarab which is comparable boat that are sinking (64) 2017 Scarab jet boat almost sinks to the bottom! - YouTube
I don't technically classify that Scarab as "sinking", at least not that time, though it might have if given more time. Once a boat is low enough in the water the passengers no longer contribute much downward weight, because they are mostly buoyant at that stage. It becomes more like a swimming pool with seats that doesn't eventually head for Davy Jones' locker, and passengers should stay with it in that case (and maybe finish the cooler contents while rescue comes). I've seen other boats head for the bottom, bow-last (after the air purges from it). Big engines make good anchors, lol.

I don't technically classify that Scarab as "sinking", at least not that time, though it might have if given more time. Once a boat is low enough in the water the passengers no longer contribute much downward weight, because they are mostly buoyant at that stage. It becomes more like a swimming pool with seats that doesn't eventually head for Davy Jones' locker, and passengers should stay with it in that case (and maybe finish the cooler contents while rescue comes). I've seen other boats head for the bottom, bow-last (after the air purges from it). Big engines make good anchors, lol.
If thats the case I hope you are right cause I go off shore with mine lol

If thats the case I hope you are right cause I go off shore with mine lol
Lol. The data for this must be somewhere, I can’t imagine that Yamaha hasn’t done tests, even if a virtual analysis. I think we are pretty safe. If I “get to the bottom of it” (not literally) with higher certainty I will post here. Thanks. This is a great site, btw, lots of knowledgeable posters and useful information, hope I can contribute to it in the future.

Very good information. As a new 210 FSH owner in SWFL I want to venture 10-30 miles offshore to fish. Before I go out that far I want to adequately prepare the boat.
I will be adding a VHF radio n tall antenna. I think a second bilge pump would be good along with hand pump and a couple of buckets. What other preparations should I consider? Thanks!

Last edited:
As to communications, I would suggest what I do: handheld VHF radio (range up to 8 miles) and a handheld Garmin InReach Satellite Communicator/extra GPS (range worldwide). With the Garmin InReach, you can text back and forth with any cellphone (family, friends, tow service) and use the SOS button to contact (2 way) Garmin's (was GEOS) monitoring center to request the kind of assistance you need (USCG or just a tow). You can wear the Garmin, and they start at $300 plus a basic $12 a month service plan. Unlike a VHF radio, you are never out of range, and it is fully independent of the boat.

Mounted VHF radios are vulnerable to: serious electrical system failure, fire on the boat, boat being swamped by a wave, boat sinking and etc.

Very good information. As a new 210 FSH owner in SWFL I want to venture 10-30 miles offshore to fish. Before I go out that far I want to adequately prepare the boat.
I will be adding a VHF radio n tall antenna. I think a second bilge pump would be good along with hand pump and a couple of buckets. What other preparations should I consider? Thanks!
ePirb - I have resQlink 400 I believe. Also 5G I was able to take calls about 10 miles (approximately) offshore from my phones, was really surprise but can't replace VHF and ePirb when going offshore.

One other thing about the Garmin InReach, you can take it anywhere (hiking, back country off roading, river rafting, to other countries and etc.). Since most models are also a GPS with full display, they are handy - so to speak.

ePirb - I have resQlink 400 I believe. Also 5G I was able to take calls about 10 miles (approximately) offshore from my phones, was really surprise but can't replace VHF and ePirb when going offshore.
We too have been pleasantly surprised how well 5G works off shore. We were about 5 miles out on an artificial reef, and we had 3 bars of 5G with T-Mobile. Of course, it helps that they have a tower on Tybee Island.

We too have been pleasantly surprised how well 5G works off shore. We were about 5 miles out on an artificial reef, and we had 3 bars of 5G with T-Mobile. Of course, it helps that they have a tower on Tybee Island.
Ya when my phone rang, I was dumbfounded but I'm glad I get signal so far off shore. I was between Fort Pierce and Stuart by Voici Bernadette Wreck.

I take an InReach, a fixed VHF and multiple hand held VHF radios when crossing to Bimini. I attach a hand held to each type 1 life jacket.

Other jet boats probably are as well but I do not have first had experience with them.

Every Yamaha boat that I have seen has a scupper drain at the stern. This drains water from the rear of the cockpit out through the scupper valve. This scupper system drains rain water or water that has splashed into the boat.

The scupper does not drain water from the bilge or engine compartment. That water is handled by the bilge pump. The bilge pump should always be on when the boat is in the water. The bilge pump will cycle every few minutes to check for water and pump out any that is found.

If you happen to take a wave over the bow or side of the boat it is important to keep going and either get on plane or keep the bow elevated. Doing so will decrease the likelihood of taking on additional water, will increase the rate of flow through the scupper and will concentrate bilge water near the pump.

Our boats handle water in the bilge or in the cockpit area very well. The engines will continue to run until water gets into the air intakes at the top of the engine. The cockpit will hold water that drains through the scupper without ever entering the bilge. Even if the cockpit and bilge fill with water the boat has sufficient flotation that it will not sink.

I have been in a poorly maintained Yamaha boat that the dealer was demonstrating when a clean out of plug blew, the bilge was filled with water and then more than half of the cockpit filled with water. The bow remained above water where @Rana, the kids and the dealer remained dry. I was at the stern holding the cleanout plug that would not lock in place. My legs were wet but I was not in any danger.

If your boat takes on water at some point please do not panic. If you get on plane or can keep the bow up you will likely be able to drain the water out. You should drive towards shore in case of the unlikely scenario of needing to abandon the boat.

Even if you forget to install the drain plug at launch the same principles apply. If you can keep the bow up you may be able to reverse the flow of water into the hull while the bilge pump does it's work. Once you believe you have reduced the volume of water in the bilge jump stop the boat, jump into the water and install the drain plug. I have experienced this issue in fishing boats and have seen the water in the floor drain out while the bow is elevated.
Thanks for the post. I didn't realize the bilge pump should be on all the time. I understood that it came on automatically. I have only been out three times (just got the boat) in our 195s and the bilge has come on near the end of the da each timey. Water getting in slowly from some where. Places to check?

Back