• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Boats are Self Bailing - If you get water in the boat do not panic

Thanks for the post. I didn't realize the bilge pump should be on all the time. I understood that it came on automatically. I have only been out three times (just got the boat) in our 195s and the bilge has come on near the end of the da each timey. Water getting in slowly from some where. Places to check?

On some, or all, newer Yamaha boats the bilge pump is wired to be on any time the battery is on. This is an improvement over expecting owners to turn the switch.

Have a look at this thread for information on finding leaks https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-ultimate-leak-finding-thread-your-opinions-are-needed.6684/

On some, or all, newer Yamaha boats the bilge pump is wired to be on any time the battery is on. This is an improvement over expecting owners to turn the switch.

Have a look at this thread for information on finding leaks https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-ultimate-leak-finding-thread-your-opinions-are-needed.6684/
My 2019 SX210 is wired that way, but I try to make it a habit that anytime we move the boat out of cove we've anchored in for awhile to go ahead and click the dash toggle to "full on" while having the bow up at 10mph or so. Just to get bilge water that isn't enough to trip the internal auto pump sensor.

My 2019 SX210 is wired that way, but I try to make it a habit that anytime we move the boat out of cove we've anchored in for awhile to go ahead and click the dash toggle to "full on" while having the bow up at 10mph or so. Just to get bilge water that isn't enough to trip the internal auto pump sensor.

Does flipping the switch on cause the bilge pump to pump regardless of whether water is present?

Does flipping the switch on cause the bilge pump to pump regardless of whether water is present?

Yes, that is correct. Runs the pump no matter what.

It is the first thing I do after turning on the battery switch is run the bilge to hear the pump and visually verify the engine compartment (which make it easier to hear), even though the drain plug has been out while on the trailer since the last trip to the lake.

Even when we're hanging out in a cove, I'll run the pump for a 10 seconds or so on occassion just to see if I get anything, and if I do, I'll run it until "dry".

As to communications, I would suggest what I do: handheld VHF radio (range up to 8 miles) and a handheld Garmin InReach Satellite Communicator/extra GPS (range worldwide). With the Garmin InReach, you can text back and forth with any cellphone (family, friends, tow service) and use the SOS button to contact (2 way) Garmin's (was GEOS) monitoring center to request the kind of assistance you need (USCG or just a tow). You can wear the Garmin, and they start at $300 plus a basic $12 a month service plan. Unlike a VHF radio, you are never out of range, and it is fully independent of the boat.

Mounted VHF radios are vulnerable to: serious electrical system failure, fire on the boat, boat being swamped by a wave, boat sinking and etc.

Purchased the In-Reach. It works great. Have used it to leave a track (ping every 10 mins) and a few txt messages. Really impressed with it. VHF Radios are in short supply, but I recently grabbed an 8’ antenna at 20% off.

During one of our trips, we had high waves hitting the boat every now and then. The water filled the entire ski locker, water almost 2-3 inches on deck and what made it worse, a plastic bag got stuck into the propeller ?, and dirt plugged the ski locker drains. I did not want to stop and open the clean out ports fearing i wont be able to run the engine again, the bilge pump was not catching up and the boat started slowing down.

With 6 people on board, I had to slowly crawl back to shore, we got there safely. Lesson learned, keep your ski locker drains open if you expect water getting in during your trip.

10F91CFD-3C11-4202-A7AC-D52A2ED4081B.jpeg

During one of our trips, we had high waves hitting the boat every now and then. The water filled the entire ski locker, water almost 2-3 inches on deck and what made it worse, a plastic bag got stuck into the propeller ?, and dirt plugged the ski locker drains. I did not want to stop and open the clean out ports fearing i wont be able to run the engine again, the bilge pump was not catching up and the boat started slowing down.

With 6 people on board, I had to slowly crawl back to shore, we got there safely. Lesson learned, keep your ski locker drains open if you expect water getting in during your trip.

View attachment 174638

Glad you made it to shore safely…. Is there any way to either adjust the ski locker hatch so that it closes more tightly on the gasket or replace the gasketting so the seal is able to keep water out of the ski locker when taking waves over the bow?

Glad you lived to tell about it. ;) After the first wave over the bow I would have shifted the crew weight aft. It would have increased freeboard at the bow and angled the deck to drain the 2-3" of water aft towards the scupper deck drain. The deck needs to be pitched to aft or the water will pool forward and flood the ski locker seal and gutter system. I had similar issues with my 07 AR 230 just sitting at the slip.

Very different situation, but similar issue.

Glad you made it to shore safely…. Is there any way to either adjust the ski locker hatch so that it closes more tightly on the gasket or replace the gasketting so the seal is able to keep water out of the ski locker when taking waves over the bow?

I think you can add some sealing rubber. However, I believe having it not fully sealed is an advantage to drain whatever comes in.

Glad you lived to tell about it. ;) After the first wave over the bow I would have shifted the crew weight aft. It would have increased freeboard at the bow and angled the deck to drain the 2-3" of water aft towards the scupper deck drain. The deck needs to be pitched to aft or the water will pool forward and flood the ski locker seal and gutter system. I had similar issues with my 07 AR 230 just sitting at the slip.

Very different situation, but similar issue.

Honestly, I was afraid this would flood the engine compartment and kills it. Or flood the battery area and possibly get someone hurt.

What was funny, or not, while I was trying to manage the situation, my crew thought it was fun. ?‍♂️ That was the last time I took them boating ?

I think you can add some sealing rubber. However, I believe having it not fully sealed is an advantage to drain whatever comes in.

And where does the water go that gets past the seal and into the ski locker?

I would prefer the water to stay on deck and drain out the scupper than to go into the ski locker and then drain to the bilge where the pump may not keep up with what was coming in. The bilge pump is at an elevated position in the bilge and many gallons can be down there before the pump can pick it up. There is even more water when the boat’s deck/bilge is pitched forward, water weight towards the bow allowing more water down there before the pump picks it up. Keeping the boat deck draining aft out the scupper will keep water out of the bilge from the ski locker. I would not count on a perfect seal at the ski locker hatch. Mine still leaked after I replaced it. The gutter system around the hatches will redirect moderate amounts of water back to the scupper thru hull. Large amounts over the bow will flood that system until water leaves via the scupper or makes its way down into the bilge. Just my $.02.

And where does the water go that gets past the seal and into the ski locker?

The ski locker has a drain that takes the water to the bilge area which is then pumped out. That drain has a plug. So, above the deck water drains out through a scrubber, and below deck water is drained though the bilge area.

I would prefer the water to stay on deck and drain out the scupper than to go into the ski locker and then drain to the bilge where the pump may not keep up with what was coming in. The bilge pump is at an elevated position in the bilge and many gallons can be down there before the pump can pick it up. There is even more water when the boat’s deck/bilge is pitched forward, water weight towards the bow allowing more water down there before the pump picks it up. Keeping the boat deck draining aft out the scupper will keep water out of the bilge from the ski locker. I would not count on a perfect seal at the ski locker hatch. Mine still leaked after I replaced it. The gutter system around the hatches will redirect moderate amounts of water back to the scupper thru hull. Large amounts over the bow will flood that system until water leaves via the scupper or makes its way down into the bilge. Just my $.02.

Agree. I second that.

Back