• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Stop Sale on Certain 2022 / 2023 Models, Steering Cable Recall

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some deliveries may be delayed. Would recommend you get with your dealer if you already have one of these boats. What is interesting is that for instance MY 2017 thru MY 2022 in the 21' AR/SX all used the same steering cables, and at least in my case there have been issues with them pre-recall. Now they are labeling it under "Material Quality". Seems like this may been an issue for some time. Would sure like me $400 back for my steering cable :)

1681908302193.png

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good catch, I missed that thread.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All good, that list is informative.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was talking to my friend yesterday about this and he told me about Teleflex having a big issue back in the 90’s when they tried to switch from soldering the ends on to swaging / crimping.

The big headache right now is tracking down where the problems started and where those cables ended up.

captedit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey, new guy here. Was supposed to get my 195s delivered today. Just got called by the dealer, no boat due to this steering issue. Came here to confirm he wasn't stalling. I'm in Knoxville, TN.

JayAre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m mostly curious how quickly Yamaha will come up with a solution. If they can get it resolved within a month, fine I’ll sit tight. If it’s an open ended “we’ll let you know” then I’m definitely backing out of the sale and looking for something else or a nice used one.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m mostly curious how quickly Yamaha will come up with a solution. If they can get it resolved within a month, fine I’ll sit tight. If it’s an open ended “we’ll let you know” then I’m definitely backing out of the sale and looking for something else or a nice used one.
I was thinking about this as well. If Yamaha can’t get this resolved in a reasonable time, quite a few buyers may end up backing out of their sales, this will not bode well for the dealerships.

Jim

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm... Which would create a higher demand for the few boats they can push out........... (Just kidding!)

captedit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
My dealer just told me I can take the boat if I sign a waiver which would absolve them of responsibility in case the cable failed. I have not paid them yet. Wondering if I should do it or not. Figure though I can watch the cable closely and monitor it's condition.

JayAre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dealer just told me I can take the boat if I sign a waiver which would absolve them of responsibility in case the cable failed. I have not paid them yet. Wondering if I should do it or not. Figure though I can watch the cable closely and monitor it's condition.
I wonder if all dealers have that option. Hmmm… I’m not sure what the specific failure is but I would try and force some lubricant down into the cable, then keep an eye on the ends and the rubber boots. Just based off of the various failures I’ve seen mentioned.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the cable fails while you are underway at speed you could lose control of the boat. which can result in damage, injury or death. I personally wouldn't sign a waiver, unless I EXACTLY knew what the exact problem is. Each person needs to figure out their own risk.

captedit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
If the cable fails while you are underway at speed you could lose control of the boat. which can result in damage, injury or death. I personally wouldn't sign a waiver, unless I EXACTLY knew what the exact problem is. Each person needs to figure out their own risk.
I'm also worried my insurance would deny any claims because of this.

Nextlevel3223

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would you mind posting the waiver? I'd like to try and see if my dealer will let mine go as well.

jetezlayz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Our 252SE was in a storage fire last month. We just picked up our 2023 252XE yesterday… didn’t see this until today. Wondering if our dealer knew about this or not and we shouldn’t have actually gotten the boat..

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what does this mean for older 22 models? I have had my 22 since May of 22.....are they getting a recall?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
what does this mean for older 22 models? I have had my 22 since May of 22.....are they getting a recall?
Is your boat on the list above?

buckeyeblind

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I have been waiting for my 222 fsh sport to be shipped. It is true, they are not shipping them until the steering cables are inspected. I talked to Yamaka customer service, they said should be ready to go in a couple of weeks. The anticipation is killing me...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Our 252SE was in a storage fire last month. We just picked up our 2023 252XE yesterday… didn’t see this until today. Wondering if our dealer knew about this or not and we shouldn’t have actually gotten the boat..
Sounds like an roller coaster of a month for you lol