• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

More weight

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, I already had a 750lb ballast and have filled up my ski locker with water. That wasn't enough weight, so I have a 550lb ballast coming this week. Hopefully with the center locker and these two ballast filled up....I can go ropeless!!! If not, I need to win the lottery so I can buy a wake boat :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
5'6" board...it is a Ronix Koal Fish. I weight 175lbs so I'm hoping for the best.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With that board (I have the same one) and some more weight you should be able to, I have had someone ropeless with it. For that we had a 1k sack on the floor in the back between the seats, a 400lb on the floor in the bow and two adults on the surf surf side seats. if youn still have trouble try playing with the speed a bit, up and down a few hundred rpms does make a difference too. Good luck, I'm not ropeless yet either, but I weigh more and really don't mind holding on to the rope it's still fun!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do you have any chunky friends? I usually need to get to around 1700-2000 lbs total weight to go ropeless.

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know how much weight it is when I fill up the center locker? I could be getting close to the 1700 lbs mark.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've had close to 3000 lbs in my boat with no issues other than it's hard to get up on plane. There have been a few times where I've had so much weight the boat won't get up on plane. In fact it would max out right at surf speed. Perfect!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Maxing out at surf speed happens to me all the time......ok maybe 500 rpms less

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I added this extra 550 and I think the wave got worse. I have the center ski locker filled and 750 on the starboard rear seat. I placed the 550 on the floor on the next to the starboard bench seat. Can someone tell me what they think the best configuration is for wake surfing. I'm goofy foot btw.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are the newer model boats really that hard to get a wave on? I have a 500lb bag on the rear seat and 350 in the bow of my 230 and I can go ropeless...the wave isn't great and the pocket isn't very deep, but it gets me through for now until I can afford to spend more on ballast.....

sorry, that's not really helpful, but I've also been looking at newer boats and if it's that much harder to do the stuff that I enjoy than I may have to think again.....

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@sx210owner can you help with the configuration of the ballast I have available as far as what would be the best option.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking maybe 550 on the swim deck , to give you more push , 750 on the seat , and try without filling you ski locker , that sould give you some push but a small pocket , but for learning you want a lot of push to help figure things out , do you have any pics of the wave your producing now ?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do you go boating at ?

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Smithville Lake in Missouri. Don't have any photos, but I'll try the swim deck option.

Last edited:

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea try it with out filling the ski locker and with filling it I really think you have to much bow weight , maybe try nothing in the front locker , then ad 1/4 in the locker , then 1/2 in the locker ect

Last edited:

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm thinking maybe 550 on the swim deck , to give you more push , 750 on the seat , and try without filling you ski locker , that sould give you some push but a small pocket , but for learning you want a lot of push to help figure things out , do you have any pics of the wave your producing now ?
Adding the weight to the swim deck really helped my boat. Then add the the surf wedge to help clean the wake up!!