• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha 212X Photos

BMav

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
From what I hear you can add a sack or a wedge to the 212x to match, or come very close, the moomba wake. 212x obviously playing from behind being a jet. If its a pure wakeboarding boat under 70k you want, Moomba is prob the way to go but I wanted a boat better for cruising, swimming, beaching, handling, speed as well. Can get out the door with the 2017 212x for 60k and change and have all the bells and whistles. Feels like the 2016 242x.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Moomba has about 15K difference between MSRP and dealer cost, Mastercraft has about 10K in the NXT, so there is room negotiate. Most Yamaha dealers won't come off of MSRP. Goto seedealercost.com/boats to see for yourself and be ready for a shock at the markup of boats.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
no more J seating option? I'm torn on if I like that or not. 180 degree rotation is nice

BMav

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
thank you for the makrup information. Something i did not consider.

The 2 bucket seats was a big factor in going with the 2017 over a 2016. I done see why any rear facing seat doesnt have a flip cushion like on a Regal. If theres just 2 people cruising you want the co-pilot chair.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
no more J seating option? I'm torn on if I like that or not. 180 degree rotation is nice
You can effectively create the J seating by just rotating the co-pilot chair 180 degrees. I think it provides the best of both worlds....2 forward facing seats for when you want that, and rear ward bench if you want to look backwards.

Mastercrafts have about 10k of dealer wiggle room, while Yamahas have about 6K - for similarly priced boats comparing a MC-NXT20 (60K) to a 242L (59K).

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I prefer the J seating because we have small kids, so the co-pilot chair would go unused facing forward unless there is a 3rd adult on board, but I agree outside of that context a rotating seat would seem to be the better option.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The thing I like about the J seating though is you get some storage space under the seat (I use that area a lot on my 192). With the added captains chair you can swivel 180° but you lose the underseat space. When I first looked at boats I thought for sure I would want dual captain's chairs but after riding in a 2016 212SS and then the layout of the 192 I actually preferred the J seating style more. I guess the flip side positive for a captain's chair is that passengers can sit facing forward but I've found my wife prefers the bow over most places on the boat to ride.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The thing I like about the J seating though is you get some storage space under the seat (I use that area a lot on my 192). With the added captains chair you can swivel 180° but you lose the underseat space. When I first looked at boats I thought for sure I would want dual captain's chairs but after riding in a 2016 212SS and then the layout of the 192 I actually preferred the J seating style more. I guess the flip side positive for a captain's chair is that passengers can sit facing forward but I've found my wife prefers the bow over most places on the boat to ride.
I hated the dual chairs on the 212ss because they sat at different heights. Every time I crawled around on one I just kept thinking why did they think this looked okay, and I didn't need all of the watersports features on the X since my kids are years away from ever utilizing them. I am still in the 21 foot boat market but now that they've upped the price on the twin 1.8s 21 footers quite a bit I am either going used or to the base TR1 package.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Moomba has about 15K difference between MSRP and dealer cost, Mastercraft has about 10K in the NXT, so there is room negotiate. Most Yamaha dealers won't come off of MSRP. Goto seedealercost.com/boats to see for yourself and be ready for a shock at the markup of boats.
My experience with Yamaha does not agree.

I've paid thousands under MSRP on each of my new Yamahas. ('09 232 LS; '16 242x)
-Buy out of season (they are slow)
-Buy from owner, not salesperson (saves them commission)
-Buy from high volume dealer (get better prices from OEM; owner likes volume)
-Be getting prices from multiple dealers that will work with you
-Have cash, or equivalent (make them say no to it)
-Have to be able & willing to walk from the deal that will not make you happy

If it is in-season, they can see that you are IN LOVE and they are the only option, you will pay their price-

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My experie I nce with Yamaha does not agree.

I've paid thousands under MSRP on each of my new Yamahas. ('09 232 LS; '16 242x)
-Buy out of season (they are slow)
-Buy from owner, not salesperson (saves them commission)
-Buy from high volume dealer (get better prices from OEM; owner likes volume)
-Be getting prices from multiple dealers that will work with you
-Have cash, or equivalent (make them say no to it)
-Have to be able & willing to walk from the deal that will not make you happy

If it is in-season, and they can see that you are IN LOVE. You will pay their price-
I said most Yamaha dealers will not come off MSRP, I too paid well under MSRP.

G.P. On the water

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi guys! Here is my humble opinion. You cannot compare a purpose built tow entry level boat with Yamaha. The 212x offers a lot more for the money, even at 60K.
If you buy an entry level tow boat like the Moomba Helix and you wand to add the standard options of the 212x the is the list:

260 Accent color ( Painted Bow)
330 Pop-up cleats
260 Non skid package
690 snap in carpet
1650 Subwoofer
120 flip up driver
1200 swivel racks
1550 Flow 2.0 system (Ballast)
1000 Bimini
1130 cover
190 bow filler
200 walk thru screen
100 Cooler
390 depth finder
310 dual battery
1060 Tandem Spring Axle w/disc brakes
460 spare tire
190 Swing away tongue
370 Trailer transom steps
220 Water strainer and flush kit “ Salt water Kit”... Your Yamaha will be just fine in salt water conditions!

TOTAL $70,030 for your Moomba Helix if you are into the sport 100% it's actually a good deal.

Standard options in the 212x not even available with Moomba:

No passenger captain’s chair... This one is a personal preference. I personally like this one and my wife loves this feature.
No Bow ladder
No Hinged seats
No analog tachometers
No windshield mirror ( another $400) PTM
No stern speakers
No stern audio remote ( another$$expense.. not available in the Moomba webpage)

No dinette table option
No wet storage at stern
No joystick to control screen
Only 39 fuel capacity
5.3” screen . not even close to connext 7’ capabilities

So after owning a 2006 moomba outback and recently a scarab 195... I am very exited to have my my 212x deliver on 2-18-17!!!