• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat pulls left

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This was a topic on another forum, thought I would bring it over here.

I noticed a tendency for my 2012 242 Limited S to pull left. It's just enough to be annoying and require some effort to hold the wheel to the right to go straight. It seems to get worse at speed. Below are the theories and my progress working through them. They are listed in order of what I believe to be the most simple to complex for troubleshooting purposes.

1-It doesn't pull, but it's a factor of wind/current.
I have ruled this out based on runs in multiple directions, etc. Always to the left despite these factors.

2-Throttles are not synced, so make sure RPMs are the same in each engine.
Have double checked to make sure RPMs are same vs. just having throttles aligned. Still pulls.

3-Something to do with the Cobra fins? One out of alignment?
Will check.

4-Steering cable adjustment.
Have not checked yet. Investigating procedures to adjust.

5-Jets slightly misaligned.
Have not checked yet. Investigating procedures to adjust.

6-The plates under the boat need adjusting.
Have seen some info on this. Just starting to look into it. Seems rather complicated.
7-One pump is stronger than other somehow affecting the pull.
Not sure how to check. Oddly enough, there is always water on top of the starboard plug that I assumed just washes up and over and into this compartment when slowing down etc. (a common theory here when water is on top of the plugs). Could this be related? Doubtful, since any "blow by" of that starboard plug would likely weaken the starboard power and cause boat to be pushed right, not left....

8-Propeller pitch an issue?
Have seen info on this, but not sure how to go about this other than find an expert who offers some fix/advice. This would be a lot of repetitive costly trial and error to go changing propeller pitch setups. And it may just end up masking the real problem...
What else am I missing?

ADDED:
*check the reverse buckets to make sure they are both operating full range
If I never solve it, I will still use the boat and love it. It's just a bit annoying...

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suggest finding a framing square and using it to check the steering cable adjustment with the steering wheel centered. This should take care of 4 & 5 and seems like the most likely issue.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Is it possible that one of the reverse gates are not "fully" open?? Blocking a small amount of the jet??

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find we have had this issue from time to time, and always to the left. Always seems to fix itself with time....

Like in the airplane, we use asymmetrical thrust to maintain direction. I try to remember to check nozzle symmetry, and think I did once, but for whatever reason the problem seems to fix itself, and recur at long intervals for short period of time.... I am so used to flying with asym thrust from the light twin days (no N1-sync or yaw damper) that it just seems normal to me.....I think of it as "poor mans rudder trim"..... I still steer hands-off and trim with asym thrust to hold a heading....

Looks like you have more motivation than I do to figure this out but I would be interested in finding out your results!

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
http://www.groupk.com/yjetboat.htm
Someone on YJB posted this awhile back and I found it a good read. The entire article is interesting, but scroll down to "Jet Pump Issue", then down to "Twin Engine Pump Loading". When reading this, it made me think of other posts that I have read where guys have mentioned the boat pulling. Related? IDK, but something to think about.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I had the same issue the boat would not track exactly straight and was annoying. So I reported the same issue to my dealer indicating they should check 2,4 and 5 on your list as they get it ready for the season. Supposed to be getting the boat back this weekend. Will report what they found.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remember one instance where the factory mounted identical impellers instead of the offset port/starboard models that caused a similar situation..... Just a thought....

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find we have had this issue from time to time, and always to the left. Always seems to fix itself with time....
. I try to remember to check nozzle symmetry, and think I did once, but for whatever reason the problem seems to fix itself, and recur at long intervals for short period of time....
Same here, although I can never remember which direction to call it :shamefullyembarrased:. Is "pulling to the left" where the boat wants to go left if you let go of the wheel, thus I have to pull the wheel to the right? Or is it when I'm always pulling the wheel left, but if I let go, the boat will steer to the right?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it more "Pulling" or "Pushing" ?

Just thought I'd throw that out there. You know me - Keep it stupid, simple!

I, too, have had that there thing you are describing, regardless of what we call it. I have occasional memory lapses so please don't shoot the messenger ....I "Think" I just adjusted my steering cables to align the jets properly. I can now drive the boat with no hands Ma! (see what I did there?) :cool:

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Like in the airplane, we use asymmetrical thrust to maintain direction. I try to remember to check nozzle symmetry, and think I did once, but for whatever reason the problem seems to fix itself, and recur at long intervals for short period of time.... I am so used to flying with asym thrust from the light twin days (no N1-sync or yaw damper) that it just seems normal to me.....I think of it as "poor mans rudder trim"..... I still steer hands-off and trim with asym thrust to hold a heading....

Looks like you have more motivation than I do to figure this out but I would be interested in finding out your results!
I can just hear my instructor reminding me now "right rudder...right rudder..."...

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Excellent input guys. I will work on the alignment thing before my first launch this spring and go from there. Will keep you posted...

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I first bought our boat my port side jet nozzle was slightly off. it was pulling into the port side. I took it to the dealer and they re aligned the nozzle and that took care of the problem

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can just hear my instructor reminding me now "right rudder...right rudder..."...
If I had a dollar for every time I have told a student that.......I'd be retired in Tahiti! :cool:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I also recall the Australian Jet Boater who had a friend who ran the aluminum twin jet boats, and the assertion there was that the boat actually tracks better if the nozzles are both slightly angled towards the center line of the boat. It was interesting info....

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also adjusted the nozzles to be straight. I did look to make sure the buckets opened fully as well. I never had a bad problem to begin with though. I liked the artical on the impellers. I am going to ask them what they have for the newer boats. As I have said before, I know I am one of the few, I hate the clean out plugs and they are always a pain. I now just keep them in place and don't worry about takes them out every time I am done with the boat. I have do have EZ-locks as well. if I could get the impellers that give better performance and reduce the issue with anything getting caught in the pump that is just great! Thanks for sharing the information it was an intersting read.

bprender

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have noticed the same problem with mine. At cruise there has to be constant pressure to left to keep straight

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Is it possible that one of the reverse gates are not "fully" open?? Blocking a small amount of the jet??
This was the exact problem I had yesterday....and it was because the starboard reverse gate was not coming all of the way up.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good suggestion on the buckets. added to the list...

will be looking closely at this next Saturday...

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My thought is that this because of the torque of the engines, thus the reason for the different pitched impellers. I think that the different pitched impellers are an attempt to correct for this, but doesn't quite get it right.