• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Strainer install pictures and great results

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed water strainers since I got tired of pulling off the exhaust chamber to clean out the 3 cooling holes. I have had to do this twice, once on each engine. I boat on shallow water that includes a river and man made lakes/dams.

Here is a picture of the install and the results from one of the strainers after a 10 minute run today. I am glad I chose to do this and kudos to @islandracing for getting these out to me in a couple of days.

IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that's a lot of stuff to catch, how long did it take for that to build up?

is this a 2 stroke issue ? did they change something on the 4 strokes to stop this?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was a quick 10 minute run but the debris really comes from near the ramp (launch/retrieve)

The new boats have a screen which provides a similar strainer feature. Definitely a 2 stroke, older boat problem that may do well with this upgrade. I'll know more over time.

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I just saw this, and after spending a ton of money for new gaskets after tearing out my exhaust, I promptly placed my order for strainer.. Any instructions or photos you have or even the old "If I had to do it over" tips would be welcomed.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I had to do it over again, I would double check all hose clamps and make sure they are secure! There are so many connections and I installed them with idea of going back and tightening them all. Forgot one and let me tell you that I noticed pretty quickly when I started up the boat!

You will like this add-on. It makes complete sense to filter the cooling water. You could also add tow valves at the same time since the connections that you will be making allow for the perfect time to put an inline valve. I didn't install them and it would still be very easy to add them.

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Did you have issues ordering from Island Racing? I went to their page and followed the online ordering instructions but never heard back from them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
They finally called me the other day and said they never say the email. I said that was ok, I found a solution on my own.