• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where to Mount Battery Charger Inlet

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Guest 2611A dual bank battery charger. I also have the inlet that I am going to permanently mount. The inlet is where the extension cord plugs into the system to charge the batteries.

My question: where is the best location to install this?

I was thinking that it would be very beneficial to be in a convenient location to be able to charge the batteries while the mooring cover is still on.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?

Thanks!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hmm, is the charger mounted next to the stock battery location @farrelltravis ? If so, could you mount it close to the gas cap and get to it through the cover opening for the cap? Not a big fan of an electrical connection there, but other than low on the side, the only other choice is to leave the corner of the cover up for that. Unless mounting inside the swimdeck area on the inside of the finned gunwale, and then you could slide the cord under the cover lip, plug in, and recover it.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel - those are the two locations I was thinking of also. By the gas cap makes a lot of since for convenience. However, how worried should I be with an electrical connection close to the gas cap and the gas vent?

On the swim platform area would work too. Wouldn't be quite as easy as by the gas cap, but would work.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I slide mine up under the cover. Does not matter what direction I park in the slip this way and keeps it nice and dry.
WP_20130801_001_1.jpg WP_20130801_006.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Since I have used the pulsetech, my cord comes from the battery, thru the bulkhead, into the engine compartment, out the seatback vent, and onto the swimdeck. I plug into it and cover all the time. I am leery of the gas cap area but I mentioned it.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks good @davel501 !! That is where I was contemplating also. Yeah, I am leery of putting it by the gas cap too, Mel.

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have mine mounted down behind the drivers seat where a lot of guys put there subs. Since I leave my boat on a lift over top of the water I preferred to pass the cord under the cover and into the boat that way nothing can simply knock it loose and let it fall into the water.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am debating where to install the charger inlet for my boat as well.

Davel501's location is easily accessible and covered. But I worry about water washing over the swim deck and into the inlet.

I am considering somewhere in the passenger seat area. This will be much less accessible so it will need to plugged in before the cover goes on. But it allows for a horizontal mounting in a dryer area. It also makes the cord more visible so we should be less likely to try to pull away from the dock with it connected.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine is aft of the gas cap....you can just see it here (in the red box):
boat on lake.jpg

Its is a good 2-3 feet away from the gas cap (but right next to the battery). I can pull the Yamaha cover up, and plug in without uncovering her.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am debating where to install the charger inlet for my boat as well.

Davel501's location is easily accessible and covered. But I worry about water washing over the swim deck and into the inlet.

I am considering somewhere in the passenger seat area. This will be much less accessible so it will need to plugged in before the cover goes on. But it allows for a horizontal mounting in a dryer area. It also makes the cord more visible so we should be less likely to try to pull away from the dock with it connected.
Just thinking out loud here, but why drill a hole in your boat when you could just lift a seat?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just thinking out loud here, but why drill a hole in your boat when you could just lift a seat?
Good question. I like the idea of having an easily accessible plug. But placing it under the seat would avoid drilling the hole.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Because you can't lift a seat with the cover on after you've forgotten to plug in the extension cord, you are sweating to death on the dock already and don't want to hang around anymore.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Because you can't lift a seat with the cover on after you've forgotten to plug in the extension cord, you are sweating to death on the dock already and don't want to hang around anymore.
He wants his outlet in the cockpit so it is net/net.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
davel501 gets it right. However, it was so much easier for us to hide the Minn-Kota charger under the 242 convertible seat, which is difficult to put anything "into/under" ........

Thus, it became imminently easier and "looked better" mounting the outlet alongside the table mount.

It is so kewl not to haveta orry about raising seats, putting seats back, are the switches on, are the switches off " Jeez ! Life's too short. Raise the craft on the lift and plug in the charger. Eaz-Y Pee-Z !

Just my 2 cents worth, which won't even buy a small pack of Splenda today ...... LOL ! Mikey Lulejian - Enjoying 92 degree summer weather here on beautiful Lake Oconee, GA

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's what I did in my 230.

5426551331_4a0dd68a0d_o.jpg

5427156852_e9fc86699e_o.jpg

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run the extension cord up under the cover via the starboard rear cleat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put mine in the cup holder on the port side of the swim deck and run the cord under the cover as well as secure it to the nearby cleat. So far it's worked perfectly, that is no liquid makes it past the ports cover as it drains into the bilge instead via multiple holes I drilled around the ports perimeter. If you go this route access is through the nearby speaker and battery compartment. Also cutting stainless steel cup holders was a bitch. I started with a hole saw which didn't work at all and ended with a Dremel.

P5072938.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies! I am leaning towards the swim deck area. I am going to mess around with this over the weekend and try to figure out for certain where to put it.

Thanks again!