• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

‘Bama!

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
is there anyone who would happen to have any recommendations for Mobile, Alabama for boating? Where to go, what to see, etc.?

Getting ready to leave the insanity of California for quieter and considerably less taxed south. Really want to know if there is anyone who actually knows, not just Googled or speculated.

Not a ton of info, but definitely a few indications that it might be very boating friendly?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
is there anyone who would happen to have any recommendations for Mobile, Alabama for boating? Where to go, what to see, etc.?

Getting ready to leave the insanity of California for quieter and considerably less taxed south. Really want to know if there is anyone who actually knows, not just Googled or speculated.

Not a ton of info, but definitely a few indications that it might be very boating friendly?
@haknslash might know

Bayou boater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
There are probably better opinions than mine as I live about an hour from Mobile in Gulf Breeze, Florida. However, I would note that the east side of Mobile Bay is actually Baldwin County which is experiencing more rapid growth than mobile county on the west side of the Bay. It also happens to be next to a more boat interesting area in my opinion that includes the intercoastal running around Ono Island and Orange Beach.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with @Bayou boater. If I were moving to Mobile I’d move to the east side than the west. It’s more tourist driven though but the beaches and boating atmosphere is greater on the gulf coast. Beautiful area!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Congrats on the move. Guess this means you won't be heading up next years lake mead meetup :D :D

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Congrats on the move. Guess this means you won't be heading up next years lake mead meetup :D :D
Oh no, don't discount me on that! I'm keeping a place in San Diego as well, but for a multitude of reasons, mostly safety, moving the family out. I'll be "commuting" between Cali and 'Bama.

As far as the great advice so far, we're looking at Northwestern Mobile County, mostly because we have bunch of friends that are already there.

LOTS O' people leaving SoCal. By the droves! It's crae crae!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've never boated in South Alabama, but I've got a buddy that drives down 8-10 times a year just to boat with his family and go flounder gigging. He seems to prefer boating there instead of N. AL where he lives.

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've never boated in South Alabama, but I've got a buddy that drives down 8-10 times a year just to boat with his family and go flounder gigging. He seems to prefer boating there instead of N. AL where he lives.
Appreciate that feedback. I'm definitely talking to a few locals who are giving me an even bigger appreciation of what boating looks like down there. The nearest Yama dealer is pretty far away from where we'll be living, but it's got good reviews, so there's that!

JB Nonamé

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I live in central Alabama, but we have discussed taking the boat down to Orange Beach/Ft. Morgan area this coming summer during our annual family beach trip. I know this post is late to the discussion, haven't been on in a while...unavoidable. If you've already made the move, welcome!

Interestingly, my brother lives in Lancaster, CA and is contemplating a move to San Diego. From your post, looks like this may not be the best idea?

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I go there a couple of times every year with my buddies who have a beach house. Except for the channel, the Bay is very shallow. I fish there with friends and agree with the others. The east side is more natural and secluded (Ft. Morgan). Great fishing near shore for trout and reds. The gulf rigs offer snapper and deeper water has big Red Snapper and Amberjacks (Sea Donkeys). Mackerel is plentiful as well. The west side (Gulf Shores and Orange Beach) is more for tourists. I’ve always been surprised how early restaurants close even in the most popular months. Lulu’s is a fun centrally located restaurant on the gulf intracoastal. Be careful if you boat to it as there is a lot of commercial traffic and those guys are operating long tows of barges in front of them.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Geez I almost forgot the infamous big dive called the Florabama bar on the western border and Big Mike’s steakhouse is a must do as well.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Last thought. The beaches of 30a Florida and Destin are well worth a visit (2 hours east). I get there a number times each year as well. The beaches are amazing and the water is as clear and emerald as you can find in the states. My job takes me all over the U.S. and every side of Florida from Vero beach to Miami to the Keys and Clearwater. The Alabama Gulf or Florida Gulf nearby is where we’ll eventually call home. Also visit Pt. Clear Alabama. Amazing sunsets are found all over, but The Grand Hotel is a great stay.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm also in AL and look forward to taking the boat down to check out the Orange Beach islands. All of my boating experience is on freshwater lakes and rivers in the state, so super excited about going out on the salt. I'm also planning to take the boat to the forgotten coast (Dog and St George Islands).

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you like the more of a social boating scene I agree with the others, Orange Beach is where it is at in AL (or at least within boating distance of OBA). Been there numerous times both with and without the boat. We've stayed in many different places from condo's with a slip in Terry Cove to a house with private dock on Ono Island (although this is becoming more difficult because of their HOA rules are changing regarding renters).

We would usually go to to one of the islands or beaches during the day. A couple favorite spots include:
---> Robinson / Bird Island
---> Islands east of Ono Island
---> Johnson Beach
---> Old River Sandbar (E of Ono Bridge)

Some great bars/restaurants by water, some better for lunch, some better for dinner, some better for hydrating, here are a few of my favorites:
---> Pirates Cove
---> Florabama Yacht Club (across the street from the famous Florabama)
---> GT's on the Bay
---> The Anchor
---> Pleasure Island Tiki Bar
---> Fischer's Dockside (lower level)
---> Cobalt
---> Tacky Jack's
---> Sunset Grille (in FL)

Feel free to IM if you have any questions. In the meantime I will leave you with this...
67f771c3736d5b5eb0dbfd9d08e171ae.jpg

Last edited:

JB Nonamé

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Man that's alot of people in a small spot! Looks fun though...at least until dark.

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I live in central Alabama, but we have discussed taking the boat down to Orange Beach/Ft. Morgan area this coming summer during our annual family beach trip. I know this post is late to the discussion, haven't been on in a while...unavoidable. If you've already made the move, welcome!

Interestingly, my brother lives in Lancaster, CA and is contemplating a move to San Diego. From your post, looks like this may not be the best idea?
Hey JB, Lancaster, San Diego, same same. It's just California in general that we're departing from. San Diego is still beautiful as ever, but even more unaffordable than ever before. With local politics veering to the VERY hard left, there is no more moderation or opinion allowed or accepted throughout so many places there. I just want to be left alone, enjoy loving my family, my friends and the life I live - 'Bama has one of the greatest "secret" stories unfolding about how it will probably be a much more libertarian minded state than many in the union (more of great divide now). We shall see!

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ICW to Pensacola Beach for the Blue Angels home show, usually @ early July. It's a boating and aerial spectacle. If you get there early enough you can get into Little Sabine Bay, but lots anchor off shore too.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

How’s life in Alabama?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ICW to Pensacola Beach for the Blue Angels home show, usually @ early July. It's a boating and aerial spectacle. If you get there early enough you can get into Little Sabine Bay, but lots anchor off shore too.
I know this is an old thread at this point.......But we did this in June of '21, and it's effing amazing. Uncle snapped this picture of me in the water with all 6 Blue Angels in the background.

At one point one of the planes came over the bay low enough I could read the captains name on the side of the plane. Absurdly Loud and REALLY cool!

1653656728845.png

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread at this point.......But we did this in June of '21, and it's effing amazing. Uncle snapped this picture of me in the water with all 6 Blue Angels in the background.

At one point one of the planes came over the bay low enough I could read the captains name on the side of the plane. Absurdly Loud and REALLY cool!

View attachment 179027
Awesome! Just got back from a long weekend in Gulf Shores/Ft. Morgan Alabama and it doesn't disappoint!

Attachments