• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

190 FSH Sport maiden voyage...

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking forward to the review. In the back of my mind I'm thinking of going from my 24'er to this. :thumbsup:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something about this little boat I really like. Hope it's up to snuff. :cool:

RiverValley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Alright, I'm not much of a fisherman these days so I was not expecting to be too thrilled BUT I came away pleasantly surprised! The layout is very well thought out and, true to Yamaha's usual execution, everything really "makes sense", for lack of a better way to put it. The boat features TONS of storage, all with very intuitive access points. Handling was excellent and I was very surprised by the effectiveness of the new articulating keel. Oddly enough I didn't really notice it at all for steering but it really helped the boat track straight. This was really noticeable when we trolled along at 2-3 MPH. Using no-wake mode to control our trolling speed was very convenient as well. Going back to the steering thing I do still think the Thrust Vector will still be critical for low speed steering so hopefully JBP can get something rolling there! The boat we tested was a pre-production model of course and despite projected deliveries to kick off as soon as July or August they were still grilling us for input on potential changes. Again, I'm not much into fishing these days, and we most certainly didn't use it to fish today, but I have to think they've pretty much hit it out of the park here. I'll go ahead and do some knit-picking just for the sake of it. Some small suggestions we made were pretty obvious. I think it would make sense to add some fishing pedestals, especially since there are a few spots that they would fit perfectly and would work well. I actually really like the center console design, and I love standing up to drive but the driver's seat was awfully tall, even being 6'1". Beyond that the seating in general left a little bit to be desired. While very convenient, the flip-up cockpit seating feels more like "point A to point B" seating, not something you want to sit down and chill in all day. I do have to keep reminding myself that is par for the course for this segment but it still catches me off guard a bit. The spray down hose didn't have much power at all but there is a chance that it was missing the nozzle on the end of the sprayer...we will have to wait for production models for the final verdict there. Not that this is unusual for a fishing boat either but it was kind of noisy, more so than the SX190. I think a lot of the noise comes from the changing station cavity. I would think some acoustic foam would remedy that pretty well so we will see if they take that suggestion! I was also surprised that they don't have any kind of depth finder or other electronics. The helm has a giant open space on it, no doubt intended to house a fish finder, but why they wouldn't at least have something in place on the premium model was a little confusing to me. I know people get pretty picky about what finder they use, what size, etc. so I assume they've left it up to the consumer for that reason. One final complaint, and part of this probably stems from the fact that it has been a while since I was in a 190 but the power was a little underwhelming. We did hit 39MPH with 4 people on board, and it did get there pretty quickly and planed out just fine, as expected, but something about being WOT and seeing the needle sub-40 MPH was a little bit of a bummer. Gimme the 212X all day! Anyway, overall I was very impressed by what Yamaha has done and I'm pretty excited about having an option for a fish and ski model. It's not only a great boat from a "fun factor" standpoint but more importantly it is a very legitimate contender as a recreational fishing boat, even something your bass boat buddies will be impressed by!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the review, very informative! I've been eyeing this boat since it came out, can't wait to see one in person

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I recently got to test drive this boat and Garret @RiverValley summed up my thoughts on it very well. I liked the layout and storage too. The t-top was really solid - you could do pull-ups on it! I won't bother posting duplicate posts to what Garret shot, but will show a few other details not covered and some videos.

The wash down pump worked fine for me, didn't have a normal hose pressure, but should be good enough for rinsing the boat off. It won't be blasting off stubborn fish guts! I also noticed that the throttle control doesn't have the usual button at the axis that you can press to rev the engines in neutral. This would have enabled one to increase the hose pressure (consider that Yamaha). The only concern I have with it is that since the engine has to be running to operate it, and the wash down switch pumps up the engine to approx 2500 RPM, the chance of pulling something into the pump goes up. Use with caution around lines and ropes!

The dash was nicely laid out. I didn't have a problem with the big space for customer supplied electronics as this is pretty standard on a fishing boat. There was also nice access to the back of the dash from inside the changing/storage area so mounting electronics is easier. PLUS they provide TWO accessory circuit breakers for add on electronics. I WISH they would provide at least one accessory port on all their models!

The single engine didn't have the oomph of the twin engine boats, but performed as I expected for its power. It tracked really well though waves with little to no walking or wiggling. Since it has the articulating keel it tracks at slow speeds better than boats without the "rudder" and requires less correcting. Here is a video that demonstrates this:

When discussing it with my brother who lives in Tampa and would like a flats boat, he asked if there was a built in "power pole" or somewhere to mount one. There is not, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to add one as the stern isn't a flat transom like many flats boats. Not sure what the options there would be. I also agree with Garret that the sport boat with t-top needs pedestals. The do come with the deluxe model, but not with the sport model (has the t-top) - I thought that was strange.

I think this boat will be popular and even more so if they build a twin engine 21 or 24' version!

My single biggest complaint is the complete lack of ANY cup holders! Apparently the idea was to keep the design clean and focused or something along those lines, but not having a cup holder has been a proven problem is pretty much every vehicle made. The german car makers resisted cup holders too....now they all have them! So WAKE UP YAMAHA, put in the cup holders from the factory or your buyers will be SERIOUSLY annoyed, followed by your dealers for having to drill them in afterwards. The funny part is they had an aftermarket suction cup cup-holder on the dash because......well....because they needed one for their drinks! And it isn't like they didn't have room for cup holders...there is plenty of room!

Here is a quick video of the dash and cup-holder options:

EDITED--Somehow I copied in an older version of my text---the wash down text is updated.

Last edited:

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank You for the write up and videos...can't wait to see one in person and if they will make a twin engine model.....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bgruhn76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Greetings from Clearwater, FL. I have grown up on boats here. From age 4 and up. My last boat was a Grady White Offshore 24 WAC. Loved it, but cuddy was a waste of space for us, and it was a very heavy boat. Not to mention the 350 v8 was thirsty. I got out of the boat scene (owning them, not going out on them) for a bit. Got into jet skis (rec and race). I have been eye balling the FSH for some time now. I like it because it adds both of my worlds, boat and PWC. I am having a difficult time deciding which of the 3 models to go for though. I have read the differences, and it's like they need an ala carte option as well. Like Deluxe with T-Top, or Sport with pedestals, or base with wash down, etc. Also wish they would offer all 3 lines with white hulls. Anyway...nice write-ups and videos. I look forward to making a purchase within 6 months.

Sutter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ordered a new fsh sport. I want to put rod holders on the T Top. Could anyone help me out with the T top tubing size so I can get some ordered? 2"?

RiverValley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! I'm not sure on the tube size but I know Will at Jet Boat Pilot has some really nice rod holders for that boat. He threw them on our JBP Edition FSH for the Minneapolis Boat Show and they looked great and were a big hit. Check out his site when you get a chance!